• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Eco Diesel JGC fuel filters change - interesting observation.

Hydeski

Aug 8, 2019
Truck Year
I changed the fuel filters on our 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel today and noticed one of the filters was much lighter than the other {system won’t let me upload that pic} The dealer changed last time and it looked very easy so I decide to do myself this time. I looked further and saw the rubber piece that goes inside the hole was in the filter so a couple of questions:

What would cause this to happen?

Is this why the one filter is so light as basically it wasn't filtering fuel?

Has anyone seen this before when changing their Eco-diesel fuel filters?

When I changed the filters I put a little bit of oil on the threads/rubber gasket but I don't put anything on the hole of the filter as it is my understanding that is where the fresh fuel goes back into the fuel system and I don't want to take a chance on some contaminant getting in the fuel system because I had something on my finger, etc. To be honest I am not sure if dirty fuel goes from the outside of the filter to the center or from the center to the outside. I would assume it is outside to center and then into fuel system.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Attachments

• 772DABFB-881C-4806-8ECF-2CB3A3780473.jpeg
    772DABFB-881C-4806-8ECF-2CB3A3780473.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 24

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome to the group u just saved yourself a lot of cash go have a few beers

John

Nov 13, 2015
I changed the fuel filters on our 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel today and noticed one of the filters was much lighter than the other {system won’t let me upload that pic} The dealer changed last time and it looked very easy so I decide to do myself this time. I looked further and saw the rubber piece that goes inside the hole was in the filter so a couple of questions:

What would cause this to happen?

Is this why the one filter is so light as basically it wasn't filtering fuel?

Has anyone seen this before when changing their Eco-diesel fuel filters?

When I changed the filters I put a little bit of oil on the threads/rubber gasket but I don't put anything on the hole of the filter as it is my understanding that is where the fresh fuel goes back into the fuel system and I don't want to take a chance on some contaminant getting in the fuel system because I had something on my finger, etc. To be honest I am not sure if dirty fuel goes from the outside of the filter to the center or from the center to the outside. I would assume it is outside to center and then into fuel system.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
I think maybe the rubber grommet was pushed inside the filter when the dealer installed it. It was likely filtering although there may have been slight bypass. You are correct the fuel is filtered from the outside of the filter.

What do you mean by one of the filters was much lighter than the other?

Hydeski

Aug 8, 2019
Truck Year
Forum won’t let me attach the pic showing color difference as says it is too large which makes no sense as it was taken by same phone as pic I posted. One filter looks tan and the other looks a light gray.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Forum won’t let me attach the pic showing color difference as says it is too large which makes no sense as it was taken by same phone as pic I posted. One filter looks tan and the other looks a light gray.
Are you referring to two new filters?

Hydeski

Aug 8, 2019
Truck Year
No - both fuel filters. Not sure on Ram Ecodiesel but Jeep Eco takes two identical filters side by side.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Sorry I didn't realize you had the jeep. I guess I should have read more carefully I guess one is like a prefilter and will get darker than the other.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
No - both fuel filters. Not sure on Ram Ecodiesel but Jeep Eco takes two identical filters side by side.
I have the RAM and my wife has the JEEP. The JEEP uses two identical filters side by side as you have witnessed. If one is darker or swollen that would be an indication of some type of fuel contamination or overfull. If one is a lighter color and lighter in weight, then being crazy suspicious, I would suspect that the dealer only changed one, although that would be weird. My next thought would be one is full and bypassing to the second filter. I change my own filters so that I can monitor condition, keep up the good work.