• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GED tune failures??

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
other information that should be asked before pointing fingers:

#1, what was the mileage when the failure occurred?
#2, what was the mileage when GDE was installed (in other words) how long was the truck driven with a stock tune (in self-destruct mode)?
#3, what year is the truck?
#4, what was the reason for the failure? (what went wrong)
#5, how was the truck driven? did it tow a lot, were the loads overweight? was the truck over-worked?

There's a lot of factors that come into play with the failures, the original ED trucks (2014-2015 used the Euro blend of oil for 2 years) which was recalled in 2016 and changed to Rotella - the belief was that the Euro blend was too thin for the truck resulting in a lot of catastrophic engine failures (lower bearing), so FCA went to a thicker T6 Rotella . That has nothing to do with GDE, but if it's an older truck, with or without GDE, if it was running Euro blend it was prone to failure regardless of a tune...

Older trucks that ran stock tune for several years, could have had a lot of REGENs. Makes me wonder if excessive regens which can lead to fuel dilution in the oil, for many years prior to a tune, topped off with all the EGR soot contaminated the oil to the point where it was causing some of the lower bearing failures...

So I wouldn't draw any conclusions without knowing some of the history of the truck.

Jul 20, 2019
Truck Year
It’s kinda plain and simple... I asked who’s had a failure with running that tune... i get the mileage. But someone’s window does roll down and everyone screams get a ged tune lol... I’m being a smart ass now but I’m curious if anything with low miles with a tune has scattered.

Jul 20, 2019
Truck Year
To the first persons reply. I daily my truck 8mi each way. Say this truck has low low miles and is a 16. My question is... have there any any reported scattered motors or shit going wrong with the ged tune.

John

Nov 13, 2015
It’s kinda plain and simple... I asked who’s had a failure with running that tune... i get the mileage. But someone’s window does roll down and everyone screams get a ged tune lol... I’m being a smart ass now but I’m curious if anything with low miles with a tune has scattered.
Apparently it's not that simple for you.lol. You said "I’m wondering if there have been any trucks that are tuned and if any failures? "
I said "No tune will prevent a bearing failure if that's what the OP is asking."

Are you referring to a bearing failure?

Jul 20, 2019
Truck Year
No not beating failure. Just all the others posting blown motor lol. I mean let’s get down to it... what are all these “blown” motors. And once again... has anyone “blown” a Motor with this tune or any other tunes?? With the egr being the death of these motors let’s say any tune that turns it off... has anyone heard of any failures? This website seems to be the plagued with “engine failure” @ (insert mileage here) some appear to be 10k miles others seem to be 100k... has anyone “blown” a motor tuned... doesn’t get much simpler then that

John

Nov 13, 2015
No not beating failure. Just all the others posting blown motor lol. I mean let’s get down to it... what are all these “blown” motors. And once again... has anyone “blown” a Motor with this tune or any other tunes?? With the egr being the death of these motors let’s say any tune that turns it off... has anyone heard of any failures? This website seems to be the plagued with “engine failure” @ (insert mileage here) some appear to be 10k miles others seem to be 100k... has anyone “blown” a motor tuned... doesn’t get much simpler then that
The bearing failure is the blown motor problem Yes tuned trucks blow motors too. There have been thousands of blown ecodiesels. FCA at one point in time was replacing over 200 motors per month. By most people's best estimate the failure rate is 5-8%. This is unheard of in the industry.

I'll attach a copy of an internal FCA email that has been posted here several times. This is the one where they were getting a new oil approved to help alleviate the number of failures. FYI they continued to fail with the new oil spec. Did the rate go down? I don;t know.

Attachments

• FCA Email Bearing Failure Calibration.pdf
    53 KB · Views: 21

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
We have not had any failures from the GDE tune. All the failures from our customers have been the typical bearing issue or a failed oil cooler. We had one guy tune his engine that had ticking from the bottom end, we told him it did not have long. It lasted 6 hours and then he got a new engine under warranty.

John

Nov 13, 2015
They fail internally (the oil is cooled by the engine coolant) and allow oil to mix with the engine coolant. The tell tale sign is sludge in your coolant reservoir. There were lots of failures early on mostly 2014's. I haven't heard of any lately.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
anyone have a guestimate as to when oil coolers started to fail (after how many miles?), just so we can keep an eye...

John

Nov 13, 2015
anyone have a guestimate as to when oil coolers started to fail (after how many miles?), just so we can keep an eye...
Typically early on maybe 10-30K miles, but that's a very rough estimate because accurate data doesn't exist.

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
It was mostly in the 2014 model year. There was some aluminum machining that did not get adequately cleaned in the cylinder heads during assembly. These particles got stuck between the aluminum plates in oil cooler. Over time, vibration wears a hole in the plate and oil/coolant start mixing. The bearing issue is the number one warranty item on this application by a factor of 100.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
It was mostly in the 2014 model year. There was some aluminum machining that did not get adequately cleaned in the cylinder heads during assembly. These particles got stuck between the aluminum plates in oil cooler. Over time, vibration wears a hole in the plate and oil/coolant start mixing. The bearing issue is the number one warranty item on this application by a factor of 100.
thx. is there any known cause of the bearing failure? Are there preventative things owners can do to reduce the likelihood of bearing failure?

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
do you think oil contamination (fuel dilution) possibly has anything to do with the bearing failure? I have GDE so just wondering if the cleaner oil (with less regens) should hopefully help reduce the risk of bearing failure (perhaps not eliminate it), but at least be less likely...

John

Nov 13, 2015
You either got a good one or you didn't. Failures have occurred with trucks that were babied, trucks that were run hard. Some failed with less than 8,000 miles. Some at over 100,000 miles. There's a member here who tows RV's for a living and went several hundred thousand miles. You probably have a 95% chance of having a good one.