• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hypothetical modification question

Chase90

Apr 16, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hey y'all.

So I am still learning about these motors. I am really interested in getting a RAM EcoD but I want to make sure I understand what I am getting into with one.

So, hypothetically, if one were to do a turbo-back exhaust (deleting emissions junk) and GDE (or similar tune) would that help the EcoD last longer? I mean I know these motors are proving reliability but in some cases it seems that longevity has been compromised in more than a handful of engines. Obviously I know that doesn't necessarily apply across the board, as there are many motors out there with more than 100,000 and some over 200,000+. I know too that some failures could relate to how the truck was driven (I'm learning about warming up before taking off like a bat out of hell) but I'm wondering if these mods would most likely increase the longevity of the engine, given that maintenance procedures were still followed per manufacturer recommendations.

I know it could be argued that removing emissions is bad because of pollution, but my thought process is that if a vehicle can be driven longer without needing replaced or at least a new engine, that cuts down on more pollution that would be created by the manufacturing process than a truck that averages >20 mpg would create. Could be wrong though, I don't have actual numbers obviously.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
You can leave all the emissions hardware intact and still have a reliable engine with a tune. The devil in the diesel is the EGR valve. Take that piece of evil junk out of the loop and the diesel is suddenly a great engine. The Eco is not the first diesel to be troubled by the EGR nor will it be the last.

Nothing wrong with SCR DEF systems or DPF systems. They are good tech that help us all breathe clean air. The EGR though, is straight up poison. The tune turns it off. Anyone looks under your hood you are 100% compliant and you will even pass State emissions. Plus, if you want to sell your truck or trade it in, you can actually do it because dealers do not want to buy deleted trucks.

Chase90

Apr 16, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
You can leave all the emissions hardware intact and still have a reliable engine with a tune. The devil in the diesel is the EGR valve. Take that piece of evil junk out of the loop and the diesel is suddenly a great engine. The Eco is not the first diesel to be troubled by the EGR nor will it be the last.

Nothing wrong with SCR DEF systems or DPF systems. They are good tech that help us all breathe clean air. The EGR though, is straight up poison. The tune turns it off. Anyone looks under your hood you are 100% compliant and you will even pass State emissions. Plus, if you want to sell your truck or trade it in, you can actually do it because dealers do not want to buy deleted trucks.

I have heard with the SCR, DEF, and DPF intact that the exhaust remains super quiet no matter what you do. I don't want to run stacks or anything ridiculous, but I do enjoy having some sound coming out. Is what I've heard true?

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
The DPF makes it half quiet. Take out the muffler and just run a straight pipe from the Cat. Also take off the foam on top of the engine and change out the intake tube and replace it with the Banks intake tube. It'll sound better.

Or get a 2500.

Chase90

Apr 16, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
The DPF makes it half quiet. Take out the muffler and just run a straight pipe from the Cat. Also take off the foam on top of the engine and change out the intake tube and replace it with the Banks intake tube. It'll sound better.

Or get a 2500.

I like you. You're blunt. No BS.

Hawaii_Built

Oct 16, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I found the GDE tune itself made the truck "louder" - not substantially so, but it is definitely noticeable.

Para0203

May 16, 2019
Truck Year

CS,
First, thanks again for linking me up with SKT! Looking forward to getting that settlement money to get the tunes!

Second, what is there truly to gain from taking your truck from Stage 1 to Stage 2? Better MPG? Power? For me as a western hunter, I don’t want a loud truck. Last damn thing I need is to give elk in a deep nasty canyon a heads-up....those critters are hard enough to hunt.

Sf/ F

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
CS,
First, thanks again for linking me up with SKT! Looking forward to getting that settlement money to get the tunes!

Second, what is there truly to gain from taking your truck from Stage 1 to Stage 2? Better MPG? Power? For me as a western hunter, I don’t want a loud truck. Last damn thing I need is to give elk in a deep nasty canyon a heads-up....those critters are hard enough to hunt.

Sf/ F
Once your warranty is all the way up, it is to your benefit to remove all the emissions equipment, especially once it fails. WIth no warranty, the EGR, DEF, DPF systems are very expensive. While they are under warranty it makes no difference.