• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Having nightmares about my ecodiesel

mlinth

Jan 8, 2022
Truck Year
This year has been hell for me an my ecodiesel. I bought the truck new in 2015 and just loved the truck. I have the longhorn Laramie edition in Prairie pearl color with the brown interior. Still getting compliments on the looks of the truck. Had no major issues with it up until this year. Over the years had the number of recalls, had the cruise control go out but that was it. In February went on a 500 mile trip. Got almost to my destination and went to pass a car on a two lane road. and when I returned to my lane, engine started knocking. Had it towed to a local dealer in Georgia who after diagnosing the issue said they found lots of metal in the oil pan. Said I needed a new engine which they ordered. 4 months later the engine came in and it was installed. ($12,500) They never did tell me what went wrong, but I got a feeling the timing chain slipped. So got the new engine with a warranty and everything was fine. after 3 weeks got a check engine light. Took it to the dealer locally where I bought the truck and they replaced a sensor in the exhaust system which was under warranty. Last month headed out on another trip and got a check engine light again. This time was near the dealer that put the engine in and they forced a regen and it cleared the light. They said if the light came on again they only thing they could think of was that it needed a new Diesel Particulate Filter ($3500) Drove it another 1,000 miles and light came on with a code of P2459. Didn't want to spend the $3500 yet so After some research and good reading I thought I'd check the DEF injector which I presume could be keeping the DPF from cleaning during driving. It was crusted and the inlet to the DPF was also encrusted. I cleaned it and put it all together and then I got a code P2047. I purchased a new DEF injector and installed it, but when I tried checking it, nothing was spraying out of it, not even a drip. So I thought that since the truck had sat for 4 months out in the yard of the dealership that maybe the DEF fluid had clogged eveything up. I went over to the DEF pump at the bottom of the DEF tank and disconnected the DEF fluid line from the pump to the injector to see if the pump would work and maybe the DEF line was clogged. Nothing, no leak, no drip no pumping action from the pump.

So now I'm at a loss on what to do next. I can get a new pump and put it in, along with a new hose from the pump to the injector. If it do that do you think it will clear the P2047 and if I get the injector working would that have an effect on the DPF cleaning itself? Does the DPF use the DEF fluid as a cleaner to get the crud out? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've been trying to clear this myself since the dealer would charge me a fortune to do the trouble shooting and then replacement.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
This year has been hell for me an my ecodiesel. I bought the truck new in 2015 and just loved the truck. I have the longhorn Laramie edition in Prairie pearl color with the brown interior. Still getting compliments on the looks of the truck. Had no major issues with it up until this year. Over the years had the number of recalls, had the cruise control go out but that was it. In February went on a 500 mile trip. Got almost to my destination and went to pass a car on a two lane road. and when I returned to my lane, engine started knocking. Had it towed to a local dealer in Georgia who after diagnosing the issue said they found lots of metal in the oil pan. Said I needed a new engine which they ordered. 4 months later the engine came in and it was installed. ($12,500) They never did tell me what went wrong, but I got a feeling the timing chain slipped. So got the new engine with a warranty and everything was fine. after 3 weeks got a check engine light. Took it to the dealer locally where I bought the truck and they replaced a sensor in the exhaust system which was under warranty. Last month headed out on another trip and got a check engine light again. This time was near the dealer that put the engine in and they forced a regen and it cleared the light. They said if the light came on again they only thing they could think of was that it needed a new Diesel Particulate Filter ($3500) Drove it another 1,000 miles and light came on with a code of P2459. Didn't want to spend the $3500 yet so After some research and good reading I thought I'd check the DEF injector which I presume could be keeping the DPF from cleaning during driving. It was crusted and the inlet to the DPF was also encrusted. I cleaned it and put it all together and then I got a code P2047. I purchased a new DEF injector and installed it, but when I tried checking it, nothing was spraying out of it, not even a drip. So I thought that since the truck had sat for 4 months out in the yard of the dealership that maybe the DEF fluid had clogged eveything up. I went over to the DEF pump at the bottom of the DEF tank and disconnected the DEF fluid line from the pump to the injector to see if the pump would work and maybe the DEF line was clogged. Nothing, no leak, no drip no pumping action from the pump.

So now I'm at a loss on what to do next. I can get a new pump and put it in, along with a new hose from the pump to the injector. If it do that do you think it will clear the P2047 and if I get the injector working would that have an effect on the DPF cleaning itself? Does the DPF use the DEF fluid as a cleaner to get the crud out? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've been trying to clear this myself since the dealer would charge me a fortune to do the trouble shooting and then replacement.
The P2047 code is indicative of an open circuit in the DEF Doser (Injector) circuit, that would lead me to look for an open circuit to the Doser module, this would also explain no response from DEF pump as that module also controls the DEF pump. So right now purchasing a DEF pump and hosing would appear to be inappropriate expenditure. Check the module function, voltage levels, so more research and investigation.
The DPF is not a function of the DEF system in the SCR so I believe you are working on two different issues. The Diesel Particulate Filter is cleared during passive Regeneration by high temperature and active Regenration cycles (DeSoot) by injection of raw diesel during the exhaust stroke when prompted by readings from differential pressure sensors.
Good Luck.