• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How Many People Are Buying 2020, EcoDiesel .

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
Just wanted to know how many people are going to buying the new 2020, eco-diesel and how many people are going to keep the truck that they have.

Mando Michigan Mark

Aug 27, 2018
Truck Year
Just wanted to know how many people are going to buying the new 2020, eco-diesel and how many people are going to keep the truck that they have.
My dealer is buying me out of me EcoDiesel and ordered me an identical version (DS body style - like my 2015) with a Hemi. Same color, features, etc. I'll even be able to put my matching $1800 fiberglass cap on the new RAM. My wife just didn't want us taking a risk with the iffy track record on these, and the over 10% failure rate of these engines when traveling and pulling our RV. Hemi will be less economical from a gas/fuel perspective (though diesel fuel is typically higher priced to the point that 24 mpg with a diesel is a wash with 17 mpg gas engine), but the Hemis are pretty durable and have a solid track record.

Last edited:

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
The 2020 has new improvements and updates, but who knows of FCA addressed the bigger issues around the new one? Time will tell I guess..

They are great looking trucks though, and still attractive with the fuel mileage they get.. but GM and Ford is going to cut into those sales with their trucks on the market now.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
The 2020 has new improvements and updates, but who knows of FCA addressed the bigger issues around the new one? Time will tell I guess..

They are great looking trucks though, and still attractive with the fuel mileage they get.. but GM and Ford is going to cut into those sales with their trucks on the market now.
That is something that I considered as well, the way the new trucks look now I think the Chevy would be a better bet. Please don’t kill me for saying so.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
That is something that I considered as well, the way the new trucks look now I think the Chevy would be a better bet. Please don’t kill me for saying so.

I'm a pretty big Duramax fan, so no grief here. I'll be looking at the new 3.0L I6 Duramax next myself..

Mando Michigan Mark

Aug 27, 2018
Truck Year
I'm a pretty big Duramax fan, so no grief here. I'll be looking at the new 3.0L I6 Duramax next myself..
It's probably a crap-shoot with any diesel these days. Neighbor has a 2016 dually-wheeled 4x4 1-ton Chevy with a Duramax, pulls large trailers with show horses all over and has had it crap out on him several times on trips to/from horse shows. (His Dad's 3/4 Chevy with the Vortex V8 chugs right on past him...) Another friend has the 6.0 Powerstroke in a Ford, and emissions have caused issues with that as well - including EGR cooler. I have a cousin who had a 1988 3/4 ton Ford with a V-8 diesel - might have been one made by International back in the day - and put nearly 300,000 miles on it with minimal upkeep. EPA won't let manufacturers release an engine like that any longer. My dealership told me that 'puff of black smoke' when you put your foot in it is totally forbidden now, and that's what these emissions updates are doing - prohibiting the torque and power you'd want from a diesel.
:(

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
It's probably a crap-shoot with any diesel these days. Neighbor has a 2016 dually-wheeled 4x4 1-ton Chevy with a Duramax, pulls large trailers with show horses all over and has had it crap out on him several times on trips to/from horse shows. (His Dad's 3/4 Chevy with the Vortex V8 chugs right on past him...) Another friend has the 6.0 Powerstroke in a Ford, and emissions have caused issues with that as well - including EGR cooler. I have a cousin who had a 1988 3/4 ton Ford with a V-8 diesel - might have been one made by International back in the day - and put nearly 300,000 miles on it with minimal upkeep. EPA won't let manufacturers release an engine like that any longer. My dealership told me that 'puff of black smoke' when you put your foot in it is totally forbidden now, and that's what these emissions updates are doing - prohibiting the torque and power you'd want from a

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
My dealer is buying me out of me EcoDiesel and ordered me an identical version (DS body style - like my 2015) with a Hemi. Same color, features, etc. I'll even be able to put my matching $1800 fiberglass cap on the new RAM. My wife just didn't want us taking a risk with the iffy track record on these, and the over 10% failure rate of these engines when traveling and pulling our RV. Hemi will be less economical from a gas/fuel perspective (though diesel fuel is typically higher priced to the point that 24 mpg with a diesel is a wash with 17 mpg gas engine), but the Hemis are pretty durable and have a solid track record.
My hemi just pulling my fat ass only gets 12mpg

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I know aluminum block diesels have been around for a while but I would be leary of the new chevrolet. I do like the idea of a straight six diesel but I am not sure I trust GM and the first run aluminum block.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
I know aluminum block diesels have been around for a while but I would be leary of the new chevrolet. I do like the idea of a straight six diesel but I am not sure I trust GM and the first run aluminum block.
I feel the same way, I think that I will wait and see if Chev has a lot problems with this new engine. I think the inline 6 was the way to go.

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
Remember when the Ford 6.0 came out, they were the best money could buy they sold like hot cakes, and look what happened to them, why would anyone want a new GM diesel that has zero track record, maybe 4-5 years down the road

Mando Michigan Mark

Aug 27, 2018
Truck Year
My hemi just pulling my fat ass only gets 12mpg
A friend of mine just traded in his EcoDiesel for a 3/4 ton RAM with the 6.4 Hemi, and claims he's getting over 17 mpg. I guess we'll wait and see. My old 2000 Quad Cab with the 360 'Magnum' V8 never got north of 14 mpg on a two-lane, 60 mph highway trip in the 16 years I had it. Like you, it got maybe 12 mpg empty, and pulling our trailer, it couldn't pass a gas station. (6-7 mpg)

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
A friend of mine just traded in his EcoDiesel for a 3/4 ton RAM with the 6.4 Hemi, and claims he's getting over 17 mpg. I guess we'll wait and see. My old 2000 Quad Cab with the 360 'Magnum' V8 never got north of 14 mpg on a two-lane, 60 mph highway trip in the 16 years I had it. Like you, it got maybe 12 mpg empty, and pulling our trailer, it couldn't pass a gas station. (6-7 mpg)
But it was probably more reliable than you equal diesel.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
The estimated failure rate by 100,000 miles has jumped from 4 percent to 10? Sounds like the size of the fish my buddy caught. Lot of recent Hemis have been rounding cams. Poke it in your search engine. Life is a crapshoot. At least we got a 100k warranty or 60k with the Hemi/Pentastar.

575,000 miles on my truck now transporting TTs. Kind of hope to turn the 1 million mark. But I think another 425,000 is a lot to hope for motor trans truck in general. By then The new ED, 3.0 Duramax and new cgi block Cummins will have some experience and come down on price.