• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GEN 3 EcoDiesel Design & Issues

RCdiesel75

Sep 12, 2021
Truck Year
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and new to tucks, so don't be too hard on me...lol! Currently looking to lease a 2021 Ram 1500 Limited with the new GEN 3 EcoDiesel engine. I am a huge researcher when I make large purchases like this, so I have been reading everything I can about the ED engine. Lots of mixed reviews out there of course and some not so good situations with some folks. I read that the new GEN 3 motor is completely redesigned with over 3/4 of the parts being new to the engine. Is this the case and how have these new iterations of the engine been performing? I am a mechanic and have no issue doing my own preventative maintenance, which is more often with a diesel, but I just want to make sure I am not about to make a 70K mistake on my first truck purchase! Any input or advice is much appreciated.1500 Limited.jpg

RCdiesel75

Sep 12, 2021
Truck Year
Well I pulled the trigger! New Ram is home and looking beautiful! Sweet ride and unbelievably comfortable. Probably the nicest vehicle we have ever owned. Will have to see how it goes with the EcoDiesel, but hoping for good things.

20211001_165243 2.jpg

RCdiesel75

Sep 12, 2021
Truck Year
So...loving the truck so far! Already getting some upgrades!! Got a nice tonneau cover on the way and I ordered some window vent shields, bug shield for the hood and a nice grill cover for winter that has a screen underneath for summer months. Also ordered the Decked System for the bed. Lots of little projects...lol!

All that said, having never owned a truck or a diesel, I am curious of any advice out there regarding care and feeding. Do any of you use fuel additives and if so which would you recommend? What oil and DEF fluid is best for the EcoDiesel?

Also, any upgrades to the engine recommended? I haven’t done any performance upgrades except for the Pedal Commander (All I can say on that is WOW).

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Really want to take care of this truck and make sure it lasts for many years.