• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

It Finally Happened....DTC's Cometh.... Had to call in a Ford SD

Gossman78

Oct 2, 2016
Truck Year
Well it finally happened. 63,294 miles (2015 Laramie Limited) and the pulling my TT up to the lake and threw a P24AE (Particulate Matter Sensor Circuit). I carry a reader in the truck b/c I'm skeptical. Got the TT to the camp ground unhooked and cleared the DTC after the manuals prescribed shut down restart cycle x 3. All was running smoothly. Spent two days running around the campground to the different sites then yesterday started a climb to a fellow campers site. Hit the tow/haul button and then all hell broke loose. The dash lit up. Service engine light came on and the (what I call kiss of death) Electronic Throttle Control light came on.... Lost all power. Climbed up the hill at 3000 rpm and 5mph. Saw my buddy and drove back to the campsite (all downhill). I thought that perhaps things just got mis-communicated. Shut truck down. This am preparing to leave the campground had to go back up the hill and same behavior. The utter lack of power to just push the truck up the hill was anemic. Sounded like the turbo isn't even running (perhaps the waste gate commanded to be always open?). Anyway, had to call my friend to come get the TT as I couldn't even pull it off the site if I wanted. Plugged into the truck and got 6 total codes. Two of them cycled 3 times. P0299 (Turbo/Supercharger Underboost) followed by U1424 (Implausible Engine Torque Signal Received). Just to get the truck out of the super remote campsite I had to clear the code until the Turbo started working. Taking it to the a dealer in Longview tomorrow.... Worst part is I'll never hear the end of it from the Ford guys...DangIt FCA just DangIt...

I've been on this thread since I bought the truck hoping and praying....Thoughts?

Attachments

• P24AE.jpg
    P24AE.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 30
  • P0299.jpg
    P0299.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 30
  • U1424.jpg
    U1424.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 29

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Gossman78, I will try and Help I've seen this many times, its a easy fix in most cases, unfortunately , The Dealer will more interested in Your Banks funds than the easy fix. Call Me on it 763-228-712 Todd. don't be concerned with those Blue Oval Guys.

Gossman78

Oct 2, 2016
Truck Year
Gossman78, I will try and Help I've seen this many times, its a easy fix in most cases, unfortunately , The Dealer will more interested in Your Banks funds than the easy fix. Call Me on it 763-228-712 Todd. don't be concerned with those Blue Oval Guys.
Thanks for the offer Todd. I just tried to call but alas I think there is a digit missing in the last part of the number. Feel free to call: XXXXXXX

Last edited by a moderator:

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Ok I will call You Now Then edit your number OUT.

Gossman78

Oct 2, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks for editing the number out. I appreciate your time on the phone today. Certainly give me the upper hand. I'll update this thread as the situation unfolds.

Gossman78

Oct 2, 2016
Truck Year
I've edited out the number for Gossman. Thanks for helping out each other!
Thanks for the edit... I've been on the site for a long time. Don't take it for gospel, do your homework and use common sense. Being persistent...

Gossman78

Oct 2, 2016
Truck Year
Why not share the "easy fix" with the rest of the forum?
The fix John mentions is already on the site in previous threading about Electronic Throttle Service...MAP Sensor removal and clean in combination with foaming. In general, trying to keep the intake as 'clean' as can be. In my case I've got the exteneded warranty (10yrs/100,000mi) that I bought at time of purchase.

Gossman78

Oct 2, 2016
Truck Year
Update: Fired the truck up to take to the dealer and good news. I apparently own the first magically self healing truck b/c no lights came on at all. Just ran as normal. Which for me is as big a red flag as the actual issues. Anyway, took it to the dealer and gave them the keys with photos of the codes I had to clear in order to get it out of the campsite. Still awaiting a phone call.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Update: Fired the truck up to take to the dealer and good news. I apparently own the first magically self healing truck b/c no lights came on at all. Just ran as normal. Which for me is as big a red flag as the actual issues. Anyway, took it to the dealer and gave them the keys with photos of the codes I had to clear in order to get it out of the campsite. Still awaiting a phone call.

Yea, it will likely happen again I bet.

Gossman78

Oct 2, 2016
Truck Year
UPDATE #2:
Dealer called. They are replacing the Particulate Matter Sensor. Says the issues I experienced are from that code. When prodded and asked if they were applying an ECM update she said yes. When asked what it covers she simply stated that since I received the U1424 (Implausible Engine Torque Signal Received) it authorized them to update the ECM with solution. I asked what TSB was associated to this ECM update so I could read what changes she again simply stated this ECM flash isn't associated with a TSB and that it was an update the details of which are internal to FCA.... I kindly explained I will in fact need an explanation for the update. I'm also bummed b/c somehow another DTC was thrown (that my $1500 reader cant read) stating the truck was overloaded. I asked what the threshold was and when it was thrown but they couldn't tell me. I pick up the truck Monday, $110 deductible out of pocket.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
ALL New updates, have Part Number and associated changes made, the only ones that are NOT specific are certain trans updates.

Gossman78

Oct 2, 2016
Truck Year
ALL New updates, have Part Number and associated changes made, the only ones that are NOT specific are certain trans updates.
Are those updates always available to the consumer or are there versions for FCA/Dealer eyes only?

John

Nov 13, 2015
I'm also bummed b/c somehow another DTC was thrown (that my $1500 reader cant read) stating the truck was overloaded. I asked what the threshold was and when it was thrown but they couldn't tell me.
Maybe this fault is in the BCM instead of the ECM

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Are those updates always available to the consumer or are there versions for FCA/Dealer eyes only?

If you Purchase WItech and Tech Authority Account Yes, But we are talking cost of $4000.00 - $8000.00 I update FCA vehicles all the Time....

Gossman78

Oct 2, 2016
Truck Year
UPDATE:
Picked up the truck from dealer. $380 for new particulate matter sensor and $260 for labor. All covered by warranty. Service manager told me that warranty provider (Allstate) wanted to know the following: Does it have a 5th wheel mount, does he tow, does it have a brake controller, are there any modifications to the ECM, Are there any modifications to the emissions systems and lastly, and to me the strangest, are there any dents in the bumper or tailgate. Anyway, $110 deductible out the door. The 'solution' mentioned in the previous post was a in dealer solution set. Essentially, it was explained, that if other dealers report enough times what they saw in failure modes and corrective actions they are sent to other dealers as 'solutions'. So, the 'solution set' for my U1242 Implausible Engine Torque Data received was to check the turbo cooler feed line, Update ECM (increasing the frequency of the EGR valve cycling? leading to cleaner intake? and TCM (shifts much much better now) flash and two other things I couldn't memorize prior to her closing up the paperwork. Long and short of it is I'm keeping it bone stock until 100k and/or litigation is completed.