• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EGR COOLER - '14 GRAND CHEROKEE ECO DIESEL

Jager

Apr 26, 2019
Truck Year
Hi ~ I have a '14 Grand Cherokee eco diesel with 84K. It's been into the dealer 3 times in the last 1500 miles or so for regen. Just pulled it from the dealer yesterday after they told me that my EGR cooler is full of soot and is causing air flow and regen issues. (Shouldn't they have looked at that in the first place?) After doing the second regen, my engine light was back on in less than 500 miles; hence my third trip in.

Dealer is telling me to either replace the EGR cooler for $4,100 plus shop supplies or remove and clean it for $1,100.00 plus shop supplies.

Is the EGR diffuser the same thing as the EGR cooler? If it is, and from what I have seen on line, I can easily clean it myself. I had also cleaned my EGR valve just prior to it going into the the dealer the second time.

Steve

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
the EGR valve diverts exhaust from the exhaust pipe to the intake. The EGR cooler is a piece of leak prone junk that flows coolant together with exhaust to cool the exhaust down. The EGR diffuser tube routes the cooled exhaust to your intake.

If it was me I would tune the engine with a PPEI, GDE or Sofaking tune and forget all about the shop and its estimates. The tune turns the EGR valve off. That will make your truck run better, improve your mileage, etc.

This gets complicated though if you have a leaking EGR cooler. If the EGR is leaking it has to be repaired or removed. But the dealer says yours is just clogged up, so I would tune it.

Jager

Apr 26, 2019
Truck Year
Thank you for the input. I had just watched your video on the delete you were doing with the EGR cooler and other components. Dealer did not say EGR cooler was leaking, but it was full of soot to point of restricting flow.

Do you recommend one of the three tunes? They all seem decent.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
do u have any warranty left if not remove it it will get rid of 2 problems

Jager

Apr 26, 2019
Truck Year
No warranty left. Is there a good video for removing the EGR cooler?

Jager

Apr 26, 2019
Truck Year
the EGR valve diverts exhaust from the exhaust pipe to the intake. The EGR cooler is a piece of leak prone junk that flows coolant together with exhaust to cool the exhaust down. The EGR diffuser tube routes the cooled exhaust to your intake.

If it was me I would tune the engine with a PPEI, GDE or Sofaking tune and forget all about the shop and its estimates. The tune turns the EGR valve off. That will make your truck run better, improve your mileage, etc.

This gets complicated though if you have a leaking EGR cooler. If the EGR is leaking it has to be repaired or removed. But the dealer says yours is just clogged up, so I would tune it.

Is one of the three tunes better or do you recommend one? Is there a better video showing how to remove the EGR cooler?

Jager

Apr 26, 2019
Truck Year
Why have you heard Sofaking does not? We've been messaging back and forth for the past hour and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
sofaking has unbelievable claims u have to read his posts like way out of line fuel mileage I believe over 10mpg gain ppei is getting their shit together I like his idea with obd tuning plus the ability to put your ecu back to stock and then reload your tunes back on it greene charges 150 to re flash the ecu if it is overwrote plus u have to pull the ecu and send it to them that I don't care for

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Jager, No tune will fix the plenum soot, If the EGR is sooted up the Plenum will look like this. IMO replace the Plenum Remove the EGR and tune.
20311556365505540.jpeg

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Jager, The EGR will be covered under the Settlement contract, The Plenum is unclear at this time, FCA did cover My EGR and Plenum, But My relationship to FCA is not normal and they will do just about anything to silent Me...

Attachments

• Ecodiesel EGR_Intake Repl 11 7 18.pdf
    749.3 KB · Views: 15

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Jager, If you remove the EGR you will loose the $3K Plus the Service contract...Is it possible to get the Jeep into next month Somehow when the Court signs the final agreement?

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
TC, would you recommend using the factory intake (MOPAR 68211167AC) which is $801 from Mopar or use the Banks intake or can the dirty one be cleaned? Up above you said replace but it looks like the dirty one could be cleaned off the vehicle.

Jager

Apr 26, 2019
Truck Year
Who cleans EGR coolers reasonably or how tough is it to do yourself? One tune shop recommended ultrasonic cleaning. It is running decent right now even though engine light is on. Are you a diesel shop?

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
if it is running ok just let it be until the recall is done and then it will be covered by the service agreement and the dealer will fix it free. If you dont want to wait it looks like an easy job.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
CS, I like reading your post and enjoy your comments, The language Here at the Ecodieselram needs to be corrected, You are correct on the service agreement ,FCA is NOT recalling any emissions devices, its a service contract mandated in the agreement.

Jager ,CS is correct you can clean it your self its a PITA to remove . You can remove the EGR Valve and vacuum clean the EGR best you can, that may get you to next Month.

Jager

Apr 26, 2019
Truck Year
TC - it looks like you are in the Mpls. metro as am I. Do you have any diesel shops you can recommend that could do this? I don't have time to deal with the cooler, the diffuser and sensor are easy and I'll do that for starters.