• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Idle

Shawn Thomas

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
how long do y’all let your engine idle after running it?

Shawn Thomas

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
Okay, I do as well, just always remembered my friends with 3/4 ton diesels would always let them idle about a minute or so at a minimum before they’d shut them down.

Pizza04

Mar 4, 2018
Truck Year
I think the manual says to let it idle for 1 minute after going down the highway. And I believe it says to let it idle for 5 minutes after going down the highway. I believe it’s to help cool off the turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pizza04

Mar 4, 2018
Truck Year
I think the manual says to let it idle for 1 minute after going down the highway. And I believe it says to let it idle for 5 minutes after going down the highway. I believe it’s to help cool off the turbo.

Sorry my kid is asking questions while I type this. 5 minutes of idle after hauling:

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I've never come across that.. I will say though, I've never let any modern diesel I've owned "Cool down" just after normal driving. I've pulled 15K+ with my last Duramax and yes, I did wait 5 or 10 minutes after getting to my destination but never on just a small load or unloaded truck.

Pizza04

Mar 4, 2018
Truck Year
72855328b0d59758d44299eb4aabc049.jpg

Bgbdwlf2500

Jun 24, 2018
Truck Year
72855328b0d59758d44299eb4aabc049.jpg

The chart is so vague theres not enough info. In almost any highway scenario by the time you get off the highway and move to where you're going the turbo would have cooled down.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Shawn Thomas

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
The chart is so vague theres not enough info. In almost any highway scenario by the time you get off the highway and move to where you're going the turbo would have cooled down.

Plus why is highway speeds assumed to have a medium load :ROFLMAO:

Bgbdwlf2500

Jun 24, 2018
Truck Year
Plus why is highway speeds assumed to have a medium load [emoji23]
I was going to say that but I figured it was obvious haha. And, the turbo temp is not saying it is hot, its saying you make the determination

Bgbdwlf2500

Jun 24, 2018
Truck Year
I've never come across that.. I will say though, I've never let any modern diesel I've owned "Cool down" just after normal driving. I've pulled 15K+ with my last Duramax and yes, I did wait 5 or 10 minutes after getting to my destination but never on just a small load or unloaded truck.
I had my duramax running 13s at the drag strip with 2000* + egts and came off the track got my time slip hit the parking lot and shut it down over 45k miles. All good

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I had my duramax running 13s at the drag strip with 2000* + egts and came off the track got my time slip hit the parking lot and shut it down over 45k miles. All good

I ran a 8.1 @ 84MPH in the 1/8th mile. Which would be high 12's... but yea, I still let it cool a few minutes after coming back around the end of the track. I did hot lap it a few times as well, but on a rare occasion.

Bgbdwlf2500

Jun 24, 2018
Truck Year
I ran a 8.1 @ 84MPH in the 1/8th mile. Which would be high 12's... but yea, I still let it cool a few minutes after coming back around the end of the track. I did hot lap it a few times as well, but on a rare occasion.
I hot lapped 5 times, beat some hondas and subarus went home lol. Best was a 13.10 @ 102 just like I drove it on the street. No air down tires or anything

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
If one monitors egt on these trucks you’ll see how much heat these engines hold onto. They dont cool down like there big brothers and shouldn’t be compared to them. Personally I try to not shut mine down when egts are above 400 but sometimes I’m in a rush. Its not just the turbo but heads, egr cooler, hoses specifically oil and coolant lines which are in the engine vee, etc.

Pizza04

Mar 4, 2018
Truck Year
I just want maximum years and maximum miles out of my truck. If letting things cool off helps with that I’m gonna do just that.

diesel power 2014

Oct 3, 2015
Truck Year

30 seconds to 1 minute regular (city),driving coming off highway engine not hot min 1 min summer city driving truck not loaded or pulling trailer 2 to 3 minutes coming off highway hard pulling with trailer 3 to 5 minutes you can turn heater to hot and fan on high and 3 to 5 minutes engine will cool down 8 to 10 degrees. not so much to cool turbo as it gives it a chance to slow down if you turn on heater put to window or window and floor this will cycle engine cooling fan same for winter engine warms up little faster because engine cooling fan will not cycle on AC vents or Ac vents and floor. Sorry little long winded hope this helps please anyone if I have missed something please add Thanks.