• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ECM BOLT

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
OK don’t laugh, I wanted to know if anyone knew the size of the bolts that retain the ECM in place. The reason why I was asking is I want to use an expensive tool ( Snap-On,Matco, ) to remove the ECM that won’t leave tool marks that way if the dealer has to do warranty work on the truck he won’t realize that the ECM has been removed and sent to GDE to be tuned. I think it is a 10 mm bolt but I wanted to know was it a 6,8,12,point so I can order the right socket.

John

Nov 13, 2015
It's 10 mm. The 6 or 12 point socket will work. I guess the six point will likely leave less evidence. Personally, I don't think you will ever have to worry about forensic science being part of a dealers technique. :)

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
It's 10 mm. The 6 or 12 point socket will work. I guess the six point will likely leave less evidence. Personally, I don't think you will ever have to worry about forensic science being part of a dealers technique. :)
Thank you

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
What John said plus:
My dealer has removed and reinstalled my stock and GDE tuned ECMs several times. The first time it was removed the bolts were "factory" tight, very hard to loosen. Those bolts have marks on them from the factory and the dealer - if you are really anal about it, install with new bolts. However, I think new bolts would be more obvious than the used factory ones. I wouldn't worry at all about the bolt's condition.

I would buy the 6 point 10mm socket as it would fit better and be better at loosening tight bolts. The lower bolts are a pain and a good socket is worth it. Once removed and you don't over tighten when replacing, a 12 point socket would easier than a 6 point because you have a shorter throw.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
What John said plus:
My dealer has removed and reinstalled my stock and GDE tuned ECMs several times. The first time it was removed the bolts were "factory" tight, very hard to loosen. Those bolts have marks on them from the factory and the dealer - if you are really anal about it, install with new bolts. However, I think new bolts would be more obvious than the used factory ones. I wouldn't worry at all about the bolt's condition.

I would buy the 6 point 10mm socket as it would fit better and be better at loosening tight bolts. The lower bolts are a pain and a good socket is worth it. Once removed and you don't over tighten when replacing, a 12 point socket would easier than a 6 point because you have a shorter throw.
Thanks now that’s the kind of answer I was looking for.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
(y)