• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HELP

Mike5034

Jan 6, 2019
Truck Year
Im dangerously close to buying a 2018 Laramie. I cant pull the trigger mainly because of all the horror stories across the web on these motors. Its the perfect truck too. In my lobster boat i have a cat c-18 rated at 1015 hp so i am not a stranger to diesel. Had 6 or 7 different diesels in my life. Never with exhaust reburn or dpf crap. We look for 12000 hours before major overhaul or repower in most boats . Im reading that some eco engines are cooked within months of new. Question is, if i putt around town and put 6 or 7 thousand miles on truck each year will this motow work for me or cause more grey hair? I dont think deleting it and voiding my warranty is a good plan. But dont want to be in the garage all the time either. Thanks in advanve for any insight. And please eat maine lobster also.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome Mike! Glad to have you here... if you like the truck and it has a warranty why not give it a shot? Most love the EcoDiesel because of the efficiency of a full size truck. If you're not using the truck that much, perhaps a gas motor would fit you better? It all really depends on how you use the truck and if you feel the extra money up front is worth it.

Arkie 16

Apr 3, 2018
Truck Year
10,000 miles in 29 months. No issues, no codes. Empty short trips with some 50 mile rounds

Mike5034

Jan 6, 2019
Truck Year
10,000 miles in 29 months. No issues, no codes. Empty short trips with some 50 mile rounds
Do u have a way of doing forced reburns or only when the truck asks for it? Sounds like u have made no modifications. My truck would idle a lot of its life. What year is your truck? Thanks

DaveRH

Feb 5, 2019
Truck Year
Im dangerously close to buying a 2018 Laramie. I cant pull the trigger mainly because of all the horror stories across the web on these motors. Its the perfect truck too. In my lobster boat i have a cat c-18 rated at 1015 hp so i am not a stranger to diesel. Had 6 or 7 different diesels in my life. Never with exhaust reburn or dpf crap. We look for 12000 hours before major overhaul or repower in most boats . Im reading that some eco engines are cooked within months of new. Question is, if i putt around town and put 6 or 7 thousand miles on truck each year will this motow work for me or cause more grey hair? I dont think deleting it and voiding my warranty is a good plan. But dont want to be in the garage all the time either. Thanks in advanve for any insight. And please eat maine lobster also.

I'm brand new to the forum. Bought A 2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. Like it, BUT at 39,000 miles the check engine light, and service throttle body module message popped up. (In Chicago area, -10 degrees out) Called the dealer, made an appointment, and the next day the exhaust filter 100% full light also popped on.

Dealer says bad EGR cooler-$2700 and warranty gone at 36,000 miles. Too bad, so sad. They said since it was so close, they would only charge me $890 or so. Good deal? Not sure. They also need to replace the exhaust filter. At 39,000 miles? The car is only 14 months old. I didn't do anything, except drive it.

The technology is cool-it just doesn't work very well yet.