• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EGR fixed - Engine Failure

Gotmuff

Jun 16, 2020
Truck Year
I just took my truck in due to the ERG and Intake catching fire going down the Interstate. My truck is a 2015 with 170k miles on it. I got the truck back and was driving it home and then it just died. It was driven approximately 90 miles from getting from the repair shop till it completely died. The low oil pressure light came on and it would start to crank but wouldn't turn over. as if the cylinders were full. The dealer here in town said it is an engine failure. I was curious if the previous issue could of led to the engine failure with things being sucked into the intake? The EGR and Intake were burnt the previous repair shop said. I know it has a lot of miles, but i service it on time and its been taken care of. 170k isn't a ton of miles on a diesel .

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
It does not surprise Me, the VM 3.0 is laden with issue's. You would have been better off with it catching on fire and burning up like MANY+ other Eco's. I know Two owner that burned up two Eco's. many are on third engine If its as rare as the fake site claims these owners should buy lottery tickets.

What caused the engine failure? its more likely relate to rotating mass failure then intake.

What are your plans?

Gotmuff

Jun 16, 2020
Truck Year
I was sure hoping it would lol. But you can obviously tell what my luck is like. They still do not know. the dealer close to my house says its seized up but i do not think they pulled anything apart to see what is "seized". The tow truck drive that carried it down to this dealer said he was a mechanic and he was saying its possible the cylinders could be full of fluid.

The back of my truck, tailgate and bumper, we speckled with what looked like oil. just splatters. Underneath the truck it looked like oil was coming from the passenger side around the oil pan. I also checked the dipstick and it was up to where the dipstick went from flat to what appears to a springy like material of the actual dipstick. So there is clearly an excess amount of fluid in the oil pan.

The original dealer who did the EGR and intake repair is coming to pick the truck up tomorrow and take it back to their shop. Supposedly a rep from chrysler/fiat will be there. The service manager did say it sounded suspect being just 80 miles after the repair the motor seized. Which that's where i am at being i hadn't had any issues at all with the motor. If it would have blown without being in the shop previous, i would have expected it lol

Right now i am going to see what the original shop has to say. I was told by the dealer close to the house they would put me a new motor in it for 13k out the door. The motor through them is $8,800. I found a company that sells them for $6,500. with 100k warranty. If they fix it that will be fantastic, if not, i am still trying to decide what to do.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Please keep us in the loop, 170K miles is no good, Well maintained HPCR DSL'S go well over 500K miles, with only Injectors and Pump being freshen up. Maybe water pump at every 300K Miles..

Gotmuff

Jun 16, 2020
Truck Year
Yea you bet. I sure will. Hopefully I'll know something late tomorrow or Thursday

Yea its no bueno. I figured if it has made it this long i was home free.

Then if I get a new motor I'm deleting it with the sofa king I think.

Gotmuff

Jun 16, 2020
Truck Year
The dealer called and told me there was metal in my oil pan. They said they can turn it over by hand, but i wasn't able to turn it over with the starter. Im not sure how that works but sounds suspicious. They also said all my fluid levels were correct. Im not sure how that is either being oil was coming out from under the truck and also all over my back bumper and tailgate.

so now they are waiting on Chrysler to get back to them. Either way sounds like I'm fixing to take it with no lube.