• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How cold can it turn over in?

Solduios

May 6, 2021
Truck Year
Hey guys I am from Flagstaff AZ and looking at a job in Butte MT. The question is on my 2019 Eco Diesel is how cold of weather can it handle? I have heard that it can go lower than most bigger diesel before needing to plug it in. I currently don't have any warmer as it never goes much below zero up here in the wintertime.

This is my first time on these forums and still new to the Diesel thing getting oil and filters done earlier than the recommended mileage. Did first oil change after 2500 miles to get rid of break-in junk and proceeding to do an oil change at every 5k. I just don't trust 10k oil changes on a diesel truck with all the exhaust crap they put on there.

So far 7,200 miles on my 2019 4x4 no issues.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Do you have a block heater cord? There should be a block heater, but you may need to get a cord for it. I think I would plug it in going to that much colder climate. As far as oil changes I'm going 6000-7000 miles, and MOPAR fuel filter every other oil change. Tune it with a tune that shuts off the EGR & the oil will do much better!

Solduios

May 6, 2021
Truck Year
Do you have a block heater cord? There should be a block heater, but you may need to get a cord for it. I think I would plug it in going to that much colder climate. As far as oil changes I'm going 6000-7000 miles, and MOPAR fuel filter every other oil change. Tune it with a tune that shuts off the EGR & the oil will do much better!

I don't believe it came with a heater block when I changed my air filter I didn't see any cords or anything I can double check.

*I see some info that said gen 3 came with one from the factory just no cord I will check with my dealership when I get my oil changed.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I think the the VM 3.0 comes with the heater installed, BUT you have to add your own cord if you didn't get the cold weather package or whatever it's called. I've seen postings about others buying a cord elsewhere and saving a fair amount of money.

My 12th DSL

Apr 26, 2018
Truck Year
I live in Canada and I never plug in my 2014. My unheated garage was in the teens on the F scale of temp this past February. It would sit outside at work for 9 hours at -30F or below and started every time. If you plug in a block heater, put it on a timer. All you need is 2 hours.

Solduios

May 6, 2021
Truck Year
Thanks for the info guys I might get a tune on it later but still early I don't want to void my warranty yet.

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
With block heater used -40C in Fort Mac start just like on summer day but the diesel does not produce allot of heat for the cabin a bit of a chilly ride. I have started at -26 C not plugged in without any trouble.