• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine code P26AB

41Rams

Oct 26, 2019
Truck Year
New here. First time I've ever posted anywhere.
I have a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 EcoDiesel with 86,000 miles. Engine light is on and the truck has been leaving engine coolant on the garage floor. I went to the auto parts store and they did the diagnostic test. P26AB is all the device produced. No other detail. I can't seem to find this code. Can anyone shed some light?
Thx!

Geoling

Dec 18, 2019
Truck Year
Can this valve fail and cause heater to blow cold? Can it cause coolant to get pushed out of the overflow tank while running?

lmrhodes

Mar 16, 2021
Truck Year
I'm getting the P26AB code also. No sign of coolant leak, so I don't think the coolant bypass valve has malfunctioned. Could it be the electrical connectors? I read one comment that cleaning them fixed the problem.

RamLyons

May 10, 2020
Truck Year
I'm getting the P26AB code also. No sign of coolant leak, so I don't think the coolant bypass valve has malfunctioned. Could it be the electrical connectors? I read one comment that cleaning them fixed the problem.
I’m getting that code also. I replaced the valve and still get the code. I’m thinking it’s the electrical connection, but I’m not sure what to do from here. I wonder if anyone has had luck with cleaning the connections and I’d like to know what they did to clean them.

lmrhodes

Mar 16, 2021
Truck Year
I took my truck to an independent repair guy I trust, and he said it would need a software upgrade they couldn't do. I'd need to go to a dealer. Did that, and they replaced the valve also. Expensive, but the problem went away.

RamLyons

May 10, 2020
Truck Year
I took my truck to an independent repair guy I trust, and he said it would need a software upgrade they couldn't do. I'd need to go to a dealer. Did that, and they replaced the valve also. Expensive, but the problem went away.
That’s unfortunate. I JUST got my truck back from the dealer where they did all the recall work and supposedly updated everything. I don’t want to take it back. They had it for 7 days last time.

Big ram Sam

Oct 27, 2021
Truck Year
I agree same here happened to me went to the dealer $1300 fix. Also replaced my thermostat and seemed to have resolved the problem for now.

RamLyons

May 10, 2020
Truck Year
I agree same here happened to me went to the dealer $1300 fix. Also replaced my thermostat and seemed to have resolved the problem for now.
I sprayed every electrical connector out with cleaner and reconnected it all. Cleared the CEL out and my alpha app says the valve is working now. Must be a short or a dirty connection somewhere. If it comes back on I will probably start replacing the wiring harnesses.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I sprayed every electrical connector out with cleaner and reconnected it all. Cleared the CEL out and my alpha app says the valve is working now. Must be a short or a dirty connection somewhere. If it comes back on I will probably start replacing the wiring harnesses.
I like to apply Diaelectric Silicone Grease to all electrical connections. Water proofs and non conductive. Also check active voltage with DVM.

Rafarodr

Jan 30, 2020
Truck Year
Mine is also throwing this code (p26ab-oo) but is leaking pretty badly. Dealer said it wasn't covered under the extended warranty. I might try this fix myself. Does anyone know the part number to this valve?

Last edited:

Gregggarcia16

May 13, 2022
Truck Year
That’s unfortunate. I JUST got my truck back from the dealer where they did all the recall work and supposedly updated everything. I don’t want to take it back. They had it for 7 days last time.
7 days dang I wish you're very very lucky Amigo FCA in Gallup NM had mine 3 times for a total of 6 months and never did any of the recall work they were supposed too. so I went down to the dealership and demanded answers. They said there’s nothing wrong with your vehicle. The codes are just bad sensors it’s not the recalled coolant system It’s the three-way bypass valve causing it all. I could wait until they got the new EGR cooler in or it was safe for me to take it so I took it and the next day in Coal on fire these dealerships are fucking crooks, especially amigo FCA in Gallup New Mexico. They are the worst I’ve ever seen. If you have any doubts, do not trust them there’s good ones out there, but after this experience, I’ll never trust any of them again until you prove themselves.

Gregggarcia16

May 13, 2022
Truck Year
I’m getting that code also. I replaced the valve and still get the code. I’m thinking it’s the electrical connection, but I’m not sure what to do from here. I wonder if anyone has had luck with cleaning the connections and I’d like to know what they did to clean them.
did you ever get it figured out? I replaced it twice and I’m still getting the low control circuit?

jsilvius

Apr 19, 2022
Truck Year
Mine started throwing this code last month. Thankfully it is "covered" by my CarMax Extended warranty. The Repair/Service station says there is a TSB for it that says they have to flash my PCM first to see if that fixes it before they can replace the valve. I haven't seen any coolant leaking thankfully, but I am concerned that the Local Dealership who I took the truck to for inspection when I first bought it a year ago told me that PCM was up to date. So I'm curious how often and if they still do updates for the 2016 models.