• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Filter problems

Ronnie

Sep 29, 2022
Truck Year
I’m new on the forum and have an issue. I have a 2021 Ram with 3.0 Ecodiesel and have had oil filter issues leaking. Instead of paying dealer $107 for a oil filter I ordered two off of Amazon, when they came in I compared to a dealer filter and the only difference I courseware was that the dealer filter had an M for Mopar on it. The box was a little different but both are made in china. Dealer where I bought performed first oil change as it was free, had a friend who owns a local oil change shop change second time at 20k. This was his first Ecoyand he didn’t have a torque wrench. 4 days after he changed I had a leak from filter and thankfully it happened in my driveway. I didn’t know if he over tightened and cracked or what so I put second one on, two weeks later major leak from filter again. I had already ordered anoyone and had in my truck. I torqued the second one down and it was still tight. I’m at a loss, could it be the cheaper off brand filter, looks and measured identical except for M on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Ronnie

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
The "O-ring" on the filter is a static o-ring, IMO as long as it's in the right groove or present it should not leak, I would be curious as to whether the ring is actually in place at all. May be the wrong size o-ring was sent/used, AND the o-ring MUST be lubricated when installing the filter so it can slip without stretching and/or bunching up. Torqueing the housing is really of no importance as long as it is just snugged, it probably wouldn't leak if was just hand tight. When I purchased my pre-owned 2017 and did the first oil change the ring was not in the proper groove, but it didn't leak.

Ronnie

Sep 29, 2022
Truck Year
The "O-ring" on the filter is a static o-ring, IMO as long as it's in the right groove or present it should not leak, I would be curious as to whether the ring is actually in place at all. May be the wrong size o-ring was sent/used, AND the o-ring MUST be lubricated when installing the filter so it can slip without stretching and/or bunching up. Torqueing the housing is really of no importance as long as it is just snugged, it probably wouldn't leak if was just hand tight. When I purchased my pre-owned 2017 and did the first oil change the ring was not in the proper groove, but it didn't leak.
Thanks I kept the old filter with plans on looking at in more detail this weekend. Do you use Dodge filter or off brand?

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I order from IDPARTS.COM UFI brand. My truck is a 17 so I don't know what your options are.

Last edited: