• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Injection Pump Replacement

CaptOz

Jan 12, 2022
Truck Year
I have a 2015 Longhorn EcoDiesel Truck(I love this truck BTW) the the CP4 Pump failed on me due to contamination in the fuel. In lieu of taking it to the Dealer and paying $7500 for them to replace the entire fuel system by charging 2x for parts and having incompetent mechanics do the work I thought I would take a stab at it first.

The fuel tank was almost full when I came of the express way about 4 weeks ago and as soon as I got to the light it stalled. It did not turn on again. I had it towed to my house where I first checked the fuel filter which was replaced about 12-15K ago (148K miles currently). The filter was in good condition and the fuel was clean. I then moved to the fuel soleniod/regulator. Upon removing it I quickly I found crud and pump fragments, so I knew the CP4 had died. Prior to this, I had recently taken the truck into the Dealer for the Emissions recall because my regen system was broken. There they supposedly reprogrammed my ECU with the new EPA friendly software and replaced all bad Emission parts. They also told me that I had low Fuel Rail pressure and possible contamination in the fuel system. I left the dealer and not even 600 miles later I started to get the Regen Error again. The dealer now would not look at because they claimed that the contaminated fuel system is causing the Regen/Emissions system to fail. Well that made zero sense to me and I drove away.

I bought a new CP4 and installed it. I separated the pump return and the fuel rail return from each other because we know that the rail is contaminated with metal shrapnel and did not want to ruin a good pump. I checked the fuel pressure coming from the tank and it looks solid. I tried to start the engine and it would do nothing. Not even cough. Its as if the injectors are not firing because the Computer is not allowing it or perhaps that module is bad. I then cracked open all the injectors one at a time to make sure I am getting fuel and sure enough plenty of fuel is getting to each injector. I must of gone through the start cycle now like 20 times. I had to replace a week battery and all. Still I have witness Zero firing. I then purchase an ODM reader BlueDriver and read my codes. I first erased my codes and tried to start to engine to re generate them. I am now seeing P026D which is Fuel Injection Quantity Higher(gets to 4500psi) than expected and P0191 Fuel Pressure Sensor Circuit Range/Peformance Bank(says to replace sensor) . It also shows P2002 which is the fuel filter needs changing and I am going to do that ASAP, but there is good enough flow still.

I understand that I might have damaged injectors and some clogging in the fuel rail and I was expecting the engine to start and run really rough. However, as mentioned previously there are ZERO signs of combustion.

So my question is if there is too much fuel coming why would that prevent it from starting?
Is the Fuel Injection control module bad? how can I trouble shoot that? What controls the injectors from opening to allow fuel into the Cylinder?

Thanks in advance,

Ozzy

CaptOz

Jan 12, 2022
Truck Year
Hi Everyone, I would like to provide an update to my Ecodiesel repair project. After replacing the CP4 an seeing that my engine would not fire, I caved in and bought a whole new Fuel system($3K). Injectors, Rails, Sensors , fuel pipes and hoses and fuel Manifold. I also added a secondary filter to trap any small shavings that might be coming from my tank from the previous CP4 giving me out.

I primed the fuel system twice but hitting the start button only and not holding the break pedal. I then tried to start the engine and it turned for a while with out combustion but at the last cycle it made some noise finally. On the second try It started right up and it running very smooth.

I made a note of the Injector timing number so I can have those programmed in eventually, not that I will notice a difference. Now here comes the baffling part. I am still getting Rail pressure error codes that I can not delete. I am not sure if I have to program the ECM to make those go away. Does anyone know the proper sequence with the ECM after new injectors, rails etc are installed?

Im getting the following Permanent Codes:

P2002 : Particulate Filter Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1
P026D : Fuel Injection Quantity Higher than Expected ( I was getting this before with Contaminated system)
P0191 : Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Range /Performance Bank 1

P24A4: Particulate Filter Restriction - Soot Accumulation too High Bank 1

Pending Trouble Code:
P2463 : Particulate Filter Restriction - Soot Accumulation Bank 1

Also, the DEF regen error is still pending. This reappeared on me 2 weeks after I took the vehicle to dealer to get it fixed (Under Warranty). That did nothing.

The Truck is now running fine but the error codes are annoying.

Can anyone please shine some light on how to get rid of them?

Thanks,
Ozzy

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You will Need Alfa for the code removal.... In the end you will need someone that knows the work arounds of the system, that likely will require WITECH in the hands of someone capable and knowledgeable. Those two words are rare at dealerships or shops in today's world.

CaptOz

Jan 12, 2022
Truck Year
I had a tech come by my house that does re-tunes so that he could program in the new Injector timing info into the Non-volatile memory of the ECM. Afterwards he was able to force a regen with his Programmer device. He was using the Autel Maxisys. He said it cost $6k. https://www.autelsale.com/

The Regen ran for 20 minutes and put the engine at 2450 rpms for that amount of time. After the test was completed and we rebooted the trucks ECM , ALL of the Error Codes were gone!!!

Apparently , the software algorithm sees the new Injector timing table values and does a re calibration of all the Fuel Rail sensors etc. Also my Regen Filter Particulate error went away.

For now I am happy with the programming. My next move will be to eliminate the EGR and DEF systems and re-tune for maximum efficiency .

Ozzy

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Boy ..did he get rip Off... Glad to hear your up and running.... Alfa will do More for FCA vehicles and cost about $200.00. with lifetime updates from Alfa.
Snap-on , Autel , Etc work for everything great at Nothing.