• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

"Engine will not start" dashboard warning

SetterBob

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
The recall modification was performed on my 2014 Ram 1500 on 8/13. The truck had 54K miles.

On 8/16 I received a warning notice on the dashboard “Engine Will Not Restart in 180 ml Service DEF See Dealer.” At that point, the truck had been driven 68 miles following the modification, which includes the 25-mile return trip from the dealer. The warning notice is not persistent so, if you are not closely watching the display when you start the vehicle, it is easy to miss and may have been there even earlier.

I contacted the dealer and was told to bring the truck in. It was dropped off on 8/19. As of 9/1, thirteen days later, they still have the vehicle. The dealer could not determine what was causing the message to be displayed. They contacted Ram Star Engineering who prescribed various actions, none of which resolved the problem. The dealer reports that they have also provided data and documentation requested by Engineering, but to date, no solution has been found.

I had experienced no major issues with the truck prior to the modification.

Has anyone seen this problem?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
No start Yes, There are many work arounds to eliminate the message to start the Engine, WITECH has the options to correct the problem if it still does NOT start check the In tank Fuel pump for failure. DEF Jump Message work around.

You can also jump
Image result for ecodiesel relay jump to start

Related image

John

Nov 13, 2015
What is the DEF gauge showing? It could be an issue with the DEF level sensor, the DEF pump, DEF injector, or a sensor. The good news is this will be covered under the extended emissions warranty.

SetterBob

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
Still pending. The DEF was full, but the dealer drained and replaced. They just completed a series of tests and are waiting for a response from Ram. I will post results when available.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Still pending. The DEF was full, but the dealer drained and replaced. They just completed a series of tests and are waiting for a response from Ram. I will post results when available.
Did you fill the DEF prior to the message? Bad/outdated DEF can cause that message.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Getting bad DEF is equal to a hurricane in MN, Dealers / FCA use it add the cost burden to the owner $$$$$ in most cases. I ran Distilled Water in My ED for 3 years mixed 10-15% Urea..... NEVER received any BAD DEF message. We also tested (Retail) DEF stored at Shop temp that was5 - 7 Years old and it was dead on.

Lots of Bad info spread on DEF because of the lack of knowledge.

SetterBob

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
DEF was not replaced immediately prior to the message. The DEF was filled a month or so prior to the modification.

SetterBob

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
As an update, if someone else sees the issue, they replaced the DEF tank. So far, it seems to be OK.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
have you ever cleaned the def injector? They get caked up in crystalized def within 6 months!! If they are fully pluged up, only a tiny trickle of def will go through. I wonder if that could throw a code. Takes <5 min to clean the injector and you can do it yourself if you have a steamer.

watch this vid.