• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Eco Diesel engine fires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick1234567

Jan 13, 2020
Truck Year
This is my first post, but I think every Ram ecodiesel owner needs to know. I have a 2015 Ram that had an engine fire Dec 31 on interstate 81. My son and I put the fire out. It was transported on a roll back to the dealership. I then waited two weeks for FCA to tell me it’s not their fault even though I have a recall saying they are catching on fire. Their advice was to file a claim with my insurance. Has anyone else had any fires?

John

Nov 13, 2015
Definitely let your insurance handle t. They will subrogate with FCA if they feel it's in their best interest.

Swgunn

Jan 15, 2019
Truck Year
This is my first post, but I think every Ram ecodiesel owner needs to know. I have a 2015 Ram that had an engine fire Dec 31 on interstate 81. My son and I put the fire out. It was transported on a roll back to the dealership. I then waited two weeks for FCA to tell me it’s not their fault even though I have a recall saying they are catching on fire. Their advice was to file a claim with my insurance. Has anyone else had any fires?
Yes Rick I also had a 2015 catch on fire at 59,000 miles FCA also accepting no responsibility and said that fires happened. My insurance put a used motor in with less miles it would have been cheaper to put a new engine in with the new settlement warranty. The used engine had a hundred thousand mile warranty on it but be aware it was only for parts. After some negotiation with the dealership they agreed to pay parts and labor. For the hundred thousand miles. My insurance company must have negotiated with FCA because for some reason they sent me back my $500 deductible. Follow Mom post okay. I will be glad to help any way I can.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Yes Rick I also had a 2015 catch on fire at 59,000 miles FCA also accepting no responsibility and said that fires happened. My insurance put a used motor in with less miles it would have been cheaper to put a new engine in with the new settlement warranty. The used engine had a hundred thousand mile warranty on it but be aware it was only for parts. After some negotiation with the dealership they agreed to pay parts and labor. For the hundred thousand miles. My insurance company must have negotiated with FCA because for some reason they sent me back my $500 deductible. Follow Mom post okay. I will be glad to help any way I can.
Glad the insurance took care of it. FYI The settlement warranty doesn't cover the engine.

Will_CathVT

Jul 9, 2019
Truck Year
If all else fails, contact the law firm that sued FCA to begin with, from what I've read, they can help.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I am still confused over this issue. The EGR failure recall is in response to the engine fire issue as well as engine internal failure. Yet FCA wants to deny knowledge of every engine fire. I would be lead to believe that reports to NHTSA of engine fires may change some minds. I did not report my AEM running issues because I thought it would take years for NHTSA and FCA to respond if at all and I went the tune route with great results. But I should have reported like others did.

Older Slower Wiser

Dec 10, 2016
Truck Year
Mine caught fire a couple days ago. Lifted hood to see why it was smoking. Saw a small flame, pulled out fire extinguisher from back went to front and flames were much larger. Put out fire and let it cool down.

Pulled the plastic engine cover off and thick foam piece that was on passenger side of engine, foam was partially burnt. Then found burn’t wires and tube cover that got hot.

Truck is 2015 with 112,000 miles on it. No ecm update yet. Was talking to dealer a couple weeks ago about getting it done.

Was waiting for dealer ordering parts for other recalls on the truck.

A couple days after going to dealer got the egr cooler recall notice. Went back to dealer last week to see if parts were in and ask about egr cooler recall. They said there was no egr fix yet. Then two or three days after that the engine catches fire.

I have never trusted this truck after reading about engine failures, emissions lawsuit and engine fires. Also I’ve never gotten better than 20 mpg. Talked to dealer about fuel mileage and all I was told there were no recalls for mileage issues.

Called Ram and started a case Saturday. They wanted to know if I’ve talked to insurance company. I told them no - it wasn’t insurance companies problem.

Any suggestions? I will probably get a lawyer.

Older Slower Wiser

Dec 10, 2016
Truck Year
Mine caught fire a couple days ago. Lifted hood to see why it was smoking. Saw a small flame, pulled out fire extinguisher from back went to front and flames were much larger. Put out fire and let it cool down.

Pulled the plastic engine cover off and thick foam piece that was on passenger side of engine, foam was partially burnt. Then found burn’t wires and tube cover that got hot.

Truck is 2015 with 112,000 miles on it. No ecm update yet. Was talking to dealer a couple weeks ago about getting it done.

A couple days after going to dealer got the egr cooler recall notice. Went back to dealer last week to see if parts were in and ask about egr cooler recall. They said there was no egr fix yet. Then two or three days after that the engine catches fire.

I have never trusted this truck after reading about engine failures, emissions lawsuit and engine fires. Also I’ve never gotten better than 20 mpg. Talked to dealer about fuel mileage and all I was told there were no recalls for mileage issues.

Called Ram and started a case Saturday. They wanted to know if I’ve talked to insurance company. I told them no - it wasn’t insurance companies problem.

I bought the track new.

MARK T

Nov 27, 2019
Truck Year
HAVING THE UPDATE SAVED ME . FCA PUT A NEW MOTOR IN MY 2016. CONTACT THE LAW FIRM HANDLING THE LAW SUITE . THEY CAN TELL YOU IF THERE IS ANY LEGAL OPTIONS AT NO CHARGE. WERE YOU HAVING TO ADD COOLANT DUE TO EGR LEAKING?

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year

Report to NHTSA. Call the firm managing the AEM lawsuit settlement. The second AEM program, we have the recall statement for that, is to address issues with the original AEM, such as turbo lag, poor power, poor fuel mileage.

Older Slower Wiser

Dec 10, 2016
Truck Year
Well, think I know how my fire started. I took a long hard look at where the fire was on my truck and because I got it put out so quick I’ve got an answer.

Looks like the EGR Difusser tube got so hot it melted the edges of the thick piece of rubber insulation that covers that part of the engine. The insulation then nearly simultaneously combusted at the edges around the diffuser tube. Before I could put it out it also melted wires and at least one (vacuum line?).

This is something I think every 2014, 15 and 16 owner needs to see. “ REMOVE THE RUBBER INSULATOR AROUND THE DIFFUSER TUBE TILL RAM COMES UP WITH A FIX.

Blow up the attached photo and you can see where the insulation melted around the diffuser cavity.

Attachments

• 17704F3B-AE1C-43A1-A911-CEBB4D8BE5AF.jpeg
    17704F3B-AE1C-43A1-A911-CEBB4D8BE5AF.jpeg
    397 KB · Views: 48

Swgunn

Jan 15, 2019
Truck Year

Same story over again my 2015 burnt at 50 60,000 MI follow my. Firepost.

shawnmower87

Jan 20, 2020
Truck Year
Well, think I know how my fire started. I took a long hard look at where the fire was on my truck and because I got it put out so quick I’ve got an answer.

Looks like the EGR Difusser tube got so hot it melted the edges of the thick piece of rubber insulation that covers that part of the engine. The insulation then nearly simultaneously combusted at the edges around the diffuser tube. Before I could put it out it also melted wires and at least one (vacuum line?).

This is something I think every 2014, 15 and 16 owner needs to see. “ REMOVE THE RUBBER INSULATOR AROUND THE DIFFUSER TUBE TILL RAM COMES UP WITH A FIX.

Blow up the attached photo and you can see where the insulation melted around the diffuser cavity.
i HAVE A 2019, GONNA go home and remove this asap. thanks for s=posting the actual cause or, the suspected
culprit

I havent had a fire yet, but I do occasionally smell burning plastic under the hood at idle.

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
Having done a full delete (about 117,000 miles), I noticed that while removing the EGR tube, there was a noticeably thick diesel greasy soot from the EGR recirculating around 30% to 40% of the exhaust/and sparks through the intake manifold, and there is soot deposited on the inside walls of the intake manifold. Using a screwdriver, I scraped some off and I found it was anywhere from 1/16 to as much as 3/16 inch thick, coating every sq. inch inside the Manifold top and bottom. I would have to assume that is where your fires are starting. (Other then an electrical fire, and/or something getting hot, where is the fire source coming from?), under certain conditions a turbocharger producing full boost at full throttle (even briefly) is moving super High heated air in spite of the aftercooler, and going into a very greasy internally coated intake manifold plus the heat and possible sparks getting through the EGR which it shouldn't but maybe dose on occasions . "Could that be the fuel source?" That kind of greasy soot can and dose burn very hot and something on rare occasions is igniting it, then no more pickup. I did not have an antifreeze internal leak, mine was external on the EGR valve itself, If antifreeze is possible adding to the problem, which is assuming that antifreeze will burn, which I have never heard of before, I would think that antifreeze is not the culprit, but the greasy soot put inside the manifold by the EGR and with a High heat or a glowing ember/spark of some type starting the grease on fire. I have seen this on big truck 4 and 2 stroke diesel engines with a badly worn valves or turbo chargers leaking oil around the turbine shafts and going into a intake or exhaust manifold. At night you could see them pushing fire a foot out the top of the exhausts and the exhaust pipes glowing Red hot. Our big farm tractors exhaust manifolds and turbocharger turbine housings and manifolds would turn white hot, you could see them at night 1/4 mile away. They had a lot of hours on them and were slobbering a little oil. Think about the EGR over time depositing a greasy soot inside the intake manifold especially at a cold start up and just Idling around, it would be worse then leaking turbocharger or wore out valves because it is grease, now you have a fuel source waiting for something to get out of control, burn through and catch the aluminum manifold on fire while the turbocharger adds air velocity to the fire till the engine dies. (try putting out a grease fire in confined space sometime, they get super hot in a short amount of time and are nearly impossible to put out). If you can delete the EGR tube some way as I did, I think your fire problem is solved, stopping the soot/grease build up. keep in mind this is opinion, an educated guess with a little experience with burning grease and aluminum.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
IMO, their are multi cause of Fires for the 3.0VM. Turbo,Fuel leaks, Plenum, Leaky EGR and electrical.

Remove all that plastic and sound foam that in includes the CP4 cover, and practice good engine hygiene.

I need to find the picture of an internal melted Plenum (Somewhere on one of My computers) IMO the soot effects the swirl valves and eventually the Intake valves, At combustion the intake valve(s) will denotate or warp, this will allow the flame to ignite the soot in the plenum, the plastic will melt and burn, its all over at this point and even 1 fire extinguisher and garden hose was NOT able to put it out after the engine flamed up in this owners driveway.

Rumor has it NO fix for all the fires, Stay away from owning 3.0VM Dsl. Just to risky.

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
It sounds like we are thinking that the greasy soot accumulation is possible fueling the fire at the very first. The question is what is starting the fire? Your thinking that the fire ignition source, is possibly coming through the valves or swirl valves inside the manifold itself? Your guess is as good or better then mine. I would add, that super heated air from the exhaust/intake coming from the turbo "may be" a cause also. My Edge engine monitor with a EXT exhaust probe, under a hard pull, will top 1500 degrees in a heartbeat if I let it. That will start a fire some place, if a fuel source is available. I was waiting for my Edge monitor to come in on order, in the mean time I installed the delete kit's SS EGR port cover plate that is located between the turbo exhaust side and exhaust manifold pipe on the rear right side of the engine. Before I put it in, I drilled and Tapped the SS plate with an 1/8 NPT thread for the SS EXT probe collar nut, and put in a brass pipe plug. When I got the gauge and the probe, I then tried to screw out the brass plug, It wouldn't budge. I removed the plate and found that the plug threads had protruded thru the plate, had melted. I had to drill out the hole an re thread it. Point is, there is a lot of internal heat. Anyway I am at 132,000 miles and everything is good so far.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
8v71, You maybe correct, One thing is for Sure the Combination of the possibilities is lethal.

shawnmower87

Jan 20, 2020
Truck Year
IMO, their are multi cause of Fires for the 3.0VM. Turbo,Fuel leaks, Plenum, Leaky EGR and electrical.

Remove all that plastic and sound foam that in includes the CP4 cover, and practice good engine hygiene.

I need to find the picture of an internal melted Plenum (Somewhere on one of My computers) IMO the soot effects the swirl valves and eventually the Intake valves, At combustion the intake valve(s) will denotate or warp, this will allow the flame to ignite the soot in the plenum, the plastic will melt and burn, its all over at this point and even 1 fire extinguisher and garden hose was NOT able to put it out after the engine flamed up in this owners driveway.

Rumor has it NO fix for all the fires, Stay away from owning 3.0VM Dsl. Just to risky.
Your experience and attitude could help in a positive way if you choose to apply it to help instead of warn. I greatly appreciate it as most would. As most of us cannot afford to change what we bought, I believe that your knowledge and others here can help to find solutions in developing aftermarket fixes for these engines to not only perfrom better but avoid all of the issues we are coming across. I.E. fires.

I cannot avoid owning this truck, and so far i fucking love it. I will upgrade the truck with time as better solutions come out to make this engine safer and so on.

Thank you again for your knowledge! keep it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.