• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EGR Valve Issues

bcampbell05

Mar 11, 2019
Truck Year
Hello fellow eco diesel friends, I am new to the site, and I am glad I joined as I don't know that much about the eco diesel just love the fuel economy I get, which is why I got it to begin with.

I have a question that maybe you all can help me with. I recently started to experience issues with what I thought was a transmission issue, and it turned out to be the EGR Valve per the code reader. I took it by the local dealership and they said it was not covered under my powertrain warranty. I have 59k miles on my truck, so I am clearly out of bumper to bumper, but I was hoping it would be covered under powertrain, or some sort of warranty. Seems pretty early on to be having EGR issues. The dealership quoted me like $1,700 to replace, but I think maybe they were thinking of the entire assembly, whereas the reader said the valve only, which is small and relatively inexpensive from what I have found.

Anyways, I feel strongly that this should be covered by Chrysler, but wanted to get facts before I contact them and hash it out.

Have any of you had EGR Valve issues, and if so, was it covered under powertrain or some other type of warranty that extends outside of the 36k bumper to bumper?

I guess in the end, what I would like t know is:

1. Should this be covered?
  2. What are my options?

Thanks,

Brian

bcampbell05

Mar 11, 2019
Truck Year
Can anyone help with the questions asked? Sorry, I do not know much about this stuff. Thx.

John

Nov 13, 2015
If in California you will still be covered. Otherwise 3yr/36K miles. EGR delete kits are available, but will also require a tune so it doesn't throw a code. You don't mention the model year? If it's a 2014-2016 you can possibly nurse it until the emissions settlement is final and it will then be covered under the extended 4 year warranty that's included with the cash you get from the settlement.

Here's the official settlement site. https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/

bcampbell05

Mar 11, 2019
Truck Year
John, thank you for providing that! I have a 2016 and I am aware of the eco diesel settlement and saw that it mentioned an extended warranty, but did not know the details of it exactly. I can nurse it until then, it goes in and out it seems like. First time, it lasted two days and then worked fine for two weeks. Happened again the other day for about an hour, then stopped and hasn't done it since. I will wait it out. I appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Brian

John

Nov 13, 2015
I would suggest keeping an eye on the coolant level since the EGR can leak internally. As long as it doesn't have a check engine light when you go in for the software update you should be okay.

bcampbell05

Mar 11, 2019
Truck Year
Will do, thank you!

The check engine light has come on but I had it taken off/reset, so if it comes on again, I will make sure it is turned off before the update.

Thanks,

Brian

bcampbell05

Mar 11, 2019
Truck Year
Also, the extended warranty you mentioned per the lawsuit, is this an extended full bumper to bumper warranty, or is it some sort of limited warranty?

John

Nov 13, 2015
Also, the extended warranty you mentioned per the lawsuit, is this an extended full bumper to bumper warranty, or is it some sort of limited warranty?
Consent Decree Appendix E
Extended Emission Warranty
Subject to standard limitations that must be identified to Eligible Owners and Eligible
Lessees, which may set forth exclusions like accident, abuse, neglect, or installation of noncertified parts, and applicable existing warranty provisions that will remain in effect, the
Extended Warranty shall cover the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair the items listed
below.
• Catalysts
o Diesel Oxidation Catalyst / Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Assembly
o Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) Catalyst
• Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) System
o DEF Injector
o DEF Injector Controller
o DEF Storage Tank
o DEF Delivery Lines
o DEF Concentration Sensor (2016 Model Year Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand
Cherokee only)
o DEF Supply Module, Pump, & Temperature Sensor Unit
• Parts of the Fuel System
o Low Pressure Fuel Pump Module & Level Unit
o Fuel Injectors
o Fuel Rail
o High Pressure Fuel Line
o High Pressure Injection Pump & Regulator Unit
• Parts of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System
o EGR Cooler Tubes
o EGR Cooler
o EGR Valve
o EGR Temperature Sensor
o EGR Cooler bypass actuator
• Other Sensors That Are Covered
o Oxygen Sensors
o NOx Sensors
o Intake Manifold Pressure Sensor
o Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
o Fuel/Water Separator Sensor
o Intake Swirl Actuator Sensor
o Engine Camshaft Position Sensor
o Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor
o Particulate Matter Sensor
o Mass Airflow Sensor
o Boost Pressure Sensor
o Crankcase Pressure Sensor
o Exhaust Manifold Pressure Sensor
APPENDIX E TO CONSENT DECREE
MDL No. 2777 EMC
Case 3:17-md-02777-EMC Document 484-1 Filed 01/10/19 Page 207 of 224
o Throttle Valve
o Exhaust Temperature Sensor
o DPF Differential Pressure Sensor
• Engine Control Module (Computer)
• Transmission Control Module (Computer)/Valve Body & Solenoids
• Throttle Valve
• Cylinder Head Assembly, Including Valves, Springs, Valve Spring Keepers, Valve Seats,
Cam Bearing Caps, and Manifold Studs (Camshaft and other components of the assembly
are not covered)
• Engine Thermostat/housing/gasket
• The turbocharger system including all related hoses and pipes, all sensors and actuators.
Additionally, the Extended Warranty shall cover the cost of any OBD Diagnostic Scan
for malfunctions that trigger the OBD Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL), regardless of whether
the malfunction is attributable to a part that is covered under the Extended Warranty

bcampbell05

Mar 11, 2019
Truck Year
Well I am glad you said to check the coolant level. It was damn near dry. Had maybe 3/4” left. I assume as long as I watch it and keep it filled it’ll be fine until the lawsuit is finalized and I can get it in?

That, or if i had to end up taking it in prior, surely they’d reimburse me if I submit the receipt.

This sucks. Hate having these issues.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Well I am glad you said to check the coolant level. It was damn near dry. Had maybe 3/4” left. I assume as long as I watch it and keep it filled it’ll be fine until the lawsuit is finalized and I can get it in?

That, or if i had to end up taking it in prior, surely they’d reimburse me if I submit the receipt.

This sucks. Hate having these issues.
Sucks for sure. It's unlikely to be reimbursed for any work performed prior to the settlement.

Keep in mind the coolant will show a little in the degas bottle even if the cooling system had lost all coolant. Keep checking the level on a daily basis until you are convinced the entire cooling system is up to proper level. It's hard to believe the dealer didn't at least top it off.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
I would print the consent decree top two pages and the warranty pages and go to the dealer. Show them the document, tell them your problem and ask them to request the repair from FCA.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I would print the consent decree top two pages and the warranty pages and go to the dealer. Show them the document, tell them your problem and ask them to request the repair from FCA.
The problem is it's not even approved yet. It's only a preliminary approval. It might be best to have minimal dealer contact/records of the issue until after the settlement has final approval from the courts. My 2 cents.

bcampbell05

Mar 11, 2019
Truck Year
Well the problem is the truck is getting worse it acted up the entire way home from work today and the coolant level, which I filled up last night, has dropped a full inch in one day. It is starting to concern me. I am supposed to be going out of town tomorrow for 4 days and supposed to be pulling a boat.

bcampbell05

Mar 11, 2019
Truck Year
Is the truck safe to still drive or do I need to “do what I gotta do” and take it in now and hope they’ll fix it at no cost to me or they I get reimbursed later?

John

Nov 13, 2015
If you are loosing coolant that fast I wouldn't drive it. That coolant is going through your exhaust system and could cause additional problems with the emissions system (Doc & DPF).

John

Nov 13, 2015
I think somebody had mentioned the cost is about $1,700.00 to replace the EGR cooler. I hope FCA is willing to work with you, but wouldn't get my hopes up too high. I'm hoping for the best.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
The coolant can also go into the EGR diffuser pipe and into your intake. That would more likely explain the poor running - its burning coolant. Park it is my advice.