• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is this 2018 EcoDiesel dead (rod bearings failure) ?

DRCC

Sep 11, 2022
Truck Year
It happened on the highway while pulling a 7000 lbs travel trailer on flat surface. The truck is a 2018 Ecodiesel with 118,000 KM / 73,000 miles and has had a GDE tune on it since 75,000 KM / 46,000 miles. There were no warning signs, the truck has had regular service and oil changes and the towing was very mild: only 5000 KM / 3000 miles for its whole life. Except the loud noise and banging, there are no lights showing up in the dash.

The is no warranty left and I am hoping this is not the dreaded rod bearing failure.
Can anyone diagnose what is happening from the sound in the videos?

Last edited:

Sarum

Oct 18, 2017
Truck Year
It happened on the highway while pulling a 7000 lbs travel trailer on flat surface. The truck is a 2018 Ecodiesel with 118,000 KM / 73,000 miles and has had a GDE tune on it since 75,000 KM / 46,000 miles. There were no warning signs, the truck has had regular service and oil changes and the towing was very mild: only 5000 KM / 3000 miles for its whole life. Except the loud noise and banging, there are no lights showing up in the dash.

The is no warranty left and I am hoping this is not the dreaded rod bearing failure.

Yes that’s the rod bearing for sure, happened to me on my 2016 at 98,000 kms and they replaced the engine with a new complete crate engine. They said it was 22,000 billed to Chrysler.. which is insane
In your case get it rebuilt of find a rebuilder or used one for 2k-4K
Mine also had the GDE tune with def delete

burwellflagin

Feb 14, 2022
Truck Year

same thing happened to me - 74k miles 2016 - out of warranty. what's funny is we love the motor - until it leaves us stranded on the road. Got no staying power. I have heard wives tale of some with 300k miles on them. I hear more about about what happens to us. I should have bought a Cummins.

rodd

Mar 19, 2022
Truck Year

mine went out with 113k miles. I was 13k over the warranty. I had the dealer contact the ram area service rep to see what they could do because it shouldn't have happened that soon since I have 3 other diesel trucks with 300k+ miles with no issues. It took a couple months but they replaced it under warranty once I gave them all my oil and filter receipts for the maintenance I had done.

biggrits21

Nov 24, 2019
Truck Year
mine went out with 113k miles. I was 13k over the warranty. I had the dealer contact the ram area service rep to see what they could do because it shouldn't have happened that soon since I have 3 other diesel trucks with 300k+ miles with no issues. It took a couple months but they replaced it under warranty once I gave them all my oil and filter receipts for the maintenance I had done.
I have a 2015 just happened to me Saturday I think they replaced your motor cause they know they put crap out there knowing it was going to break.I also think they know there's going to be a class action lawsuit that's going to make them keep making motors long after they wanted to stop (2035)

rodd

Mar 19, 2022
Truck Year
I have a 2015 just happened to me Saturday I think they replaced your motor cause they know they put crap out there knowing it was going to break.I also think they know there's going to be a class action lawsuit that's going to make them keep making motors long after they wanted to stop (2035)
I just bought an oil bypass system from extreme diesel. Hopefully keeping the oil clean will prevent it from happening again.