• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Does anyone know of the Z46 recall and when a fix is coming from Ram 2015 ecodiesel ?

Chuck D

Jan 30, 2023
Truck Year
Does anyone know of the Z46 recall and when a fix is coming from Ram 2015 ecodiesel ?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
No one knows. Yesterday my Service Manager said he's heard nothing

PA Steve

Jun 21, 2018
Truck Year
Regarding the Z46 recall (High-Pressure Diesel Fuel Pump), it has been an open recall for almost a year now and RAM has not developed a solution as of June 2023. I'm concerned, as all owners are, that if the HDFP fails how does it get repaired and are additional repairs that are required by the failure covered by RAM? Because of this concern, I checked with local dealers for the availability of the recalled fuel pump and found one in stock. I reserved the pump and scheduled my recall visit. All went well until they found out that the fuel pump was not authorized to be used for the recall by RAM. Multiple calls and e-mails to Chrysler did nothing to resolve this, as the manufacturer stood by that a solution has not been developed for this recall. Apparently, the replacement fuel pumps that are being sold through RAM dealers is the same pump that is under the Z46 recall. Why would a manufacturer sell a part with a known defect that has been recalled? They have known about this issue for a year and have yet to design a reliable pump and continue to sell a known faulty pump.
Also, in general, what is the manufacturer's responsibility for incidental damage caused by a recall issue that they fail to remedy?

2015 RAM 1500 ECO, 155K miles, totally stock

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Why would a manufacturer sell a part with a known defect that has been recalled? They have known about this issue for a year and have yet to design a reliable pump and continue to sell a known faulty pump.
Also, in general, what is the manufacturer's responsibility for incidental damage caused by a recall issue that they fail to remedy?

2015 RAM 1500 ECO, 155K miles, totally stock
Welcome to the forum
You should research before you rant.

This pump has not been a problem for the Ecodiesl. It started with the pump being a problem on the Cummins engines. NHTSA caused that recall. Then, because the Eco was using the same pump, even though it has a very low failure rate, a recall was issued for the ECO. The Cummins replacement was easy as they had a reliable CP3 pump available, just needed to be adapted/modified. There is no other pump available for the Eco.

Ram is legitimately still selling/using the CP4 pump for the Eco because there is no other option. If your existing Eco pump fails they can only replace it with another CP4 pump.

Ram's responsibility is to honor its warranties. Including but not sure what you mean by, "incidental damage caused by a recall issue".

Most of us are very happy that our CP4s will also be replaced as it was a unexpected, a surprise, and the wait for the right product is totally acceptable

Last edited:

DomJuan

Jun 2, 2023
Truck Year
So just got my baby back with all high and low pressure fuel systems completely replaced (2014 ecodiesel). However, the recall/permanent part does not even exist as of yet. Anyone else dealing with this issue? Just curious as to what actions anyone has taken if so…and the class action lawsuit has been cancelled to my understanding? Dom P

jodysmith1424

Feb 21, 2022
Truck Year
The pump in the Eco is definitely a problem. Mine is associated with the Z46 recall. My truck has only been drivable 8 out of the past 92 days. It’s been to the dealer twice. It’s currently been parked at my house the past 34 days. First go round at the dealer they blamed a WIX fuel filter and charged me $1,346 out of pocket saying it wasn’t covered under warranty since it didn’t have an OEM filter. Can’t really argue much there. But, less than 24 hours after I had it back the same thing happened. Truck shut off going down the highway. Hesitated to start. Let it cool off and it finally started. I was three miles from the dealer. Called the dealer and they said to see if it will make it, if not, we’ll send a tow truck. Took two intervals to make it those 3 miles. Dealer got approval from Dodge to replace my HPFP with a new , but still recalled HPFP (this took 5 weeks and was only given a courtesy truck for 3 weeks at the tail end after practically having to beg for one). 7 days later the new HPFP failed. Opened a claim with FCA/Dodge and was told not to take it to the dealer. This was 30 plus days ago. I’ve since been paying out of pocket for rentals. Suppose to be getting reimbursed for rentals as well as the first repair. Haven’t seen a dime yet. My case manager is useless. Doesn’t answer or return my calls and has been taking about 8 days to respond to emails. Avoids any questions I ask and only acknowledges she has received my receipts for reimbursement. Hope nobody else is dealing with this because it’s a nightmare. Haven’t been given any timeline on a remedy or solution. I’m out of a drivable vehicle with an open claim and just as lost on the solution as John and Steve. Any advice on what I should do? I’ve hit the $10K mark on out of pocket expenses. I’ll let you know if I get any updates. 3 months and so far this situation is regressing.

DomJuan

Jun 2, 2023
Truck Year
Hey hey. Hate to say it but it is time to part ways while you can. Mine is currently up for sale after getting both high and low pressure fuel systems replaced. Luckily when I turned it in (towed it there due to hfhp) it was under warranty - warranty ran out while sitting at dealer because it sat there so long. I just don’t trust it any longer and another extended warranty costs as much as getting a new vehicle darn near. Don’t know why there is no class action law suit on this any longer!!!! Dodge/Stalaris don’t care one bit either which has me totally turned off at this point.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Hey hey. Hate to say it but it is time to part ways while you can. Mine is currently up for sale after getting both high and low pressure fuel systems replaced. Luckily when I turned it in (towed it there due to hfhp) it was under warranty - warranty ran out while sitting at dealer because it sat there so long. I just don’t trust it any longer and another extended warranty costs as much as getting a new vehicle darn near. Don’t know why there is no class action law suit on this any longer!!!! Dodge/Stalaris don’t care one bit either which has me totally turned off at this point.
Glad to hear your problems are solved. Hoping your sale goes well.

There's no class action suit because the Eco HPFP failure rate is so low there's no fault. And because there is a recall to replace the HPFP there's nothing to sue about.

One last reminder, it is a Ram, not a Dodge.

MXZ0588

Mar 24, 2020
Truck Year
The pump in the Eco is definitely a problem. Mine is associated with the Z46 recall. My truck has only been drivable 8 out of the past 92 days. It’s been to the dealer twice. It’s currently been parked at my house the past 34 days. First go round at the dealer they blamed a WIX fuel filter and charged me $1,346 out of pocket saying it wasn’t covered under warranty since it didn’t have an OEM filter. Can’t really argue much there. But, less than 24 hours after I had it back the same thing happened. Truck shut off going down the highway. Hesitated to start. Let it cool off and it finally started. I was three miles from the dealer. Called the dealer and they said to see if it will make it, if not, we’ll send a tow truck. Took two intervals to make it those 3 miles. Dealer got approval from Dodge to replace my HPFP with a new , but still recalled HPFP (this took 5 weeks and was only given a courtesy truck for 3 weeks at the tail end after practically having to beg for one). 7 days later the new HPFP failed. Opened a claim with FCA/Dodge and was told not to take it to the dealer. This was 30 plus days ago. I’ve since been paying out of pocket for rentals. Suppose to be getting reimbursed for rentals as well as the first repair. Haven’t seen a dime yet. My case manager is useless. Doesn’t answer or return my calls and has been taking about 8 days to respond to emails. Avoids any questions I ask and only acknowledges she has received my receipts for reimbursement. Hope nobody else is dealing with this because it’s a nightmare. Haven’t been given any timeline on a remedy or solution. I’m out of a drivable vehicle with an open claim and just as lost on the solution as John and Steve. Any advice on what I should do? I’ve hit the $10K mark on out of pocket expenses. I’ll let you know if I get any updates. 3 months and so far this situation is regressing.
I feel your pain. I had a similar experience with the EGR cooler recall a few years ago on my 17'. Luckily my dealer provided a loaner the whole time. so, no out of pocket expenses. I retained a lemon law attorney, but just missed the 30 day deadline. To bad our trucks are to old now for that to be an option any longer. Ram customer care as you stated is useless. they could care less and are nasty to deal with. The Z46 recall is definitely an issue for these Eco's. I just got mine back from the dealer after about two weeks for the timing chain cover leaking oil. Truck has been making a growling noise recently. I brought it back and the head diesel tech (which has been very knowledgeable for every problem this lemon has had) stated its the CP4 on its way out. But, no parts to be had. Service manager stated they have been "told" sometime this summer parts will be available and you're on a wait list for when they come in as you are likely to see a failure in the not so distant future. Let us know if and when you get yours back.... Hopefully you don't need to fight Ram legally to get your expenses back.

Last edited:

jodysmith1424

Feb 21, 2022
Truck Year
Definitely not a pleasant situation to be in. Stellantis/FCA doesn’t exactly give you a warm fuzzy feeling inside that everything’s going to be okay and they have your back. I’ve had vehicles, including the Eco, in the shop numerous times and never experienced anything similar to this. The whole thing has been odd from day 1. They’re usually always trying to sell you some service you don’t need or give updates on a regular basis. Everybody from the bottom to the top avoid you like the plague when the guy with failed HPFP in the Eco calls or walks in. FCA told me there’s no point in even taking it to the dealership yet. It’s been at my house for around 35 days. Crazy how I waited 5 weeks for the HPFP this past time and they’re not even educated enough on the problem yet for the new one to last a week. I’ll be the first to admit that I have no clue what other damage a failed HPFP does. I’ll keep you updated 👍

DomJuan

Jun 2, 2023
Truck Year
So, I propose a meeting to discuss what we need to do to fight back here…thoughts? It’s not like these vehicles are just old and just NOW starting to have issues. There have been issues since day 1. I feel like I keep getting screwed and they don’t care because maybe they know there is nothing we can do? I’m a reasonable guy and can take a lot but this is absolutely 100% unreasonable and they should be held responsible in some form or fashion. Sorry for the vent!

DomJuan

Jun 2, 2023
Truck Year
And thankful to be a part of this forum. Appreciate everyone in the feed! Hard to explain to others what’s been happening because it’s mind boggling unless you are actually living it.

MXZ0588

Mar 24, 2020
Truck Year
anyone heard any updates from there dealers or heard of anyone getting parts?

Robb3057

Dec 19, 2021
Truck Year
Welcome to the forum
You should research before you rant.

This pump has not been a problem for the Ecodiesl. It started with the pump being a problem on the Cummins engines. NHTSA caused that recall. Then, because the Eco was using the same pump, even though it has a very low failure rate, a recall was issued for the ECO. The Cummins replacement was easy as they had a reliable CP3 pump available, just needed to be adapted/modified. There is no other pump available for the Eco.

Ram is legitimately still selling/using the CP4 pump for the Eco because there is no other option. If your existing Eco pump fails they can only replace it with another CP4 pump.

Ram's responsibility is to honor its warranties. Including but not sure what you mean by, "incidental damage caused by a recall issue".

Most of us are very happy that our CP4s will also be replaced as it was a unexpected, a surprise, and the wait for the right product is totally acceptable
Wow! You must work for RAM. Bottom line is it’s a known reliability issue with enough failures to warrant a recall. It became their responsibility when they issued the recall therefore any issue that arises as a result of a failure of the part is on them. 13 months is more than sufficient time for a resolution for this issue.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Wow! You must work for RAM. Bottom line is it’s a known reliability issue with enough failures to warrant a recall. It became their responsibility when they issued the recall therefore any issue that arises as a result of a failure of the part is on them. 13 months is more than sufficient time for a resolution for this issue.
So what did I say that is wrong? Or, are you just mad?

Robb3057

Dec 19, 2021
Truck Year
Your post basically said that we shouldn’t worry and that this issue is not really Ram’s responsibility on ECO diesels. It is their responsibility since they issued the recall. It is rediculous to take over a year for some type of resolution. And you can bet that if that part fails on my truck I will be all over them for any expense related to the failure.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Your post basically said that we shouldn’t worry and that this issue is not really Ram’s responsibility on ECO diesels. It is their responsibility since they issued the recall. It is rediculous to take over a year for some type of resolution. And you can bet that if that part fails on my truck I will be all over them for any expense related to the failure.
Correct, not to worry because the HPFP has not been a problem with Ecodiesls. Sure, there have been failures but the failure rate is very low, unlike the Cummins failure rate. I said, "Ram's responsibility is to honor its warranties", how do you interpret that as "not really Ram's responsibility"?

I agree the time lapse in developing a new pump is disappointing but not sure it's "ridiculous" as I have no idea what is involved in designing, building, testing, manufacturing, and obtaining EPA approvals.

Jaywade58

Jul 9, 2023
Truck Year
Correct, not to worry because the HPFP has not been a problem with Ecodiesls. Sure, there have been failures but the failure rate is very low, unlike the Cummins failure rate. I said, "Ram's responsibility is to honor its warranties", how do you interpret that as "not really Ram's responsibility"?

I agree the time lapse in developing a new pump is disappointing but not sure it's "ridiculous" as I have no idea what is involved in designing, building, testing, manufacturing, and obtaining EPA approvals.
It may not be a problem for u but as someone who is making payments on a truck that’s sitting dead at the dealership waiting on a hpfp that fca won’t pay to replace, it’s a problem for a lot of people

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
It may not be a problem for u but as someone who is making payments on a truck that’s sitting dead at the dealership waiting on a hpfp that fca won’t pay to replace, it’s a problem for a lot of people
I understand your dilemma.
There are posts across the forums where owners with failed pumps got them replaced elsewhere or by the owner because the dealer had no parts and Ram Cares explained how to get reimbursed.

Ironcity

Dec 16, 2020
Truck Year
My truck just got the new high pressure fuel pump installed via recall on July 7th. The truck was at the dealer for the airbag recall and they told me there are no parts as of yet for the fuel pump recall on July 5th. Then July 6th they called and said they just received the new part. Installed it on the 7th. In fact, I was told they didn’t even have billing instructions for the dealership yet for the recall work on the pump. Look for your dealerships to start receiving the parts.