• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Eco engine failure

J.bet49

Sep 23, 2018
Truck Year
Just less then 50k on my very well taken care of 2016 Eco.
9/4/20 loss of power and distinct tapping noise. Just got the news today from dealership that my engine needs to be replaced.
3.0L engines are back ordered! No idea when they will be able to replace it!

I guess I should have expected this...everyone said these engines have issues.

Last edited:

Rebelguy2020

Aug 29, 2020
Truck Year
I hope that it is still under warranty. Warranty is good to have but it is always a pain when you’re left without a vehicle, wil you get a loaner while your truck is getting repaired?

805JARHEAD

Apr 2, 2020
Truck Year
This happened to me also twice on my 2016 Big Horn ecodiesel. Once at 54,000 miles and again at 112,000 miles. Kept all my maintenance at the dealerships and had a records. This truck really sucks and should of went with a Cummins. Both times it was covered under powertrain warranty.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
805jarhead, I tip My hat to you (y) , Their are many VM 3.0 owners on 2nd even 3rd Motor.

I'm Shocked :(by the mind set of Many 3.0 Owners , that its OK as long as it covered by Fiat.

Many Owners are the caused of the continuing Problems with the VM3.0 , They lower their expectations SO LOW that its OK for VM to produce the 3.0VM at failure rates IMO un-equaled in History.

5 years from now, I will still be reading puked engines produced By VM (3.0) and the same Its OK by Many Owners.

J.bet49

Sep 23, 2018
Truck Year
I n
805jarhead, I tip My hat to you (y) , Their are many VM 3.0 owners on 2nd even 3rd Motor.

I'm Shocked :(by the mind set of Many 3.0 Owners , that its OK as long as it covered by Fiat.

Many Owners are the caused of the continuing Problems with the VM3.0 , They lower their expectations SO LOW that its OK for VM to produce the 3.0VM at failure rates IMO un-equaled in History.

5 years from now, I will still be reading puked engines produced By VM (3.0) and the same Its OK by Many Owners.
I ever said it was "OK"

805JARHEAD

Apr 2, 2020
Truck Year
I tried to get it buy back/lemon it after the first "blown" engine. Tried again after the second blown engine and they refused. I wasn't well informed on the CA lemon laws and that after 63 total days in the shop for the same problem, I could of lemoned it. Now that its on its 3rd engine. So I recently hired https://www.slpattorney.com/
to represent me in a climate against FCA on how they duck and dodge me twice on a lemon and have them buy back the lemon. Luckily like I said earlier, I kept all documentation and a video when it went out the second time.
To sum it all up, I'm not "ok" with the truck but that's all I have and if it goes out then I'm screwed.

JohnG

Sep 22, 2020
Truck Year
Are there any class action lawsuits out there on these engine failures?

805JARHEAD

Apr 2, 2020
Truck Year
I dont think there's a class action yet, I just found an attorney who would represent me individually because I tried a buyback after the first engine fail and got denied. I found this law firm with a good winning success rate.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I generally do NOT support Class Actions, With VM/Fiat behavior on the 3.0 is the exception.

805JARHEAD

Apr 2, 2020
Truck Year
I agree TC DIESEL, however the ecodiesel engine has had so many common issues, that going this route is the only way the little guy can win. We all complained to them about it and they "fixed" the issue only to have another issue from the "fix".
Given the down time without a car, time and energy spent at the dealer and on the phone with VM/FIAT. They should be putting us on their payroll for dealing with the 3.0 engine and trying to diagnosing it for them. Lol