• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DEF Problem

Floyd sabit

Sep 22, 2018
Truck Year
Hello everyone! I'm the new guy for awhile til someone else takes over after me. Anyway I like to do my own mechanic work and always try find solutions to my vehicle problems. I have a Ram 1500 eco diesel Truck and I am glad to say this has been the best truck I've ever owned. My truck has a countdown on my mileage saying something like 280 km til the truck won't start. Service DEF take it to dealer. Anyway I've been trying to buy some time so that I can save a bit of money by trying to find a solutuon. So far I took apart the DEF nozzle and resetting the codes to no availed but willing to try anything else someone out there has tried and worked. Thank you in advance.

John

Nov 13, 2015
If cleaning the DEF injector and a 10-15 minute drive afterwards didn't do the trick, it could possibly be the DEF pump.

John

Nov 13, 2015
If you get jammed up with the no start you can jump the starter relay and avoid the no start.

Attachments

• Emergency Start REVISED.pdf
    194.1 KB · Views: 55

Floyd sabit

Sep 22, 2018
Truck Year
So far the responses are very helpful...and appreciate the input thank you guys

Floyd sabit

Sep 22, 2018
Truck Year
I hope you get it figured out.
Update!! Ok yesterday I was going to take the DEF tank to steam clean it but couldn't take off the DEF hose fitting off take so all I ended up doing was removing electrical connections and putting it back together. With 240 km left til the will not start and service def message I thought I may as well go on a long drive, which I did about 300 km. I made sure I My transmission was in a lower gear to get more heat into the exhaust. I looked for the message after 50 km it was gone! So when I got home and I checked the message it was still gone...and I went over 240 km so The truck shouldn't have allowed me to start the engine but it started and the message is still not appearing. I'm glad I don't have to take it too the shop today. Thanks everyone!

John

Nov 13, 2015
I'm going to guess cleaning the DEF injector did the trick. Like I had mentioned you have to drive the truck for some time for the message to go away. Glad to hear it's good now.

Floyd sabit

Sep 22, 2018
Truck Year
I'm going to guess cleaning the DEF injector did the trick. Like I had mentioned you have to drive the truck for some time for the message to go away. Glad to hear it's good now.
yes clearing the code and going for a long drive did the trick...thanks for your input!

Floyd sabit

Sep 22, 2018
Truck Year
One final note I would like to add to this condition is...I am going to make it a regular maintenance action to clean the DEF nozzle every six month or every 80,000km just so my system will run continuously without causing a problem.