• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ecodiesel coolant level drop

Cindy

May 2, 2018
Truck Year
Hi,

I have a 2015 ecodiesel that has roughly 87000 kms. Roughly 3 months ago, the heating system stopped furnishing heat after the truck had been running for roughly 30 minutes. It was taken to the dealership who did a bunch of diagnostics and topped up the coolant but couldn't find any issues but the heating issue disappeared. over the last 2 weeks we had problems with the heating and checked the coolant level - it took 4 litres to just get it to fill the reservior some what but we could see it being sucked down into the radiator. Took it back to the dealership yesterday, again diagnostics were done with no issues found and the mechanic called Chrysler for help. Seems even Chrysler is stumped on this on. I now have to monitor the levels and when it gets loses about 1 litre of coolant, I have to go to the dealership for them to top up the missing coolant and log it. What is going on here?

I have been told that it could be a head gasket issue but the dealership mentioned that if they touch the EVAC system I am looking at hefty bill. Does anyone have this issue as well?

Cindy

May 2, 2018
Truck Year
$3000 later ERG valve has cracked, gotta love the fact that they managed to drag this out long enough to see that we are past the guarantee! Between having to check the coolant level everyday and bringing in the truck for top up every 2 weeks...duh, who is paying attention to this?

Biggest issue is how does the engine handle -34°C for 2 days and nights without plugging in the block heater?
I can't find anything about running the block heater while plugged into a 3000 watt generator. How long does it take for the engine block to re-heat?

Acharb

Jan 28, 2019
Truck Year
At -36°c it took our truck 45 minutes to warm up the block enough to start. We tried starting it at 20 minutes,30 minutes and then at 45 minutes. It was progressivly getting better each time we tried.

hunter2016

Jan 30, 2019
Truck Year
been there, noticed no heat coming out but it appeared the coolant was still in the bottle, found out I was down a gallon and the bottle will always have some in it. Same issue a crack in the ERG valve released coolant into the exhaust and therefore no tell tail leak on the floor. Expensive repair to return dirty air into the engine - what we do for pollution control. At least I seem to have a good mechanic that knew almost immediately what the issue was. I do plug mine in when very cold, but the block heater is not big and I would not expect it to heat the engine to a "hot" level. I believe, and no expert, they are meant to keep the coolant moving through the engine and therefore will never keep it very hot. Perhaps others will have more definitive facts.

David Hutchings

Jan 11, 2019
Truck Year
I too have had coolant disappearing issues for the last 4 plus years. I have had 2 water pumps,a coolant temp. sensor housing and a coolant temp sensor replaced at different times. I read a post last spring on another forum about the egr cooler issue and got the service manager to contact FCA engineering. They told him to go ahead and replace the egr cooler and o rings. This solved my problem temporarily but I just picked up my truck at the dealer today after they replaced the thermostat which was leaking coolant. All this was covered under warranty as I have a 100,000 km 5 year warranty. I will be buying an extended warranty or selling the truck if I continue to have issues. There is an egr delete kit available aftermarket but also requires some reprogramming of the computer. Google egr delete kit Ram Ecodiesel.
I'm signed on to a class action lawsuit filed on behalf of Canadian owners for a settlement regarding diesel emissions cheating on these trucks by FCA (Merchant Law Group LLP) and hope this will pay for my extended warranty.
I love this truck otherwise but would find it difficult to sell and I don't think FCA would buy it back as a lemon because we have weak or non existent lemon laws in Canada.

2014 Ram Ecodiesel SLT 88,000 Kms.

cuda9162

Feb 15, 2018
Truck Year
Hello, First thanks for this site. I have 2016, 76,000 miles, with coolant drop issue also. after reading for hours on the web I thought for sure I had a bad EGR cooler. But decided to start with basics again. My coolant reservoir cap was getting difficult to remove. Had pressure checked it a couple of times, had to buy kit, and it showed good. Bought a new one anyways. no longer have coolant drop. Just my experience on my truck. Happy trucking everyone.

David Hutchings

Jan 11, 2019
Truck Year
Hello, First thanks for this site. I have 2016, 76,000 miles, with coolant drop issue also. after reading for hours on the web I thought for sure I had a bad EGR cooler. But decided to start with basics again. My coolant reservoir cap was getting difficult to remove. Had pressure checked it a couple of times, had to buy kit, and it showed good. Bought a new one anyways. no longer have coolant drop. Just my experience on my truck. Happy trucking everyone.
Can you tell me the parts that were installed ? Do you have part nos. for people who wish to purchase them online ?

Thanks

Aganetha77

Feb 19, 2019
Truck Year
2015 ecodiesel, it’s losing coolant somewhere, was told it’s my egr, so that’s been deleted, still losing coolant, can’t seem to find the leak, its getting onto tranny then comes down on the side, any clue where this could be coming from??

David Duncan

Aug 10, 2017
Truck Year
I had total engine failure d/t egr crack. FCA sucked with customer service!!! Won't buy another new vehicle from FCA!!!

Speedy Eco

Nov 9, 2019
Truck Year
I just ordered the new Mopar overflow cap today. I will let everyone know if the coolant loss stops. Carmax only offered me 14.5k so I am stuck with it for now...better make the best of it. 1.5 gallons of coolant in 2 weeks...