• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Insulation under plastic cover

Bgbdwlf2500

Jun 24, 2018
Truck Year
What's the general consensus on removing or leaving that mass of foam under the plastic engine cover? Not worried about added noise I dont think but would like to prevent a fire. Also dont want to void my warranty.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I removed it within single Days of ownership (Mar 2015).. The resent increase in fire proves again I was right, 1500diesel.com go pound sand.

I removed everything including the heat soaking CP4 Cover

I mentioned Back in Mid 2015 three years form then they would be increase in fires.

Attachments

• Ecodiesel fire engine.jpg
    Ecodiesel fire engine.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Ecodiesel fire.jpg
    Ecodiesel fire.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Ecodiesel fire 2.jpg
    Ecodiesel fire 2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Removed Sound insul 3.0 ecodiesel.jpg
    Removed Sound insul 3.0 ecodiesel.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 40

Bgbdwlf2500

Jun 24, 2018
Truck Year
I removed it within single Days of ownership (Mar 2015).. The resent increase in fire proves again I was right, 1500diesel.com go pound sand.

I mentioned Back in Mid 2015 three years form then they would be increase in fires.
Does it all pull right out or do you have cut it into pieces? Looks like from the pic it comes out in a few solid pieces.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
It takes some effort to remove it, It solid pieces.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
There is 0% proof the foam insulation increase fire risk. Most of the fires are due to dpf’s getting to hot or the egr bypass valve malfunctioning. If you want to greatly reduce fire risk remove those components. But they do trap heat into the engine just not enough to make fire. The reason they are there is to reduce NVH or noise vibration and harshness. Taking the foam pieces off does allow for better cleaning and inspection on your engine. But it also makes the engine louder.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
0 proof, are you blind, look at the engine its covered in the left over residue form the foam. Only a fool would believe that age foam does NOT add risk to fires, couple that with soak flammables over the course of time do to leaks. for a few DdB noise

Google auto engine fire and look at the 1000s of melted plastic covers and foam fires

Foam and plastic attract animal life they will rip it apart and build new homes with it in your engine compartment in Hrs increasing the risk of fire...

Readers and member you have choices you can believe your eyes or questionable XX sources.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
0 proof, are you blind, look at the engine its covered in the left over residue form the foam. Only a fool would believe that age foam does NOT add risk to fires, couple that with soak flammables over the course of time do to leaks. for a few DdB noise

Google auto engine fire and look at the 1000s of melted plastic covers and foam fires

Foam and plastic attract animal life they will rip it apart and build new homes with it in your engine compartment in Hrs increasing the risk of fire...

Readers and member you have choices you can believe your eyes or questionable XX sources.

Still dont agree but thats just my opion thats based of knowledge and first hand experience. Fire needs a heat source its not a magical thing.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I hear Ya, But what about

I agree on the source of the fire, It certainly can add to the fire.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
No, on the temps, I think it has little to NO effect on temps, its clearly someone wild idea at FCA that the additional + dB would scare off buyers, IMO my hearing cannot tell the difference.

I was not aware of the cause. Just pointing out fires do happen .. did you Google the plastic fires?

xtrviperxtr

Aug 11, 2023
Truck Year

Proof to a fire yes. But here is another fact about them foam pieces .They are supposed to help in winter environments to keep the injectors from freezing. Side effect ig any one of your fuel injectors leaks the foam becomes soaked in diesel . Very hard to dry . Both sides of the covers sit over high heat sources.. I had to remove one due to a fuel line leak that soaked the foam piece . Of course one that is closer to the turbo so as it warmed up the diesel would run from foam right on to the down pipe to exhaust .... Key part is the foam holds heat great in winter areas. But foam can holds liquids to.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I removed the engine cover and all the foam off my 2016 in 2016. So much easier to observe things and to clean the engine and compartment.