• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hard Starting Issues

DALE LUND

Jun 14, 2021
Truck Year
I have a 2018 Ram 1500 with 3.0 ecodiesel engine
Recently I had a issue with the truck turning off when it was at idle sitting in my driveway. I found a fault for P0087 fuel rail/system pressure -too low
Removed and replaced fuel filter thinking it could be plugged causing fuel restriction in the fuel system. I cleared the code and started the truck without any issues. The truck didn't show any signs of problems for 2 weeks. My wife informed me that the truck didn't want to start when she was leaving going to work so when i got home to try to start it the engine turned over about 6-7 times and started turn the truck off and restarted it without any issues. Same problem happens 2 weeks later so my question is during my research on google it tells me it could be a faulty fuel pressure sensor or fuel pump is going out. I don't think its the fuel pump because when it starts there is no issues with it. i am thinking its the fuel pressure sensor. What do you think?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
HPCR sensors rarely fail, #1 Cause water contamination. When they do fail its generally NO start, Its needs to send Voltage to ECM VIA input wire, or it loops and misses when running, its likely to be the electronic LV/PRV or Injectors returning to much fuel when cranking.

The in tank pump can also cause long crank no start.