• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EcoDiesel oil cooler

Benjaminktm8

Aug 9, 2020
Truck Year
I have found an external oil cooler adapter on NoEcoDelete for the EcoDiesel and I’m wondering if anyone on here has installed an external oil cooler and if so what did you use and how effective was it? And does the OEM cooler blow out and mix oil/coolant or is that just a rare case or can I just buy a new OEM cooler and not have to worry about that?

Benjaminktm8

Aug 9, 2020
Truck Year
There is a factory recall on the oil cooler leaking, see your dealer for the fix.
I’m not worried about the dealership they are the reason I’m having so much trouble with the truck and apparently they’ve already done it because last time they ran my vin to check for recalls that one didn’t pop up

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I was lead to believe that the oil cooler failure was predominately effecting the 2014 model. I installed a delete with external filter and cooler from D&J Diesel, they no longer sell this item. I found that removing the oil temperature load on the engine coolant dropped the coolant temperature a lot, oil temperature not as much. I still see occasional oil temp of 255 to 265, but I have never seen my water temp at 255 since I installed the cooler.

Highmarkmiked

Aug 21, 2020
Truck Year
Is there a max oil temp value, my temp will climb to 132C (269.6F) when towing up a long hill but I have never seen it exceed this value. Was wondering if its tapped out on the gauge but actual oil temp continues to climb. Anybody know max value of the oil temp probe?

carlrmartin10

Aug 7, 2020
Truck Year
As Gearhead stated these after market external oil coolers are no longer available.

I think it must have something to do with CARB going after them for this modification that will cause more emissions.

I have been looking for an alternative, this is what I have found that would work but is not cheap.
Install an aftermarket oil filter that returns into the oil filler CAP (replaced with kit
RAM 1500 ECODIESEL 3.0L “UNDER THE HOOD” BYPASS OIL FILTER KIT
$618 .00) https://insanediesel.com/products/ram-1500-ecodiesel-3-0l-bypass-oil-filter-kit/

Add an oil cooler in front of the radiator area ( this could be a simple large trans cooler unit core)

Mishimoto Universal Transmission Fluid Cooler, 15 x 7.5 x 0.75

mseal.png

prev
next

MISHIMOTO UNIVERSAL TRANSMISSION FLUID COOLER, 15" X 7.5" X 0.75"
Model: MMTC-TF-1575
Regular Price: $78.00
Sale Price $66.95)

and hose the oil filter return to the cooler and then return it to the new oil filler cap unit.
This will not change any emission equipment nor create more emissions, it will add better oil filtering and the oil will be cooled before going back into the engine.
Hope this will help if you are having oil temp over heating issues while towing.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Is there a max oil temp value, my temp will climb to 132C (269.6F) when towing up a long hill but I have never seen it exceed this value. Was wondering if its tapped out on the gauge but actual oil temp continues to climb. Anybody know max value of the oil temp probe?
I do not know if there is a max temp on the probe, I do know that when my oil temp achieved 270F my engine down tuned HP, flat on the floor, 30 mph, 3rd gear. until I could pull over and let temps fall. That was with the OEM tune. I should have added that my final cure for high temps, water, oil, trans, was a GDE tune which changes the management of the three way valve. The three way valve is a heat exchange between the coolant, engine oil and trans fluid.

Highmarkmiked

Aug 21, 2020
Truck Year
I do not know if there is a max temp on the probe, I do know that when my oil temp achieved 270F my engine down tuned HP, flat on the floor, 30 mph, 3rd gear. until I could pull over and let temps fall. That was with the OEM tune. I should have added that my final cure for high temps, water, oil, trans, was a GDE tune which changes the management of the three way valve. The three way valve is a heat exchange between the coolant, engine oil and trans fluid.
Thats good to know because my GDE tune is in the mail. Just picked up the CTS3 monitor as well so I can hopefully control and see my temps better.

Dan Walker

Jul 5, 2016
Truck Year
Going to resurrect this string a bit: I was on a long trip towing my TravelTrailer and the Oil Temp going up a mountain with outside temp's reaching 100F was not good. Oil Temp got past 266 and as it was noted before, no power. Had to let the oil temp cool down before I could get power back. Thus I am looking for a solution.. GDE Tune? External Oil Cooler? any thoughts? 2016 Laramie

I've contacted a local diesel repair shop, but I guess they don't feel if it's not cummins or power stroke, then it's not a 'real' diesel. ...

Last edited:

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Going to resurrect this string a bit: I was on a long trip towing my TravelTrailer and the Oil Temp going up a mountain with outside temp's reaching 100F was not good. Oil Temp got past 266 and as it was noted before, no power. Had to let the oil temp cool down before I could get power back. Thus I am looking for a solution.. GDE Tune? External Oil Cooler? any thoughts? 2016 Laramie

I've contacted a local diesel repair shop, but I guess they don't feel if it's not cummins or power stroke, then it's not a 'real' diesel. ...
I can only relay my experience with the same issue. I did install an external oil cooler, a popular model at the time, now no longer offered. At best it pulled temperature from my coolant. What I mean by that is the oil would run 215 to 225 running empty while the water temp now would run 206. When I pulled our TT the oil would still run 240 to 250 but the water would still be running 208, only 2 degrees hotter than empty. I installed the pre EPA approved GDE program which made the truck so much more driveable. Yet the oil temps still remained high, just below down-rate temp. A small note the hoses after a year began leaking at the connections, becoming worse as time went on. When the oil cooler radiator itself sprung a leak the replacement cooler was slightly smaller, the wrong direction, the oil temps again became too high. Due to the growing leaking of engine oil under my truck and increasing oil temps I removed the external cooler and reinstalled the OEM heat exchanger. Due to the EGR recall my GDE tune was blanked. I towed our TT to Missouri, with the OEM tune, to relive the worst of my experiences, engine de-rate, due to high oil and water temps, and eventual total engine shut down, on I-44, until temps came down. After arrival at our KOA I downloaded the EPA approved version of the GDE tune for the trip home. Water temps lower, oil temps lower, more pulling torque.

So the short version. For my money the GDE tune gave me the largest change in operating temps, on oil, water, and trans over an external oil cooler. As a side note some of my odd errant DTC's went away.

Another note my wife decided our TT was still a little too small so we traded up to a 35ft. 9K lb empty toy hauler, with generator and one slide out. She then told me I needed a bigger truck, as the dutiful husband that I am I answered "yes dear" so we now tow with a 2500 RAM Cummins 6,7L.

Good Luck.