• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I strongly dislike these glow plugs.

TWAGER

Feb 2, 2019
Truck Year
Hey everybody, I’ve been throwing up an idea on these stupid unreliable glow plugs. I have a pretty fresh engine in my 14 ram brand new out of the crate in 2019 due to 3 glow plugs breaking in the head due to the poor material that swells from heat. So yea… installed the new engine. No emissions. Banks intake, ecm reprogrammed, straight pipe from the turbo back. Truck runs great, has good power nothing to brag about. 21000 later the glow plug cylinder 3 goes bad. Wouldn’t you know same stupid problem at 21k. The other engine had 151k figured this to be typical with the amount of crap the egr pushed into my intake on the old engine. I’ve read several reviews on other vehicles with this engine and this seems to be a very serious problem. Why wouldn’t they use the grid setup in the Cummins? Problem solved I would think. Anyway let me reel myself back in to the bad glow plugs on the new engine. The tips swell on them from heat then when you try to back them out they break. We managed to get lucky and the piece broke blew out the port. We put the new one in and went on our merry way. 20k later guess what, another freakin glow plug. So I’m really considering bypassing the connection. Doubt I’ll get luck on the next one. Warranty is out as well

Augiedoggy

Aug 18, 2021
Truck Year
They replaced the whole engine instead of just the heads? glow plug failure at 21,000 miles seems crazy, so much for thinking they were just freezing from rust in the threads as many do.