• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

engine failure this morning

jtsbldit

Oct 23, 2020
Truck Year
I had complete engine failure this morning. Driving in to work and it seems exhaust is louder than normal and truck seems to struggle a bit on hills. no warning lights, gauges are normal. a few minutes later I hear a loud bang and engine shuts off. I had it towed to dealer. Has anyone else has similar experience

VWRICK

Mar 24, 2019
Truck Year
Wed my truck sat and idled for 10-15 minutes while we loaded stuff for goodwill. Pulled out driveway, stopped grabbed mail,and started to pull away, rattled briefly, lights and low oil pressure popped on dash, then died in road. Cranks very fast for long time(45 seconds or longer), does not build 1 pound of oil pressure. Does not fire. Had it hauled to dealer on Friday, no word yet. Dealership did tell me timing rings would not be available END of first quarter of 2021.

AT Limited

Oct 29, 2019
Truck Year
Same symptoms here complete power loss on highway up a hill. Tried to start it back up reved for approximately 30 seconds with no success. In shop now code shows cam sensor but the two loud booms prior to the failure tells me it’s something worse.

Garfield

Aug 10, 2018
Truck Year
Have your dealer check out your tone ring - currently a recall on this issue (Loss of Crank Position).

AT Limited

Oct 29, 2019
Truck Year
Good call forgot about that. I saw the recall but the parts were not in and the subject left my mind. Thx!!!

VWRICK

Mar 24, 2019
Truck Year
Talked with dealer today. They said crank trigger code. Parts not available till first quarter. They said FCA sending me to Enterprise for long term rental, they will NOT pay for a rental truck. I'm hoping whole engine is junk, that way I can get a 0mile engine and tune it as soon as I get it home.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Talked with dealer today. They said crank trigger code. Parts not available till first quarter. They said FCA sending me to Enterprise for long term rental, they will NOT pay for a rental truck. I'm hoping whole engine is junk, that way I can get a 0mile engine and tune it as soon as I get it home.

A Tune won't change what failed, and if it is a new engine who knows who rebuild it, The 2014-19 motor is out of Production.

VWRICK

Mar 24, 2019
Truck Year
Just spoke with dealership, they are certain it's the crank tone ring. It's the second truck sitting in their bull pen waiting. They said VAC will contact me, regarding long term rental with enterprise, I'm sure that will be prompt. As they were talking they said crank replacement. Is this tone ring part of the crank , or does it bolt on like a harmonic balancer like a gassed? I know it's on the back side of engine, which requires trans removal.
So if its a total crank replacement, do they put new main bearings in and basically do a lower end rebuild? Any info would be appreciated, thanks. Rick.

VWRICK

Mar 24, 2019
Truck Year
Finally someone from FLA got back with me today. He told me I would have to go rent a car and then apply for reimbursement through Ram trucks.....what a bunch of crap.....

AT Limited

Oct 29, 2019
Truck Year
Just talk to Ram this morning. You might want to get the rental vehicle agreement in writing they told me nothing is reimbursable on this recall.

Wrenchsmurf

Dec 7, 2020
Truck Year
Hey, new guy here. I have owned a 3.7 gas motor,6 speed standard shift for 3 years, 2007 1500 Ram model. I am thinking about pulling a toy hauler and thinking about buying a 2017 2500 Ram eco diesel. Is this a good thing?

AT Limited

Oct 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not sure the 2500 come is a ecodiesel I believe its a 1500 thing. My 1500 is a 2014 I get 28-30 mpg on the freeway 22-25 city 27 combined I Love it!

VWRICK

Mar 24, 2019
Truck Year
FCA called yesterday, going to send one of the old tone rings to get truck running, but it won't be a legal fix for the recall. I will have to take it back in next year when the redesigned and improved part is released to replace the replacement....at least I'll have my truck back....

Garfield

Aug 10, 2018
Truck Year
FCA called yesterday, going to send one of the old tone rings to get truck running, but it won't be a legal fix for the recall. I will have to take it back in next year when the redesigned and improved part is released to replace the replacement....at least I'll have my truck back....
That's actually positive news in terms of the recall; my previous understanding was that it simply involved a software adjustment so that timing would not be solely dependent on 'seeing' the magnetic strip. An actual replacement of a redesigned & improved part would be good. It might even apply to those of us who have previously had this part replaced as a result of failure. Thanks for this info.

VWRICK

Mar 24, 2019
Truck Year
Still getting jerked around by FLA, they say it's not their responsibility to provide me a rental car for a recall. Seriously considering going to Chevy. Been a jeep/ dodge fan for a long time...but getting VERY disgusted with them.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Just stay away form VM Motori, Ram makes the best Pickup Hands down, The 5.7, 3.6, are awesome power plants and 2019 Truck+ Ram have the best interiors ,Trans and fit and finish is second to NONE , and get great MPG.

Its Fiat relationship to VM in Italy, that's Were you need to place your disgust.

Last edited: