• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HEATER NOT WORKER EGR RELATED?

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
I had my 2016 3.0L ED reprogramed about a month ago. First the transmission coolant bypass failed a day after the work was completed. A coincidence? I don't think so. Yesterday my heater stopped working; not good when it's 19 degrees outside. I was able to press the circulation button and the AC button and I got the heat back on. I drove it about 60 miles today and the heat cut out 3 times. Again, manipulating the circulation button and AC button I was able to get it to come on intermittently. It also has that sweet Prestone smell in the cab now. I'll bring it into the dealership again on Monday morning.

Any one had this happen to them or any thoughts on the matter? Normally you'd say thermostat but I shouldn't be getting that sweet Prestone smell in the cab. Could it be related to the EGR? Thanks.

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
About 2 months ago, the intake caught fire and had to be replaced. Is this related in your opinion? Thanks.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
not related they were burning holes long before they started the ecm update

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
Does a heater core typically go bad at 58,000 miles on a diesel motor? I've owned about 20 vehicles in the past 40 years and never had a heater core go bad in a gasoline motor. This 3.0L just seems to have problem after problem. Thanks.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
the eco diesel has more problems than most people realize if I had a few hours to list them I would. make sure the expansion tank is full 2 the line if the cooler is leaking that would cause no heat due to low water. if the cooler is leaking fmc has none they r backorderd

Last edited:

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
Even if your degas tank (plastic tank top center of engine) is not empty you may be low on coolant in the system. (due to EGR cooler leak) Fill to full mark drive until truck reaches full operating temp let cool then check coolant level. You may need to add again. If this doesn't stay full after the second time you add coolant/distilled water you likely have an EGR cooler leak and its going out your tail pipes. A 2016 that has had the AEM done will be covered by warranty ie the replacement of the EGR cooler. If you won't do the AEM and or have already an upgraded tune you can fix the EGR cooler leak permanently with an EGR cooler delete kit. Its way cheaper and better than buying a new EGR cooler.

My truck 2nd motor has the EGR cooler. (618,000 miles on the truck used commercially to tow) I did the AEM but immediately fixed that by restoring engine & trans tunes lol before leaving the dealer lot. The motor warranty expires just before the 1st of the year. EGR cooler would be covered first under that warranty then also by the AEM (if I had not messed with anything) however assuming the EGR cooler lasts until then I will delete it as I did with the first motor once it fails.