Exhaust bolts Part of maintenance ? New to me!!!

• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Old man

Mar 14, 2019
Truck Year
Ok guys listen to this! 2015 Ed. Exhaust bolt broken just before cat on a family trip. While on highway def warning lite kicks on. Must be service at dealer or shut down 200 miles. I get to my destination find a dealer down here in cape May nj. Recall was done 5,000 miles ago so I’m thinking ok has something to do with recall nope!! My exhaust bolt snapped for no apparent reason and created a vacuum that sucked def into intake and wiped out injectors !! Truck is in shop now as I’m still on vacation. Be aware!!! Check all exhaust bolt regularly!! These trucks have domino effect Poor design. Trucks should be bought back!!!

John

Nov 13, 2015
Never heard of such a thing. The following doesn't even sound possible to me. " created a vacuum that sucked def into intake and wiped out injectors !! " The SCR (where DEF is injected) is so far downstream from the intake manifold there's no way DEF was sucked into the intake manifold. So the theory is the DEF was sucked back from the SCR, through the DPF and reversed through the turbo and injected into the intake?? Not sure what those guys are smoking but it must be good stuff. :)

Luc_sko

May 29, 2019
Southwest PA
Truck Year
Yeah I agree with above. I don’t see how that is possible. If your referring to the V band on the flange just above the DPF the turbo would just keep pushing exhaust out where the Vband is. No way would it suck anything back up in.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
Yeah I agree with above. I don’t see how that is possible. If your referring to the V band on the flange just above the DPF the turbo would just keep pushing exhaust out where the Vband is. No way would it suck anything back up in.
Me too, I've taken my DEF injector off regularily to clean it out, and it's so far back away from the intakes, that doesn't even seem physically possible... I think you're being taken for a $$$$ ride.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Ok guys listen to this! 2015 Ed. Exhaust bolt broken just before cat on a family trip. While on highway def warning lite kicks on. Must be service at dealer or shut down 200 miles. I get to my destination find a dealer down here in cape May nj. Recall was done 5,000 miles ago so I’m thinking ok has something to do with recall nope!! My exhaust bolt snapped for no apparent reason and created a vacuum that sucked def into intake and wiped out injectors !! Truck is in shop now as I’m still on vacation. Be aware!!! Check all exhaust bolt regularly!! These trucks have domino effect Poor design. Trucks should be bought back!!!
After re reading this post I'm wondering if the dealer is actually saying an exhaust bolt near the DEF injector broke and caused a leak that somehow damaged the DEF injector.

Old man

Mar 14, 2019
Truck Year
Picking up Friday I’ll have the whole break down of parts and what was done. I’ll will update later