• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Glow plug

dmorgan413

Jul 7, 2021
Truck Year
Hello,

First time posting, I have a 2014 ED with roughly 110k miles. My coil light is flashing and checked the code and said one of my glow plugs is failing. Has anyone else run into this issue? Is this a major issue and are the plugs accessible to be easily changed out..

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kanwaljeet

May 29, 2021
Truck Year
Hi
I have Ram 1500 ecodiesel. I had same issue. My dealer took to the workshop and they had to order a special tool to change the plug. It was not a long process but needs a kind tool which everyone does not carry.

67_Valiant

Feb 9, 2020
Truck Year
Hi
I have Ram 1500 ecodiesel. I had same issue. My dealer took to the workshop and they had to order a special tool to change the plug. It was not a long process but needs a kind tool which everyone does not carry.
Hello,

First time posting, I have a 2014 ED with roughly 110k miles. My coil light is flashing and checked the code and said one of my glow plugs is failing. Has anyone else run into this issue? Is this a major issue and are the plugs accessible to be easily changed out..

Thanks in advance for your help!
The glow plugs can be changed with a deep 5/16" socket (and extension), and a can of PB blaster/WD-40 with a straw. It is a painstaking process that requires working the plugs in and out until they finally come out. You cannot just unscrew them or they will break in the hole, and then you have an entirely different kind of repair on your hands.

Loosen it a bit, spray PB Blaster in the threads and let it sit over night. Tighten back in and then unscrew a bit further. More PB Blaster. Rinse and repeat until they are out.

Some are easier to access than others. There is no special tool for removing the plug itself, but they may have a puller for the connector.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
They make a tool which was used on my #4 to remove broken glow plug. It’s similar to the tool used on Ford triton engines for the broken spark plugs.

67_Valiant

Feb 9, 2020
Truck Year
They make a tool which was used on my #4 to remove broken glow plug. It’s similar to the tool used on Ford triton engines for the broken spark plugs.
OK. I didn't realize it was broken off (which does require a special tool).