• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Diesel Contamination

Techmendz

Feb 13, 2017
Truck Year
Hello all,

I bought the truck as a certified pre-owned with 60k miles on it and also purchased an extended warranty with Ally which covers pretty much the whole car, it's called the Major Guard.

About a month ago, I was on my way home when suddenly the car stalled and turned off. Called the tow truck and had it towed to the nearest dealer. Just got a call that they found DEF in the diesel tank and Powertrain warranty will not cover the repairs. Ally is sending an inspector to check on the repairs that need to be done which will determine if they will cover it. I have owned plenty of diesel cars and trucks in the past and know better than to put DEF in the wrong place which brings me to the actual issue. Has anyone had any issues with contaminated diesel that contains DEF from gas stations? Also, since I am located in Miami and with the passing of Hurricane Irma is there a chance that any of the gas stations may have had their diesel contaminated either from the shortage of diesel and gas before the storm or after the storm? Lastly, if Ally will not cover the repairs, has anyone had a successful claim with Geico Comprehensive Insurance?

Sorry for the long post but I have never had this type of problem before and hoping for some light at the end of the tunnel.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hello all,

I bought the truck as a certified pre-owned with 60k miles on it and also purchased an extended warranty with Ally which covers pretty much the whole car, it's called the Major Guard.

About a month ago, I was on my way home when suddenly the car stalled and turned off. Called the tow truck and had it towed to the nearest dealer. Just got a call that they found DEF in the diesel tank and Powertrain warranty will not cover the repairs. Ally is sending an inspector to check on the repairs that need to be done which will determine if they will cover it. I have owned plenty of diesel cars and trucks in the past and know better than to put DEF in the wrong place which brings me to the actual issue. Has anyone had any issues with contaminated diesel that contains DEF from gas stations? Also, since I am located in Miami and with the passing of Hurricane Irma is there a chance that any of the gas stations may have had their diesel contaminated either from the shortage of diesel and gas before the storm or after the storm? Lastly, if Ally will not cover the repairs, has anyone had a successful claim with Geico Comprehensive Insurance?

Sorry for the long post but I have never had this type of problem before and hoping for some light at the end of the tunnel.

Welcome. Do you have the receipt from when you filled up? Did you call the station to have them check the tanks for contamination? In most cases, if you can get some proof the station caused the contamination, their insurance will foot the bill. But, since it's been a month, I'd said that window might have passed.

Techmendz

Feb 13, 2017
Truck Year
Thanks Boost, happy to be here.

Yeah, I honestly don't even remember which was the last gas station I used since we have several nearby. From now on, I am keeping receipts on the wife's car (BMW 3 Series Diesel) in case this crap happens to her car.

Welcome. Do you have the receipt from when you filled up? Did you call the station to have them check the tanks for contamination? In most cases, if you can get some proof the station caused the contamination, their insurance will foot the bill. But, since it's been a month, I'd said that window might have passed.

Techmendz

Feb 13, 2017
Truck Year
Is there a connection between the DEF tank and the Diesel tank that residual buildup from the DEF could get into the Diesel tank?

John

Nov 13, 2015
Hello all,

Seems unlikely to me that the station would have diesel contaminated with DEF. Water is a real possibility though.

Techmendz

Feb 13, 2017
Truck Year
My same thought.

Here in Miami I have not seen DEF pumps either in any of the gas stations I have pumped so water seems like the correct culprit.

Seems unlikely to me that the station would have diesel contaminated with DEF. Water is a real possibility though.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Damn, thanks. I guess the only thing to do at this point is to test the diesel fuel to make sure the dealer is correct.

That's a great idea to get a sample of the fuel. If DEF (or water for that matter) is indeed the case I wonder if your auto insurance comprehensive coverage would apply. Good luck with everything.

Techmendz

Feb 13, 2017
Truck Year
That's a great idea to get a sample of the fuel. If DEF (or water for that matter) is indeed the case I wonder if your auto insurance comprehensive coverage would apply. Good luck with everything.

Thanks John, I have Geico with Comprehensive Insurance so if Ally can't help me, Geico is my last shot.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Sounds like a typical dealership trying to screw the customer. When it shut off was it sudden, any strange noises or bangs, did it sputter at all or just randomly shut off?

Techmendz

Feb 13, 2017
Truck Year
Sounds like a typical dealership trying to screw the customer. When it shut off was it sudden, any strange noises or bangs, did it sputter at all or just randomly shut off?

I was making a left at a light and it shut off. No strange noises at all, no sputtering.