• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine makes a loud ticking sound

bourqtk

Mar 6, 2021
Truck Year
New to the group! I've had Ram trucks with Cummins since I could buy my own. I'm new to this 2020 ecodiesel though. It makes a loud ticking noise when I get on it. Is this normal? I noticed it the night I bought it. Thanks in advance!

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Is it a heavy tick/knock sound, also if you can find a way to put some "load" on it while accelerating, maybe by applying brakes to see if you can tell if the tick/knock gets louder or "harder, you should be able to do those 2 tests in your driveway. Also try to tell if you can identify whether the noise is top end, bottom end, front of engine, rear of engine, towards the center or on one of the sides, or if it's elsewhere in the drivetrain.

bourqtk

Mar 6, 2021
Truck Year
Is it a heavy tick/knock sound, also if you can find a way to put some "load" on it while accelerating, maybe by applying brakes to see if you can tell if the tick/knock gets louder or "harder, you should be able to do those 2 tests in your driveway. Also try to tell if you can identify whether the noise is top end, bottom end, front of engine, rear of engine, towards the center or on one of the sides, or if it's elsewhere in the drivetrain.
Will do. Its the same under a load. I pulled a trailer to Las Vegas from Louisiana. I can hear it sometimes when idling. Let you know. Thanks

Mxvet0354

Apr 20, 2020
Truck Year
I have no ticks or knocks of any kind, under load or empty. Very quiet through the entire RPM range.

2020 with 13,000 miles, 4x4 Bighorn.

ToeTruck

Mar 5, 2021
Truck Year
I don't have a 2020 but my 2017 is very quiet with load or without.... Maybe it's just an exhaust leak.

bourqtk

Mar 6, 2021
Truck Year
Will do. Its the same under a load. I pulled a trailer to Las Vegas from Louisiana. I can hear it sometimes when idling. Let you know. Thanks
So I can't hear it now when idling. Doesn't sound like exhaust. Can't really tell for sure but it sounds like its coming off the top of the engine. I'm gonna try to get in to the dealer this week.

Mesatoneman

Dec 27, 2020
Truck Year
Please tell me you checked the oil level lol. Was it doing this when you had it checked out and you test drove it?

bourqtk

Mar 6, 2021
Truck Year
Good oil and the level is / was good. Didn't notice it right away during the test drive. I did notice it on my 3 hour drive home though.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I hope they put the correct oil in it! You can use a long screwdriver or anything that will work as a stethoscope to tell if it is metallic or just diesel knock, a piece of hose works well too.

Tbird2020

Jan 16, 2022
Truck Year
New to the group! I've had Ram trucks with Cummins since I could buy my own. I'm new to this 2020 ecodiesel though. It makes a loud ticking noise when I get on it. Is this normal? I noticed it the night I bought it. Thanks in advance!
I know this is an old thread. I just bought a used certified with 12k. I noticed the same ticking sound from the top end. Sounds like an old school lifter that needs to be adjusted. Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

EcoDiesel USA

Jan 15, 2022
Truck Year
More then likely what you're running into is what we call diesel or injection rattle, it sounds similar to predetonation on a gasoline engine, if that is in fact what it is, it is not harmful to your engine it is more or less just annoying when you're used to such a quiet engine.