• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel issues in FL

Afrenock

Sep 10, 2021
Truck Year
Bought my 2014 Bighorn Crew 4x4 with 130k on the clock from private owner A few months ago. Have had multiple Cummins TCD’s, but first ecodiesel. First time it got down to 1/4 tank, it shut off and threw fuel high pressure and low pressure codes simultaneously. I guess there is a known issue running these repeatedly below 1/4 tank. Since then, have kept it over 1/2 without incident. Now am wanting to replace the tank fuel pump and need opinions on brands/models… positive or negative. Truck is bone stock with exception of small lift and air suspension in rear. Have also noticed a big time throttle hesitation, especially when cold. Almost had several accidents and installed Pedal Commander per recommendations. It helps, but not really when cold. Wondering if this might also be a result of weak in tank pump? If I can’t resolve issues, am going back to a Cummins. Thanks in advance for reading my novel and for any responses.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I have been reading ecodiesel forums since I bought my 2015 brand new and have never heard of the 1/4 tank issue you describe. I typically take mine down to that level before I refuel and have never thrown an engine code since day one.
That being said many really seem to need a larger truck with the larger engine.
Most E.D. owners agree that an aftermarket tune cures the hesitation and throttle woes.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Sounds like your tank pump is going out on thermal limit when it gets that low. Tcdiesel explained it on a previous thread but long story short, the return fuel line dumps directly onto the pump when the tank is low. In Florida where it is warm to start with, the fuel in the tank will heat up faster when it is lower. Mine the other day at a half tank was 91* in when the ambient was 85 out in Virginia according to my scan tool. That reading was right after I stared the truck. When the extra fuel is returned to the tank after being around the motor, it will return to the tank warmer. Since the pump is cooled by the fuel, If the fuel gets too warm to remove the heat from the pump, it will overheat.

In that same forum he mentioned the in tank lift pump is plenty sufficient for the engine.