• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

It just happened to me - 2016 Eco Diesel burst into flames

Kevinham7

Jun 28, 2019
Truck Year
I've read the threads and it just happened to me. Driving down the highway, "check ignition" light comes on, smoke starts billowing out of the engine bay and within a minute or two the entire truck is engulfed in flames. I'm safe, it's just a truck but has anyone had any success with suing their dealership/Chrysler or even getting a replacement? This is a 2016 truck with 40K miles on it and it just burst into flames for no reason, there's obviously a flaw here. Any help or advice appreciated.

John

Nov 13, 2015
First off I would contact the insurance company and let them deal with FCA if they determine it wa a defect.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
When engine fires occur the fire itself destroys the cause unless experts investigate the cause its a guess , the expense is enormous until unfortunately someone is killed be the fire the investigation necessary to find the cause is unlikely

Its way to common.

I will guess 1st the sound foam hides leaks the turbo heat ignites the foam and the engine will be in flame in seconds.

There's been two confirmed NONE running fires also.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I've read the threads and it just happened to me. Driving down the highway, "check ignition" light comes on, smoke starts billowing out of the engine bay and within a minute or two the entire truck is engulfed in flames. I'm safe, it's just a truck but has anyone had any success with suing their dealership/Chrysler or even getting a replacement? This is a 2016 truck with 40K miles on it and it just burst into flames for no reason, there's obviously a flaw here. Any help or advice appreciated.
Wish I didn’t know what you’re going through, and I can say from personal experience I will never own an FCA product again after mine burned down. Insurance didn’t give me near enough money, these trucks are virtually worthless. I had Gap and that took care of it, regardless though it was a disaster and FCA should be ashamed that a year and a half old pickup lost over half its value. I had a loaded Laramie too, not the fanciest package, but short of air ride and limited seats and stuff it was completely loaded. I don’t think going after the dealer will be worthwhile, they sold it, they didn’t build it.

cozycabin

May 3, 2019
Truck Year
A 2020 Ford or GM
yeah, I think you're right. I have to say after 30+ years of pickups, Ford never gave me a single hiccup. Never a dealer visit or warranty instance. My one silverado was a death machine. Like stopping a sled on ice, and everything else. Very bad vehicle in almost every way. That was early 2000's though.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Because the Motor is assemble and R/D in Italy its extremely difficult to investigate the real cause of the failures and fires. Did Motori inform FCA of the QC and FCA ramped production anyways? Another reason to NEVER BY foreign Vehicles or engines. Its a risk I'm not going to take again I broke My personal VOW not to buy Overseas after My Mercedes Junk and all I did was confirm what I already new with the VM 3.0 , Overseas Products are overrated and Over engineered.

The Ford 3.0 is also Manufactured in EUR.

I have resources and connections and even My sources are in the dark on reliable info.

IMO the FCA Motori relationship will end in (More) Millions in losses to FCA, I hope I'm wrong and the 2020 VM 3.0 is a hero and not the Zero the 2014-18 is.

John

Nov 13, 2015
IMO the FCA Motori relationship will end in (More) Millions in losses to FCA, I hope I'm wrong and the 2020 VM 3.0 is a hero and not the Zero the 2014-18 is.

VM Motori is wholly owned by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles through its subsidiary Fiat Group Automobiles.

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
Ford has a large recall on F150 trucks for fire issues, so does GM, and Honda Ridgeline, and the US mail delivery trucks are burning, also I guess the answer is don't own a truck or maybe ride a bike, be well insured, and keep your truck properly maintained

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Ford has a large recall on F150 trucks for fire issues, so does GM, and Honda Ridgeline, and the US mail delivery trucks are burning, also I guess the answer is don't own a truck or maybe ride a bike, be well insured, and keep your truck properly maintained
All somewhat sound advice, except, when something is meticulously maintained and insured properly it’s kind of a moot point. Fords recall is for an engine block heater, and they’re admitting the problem, and fixing it. FCA could give a crap less that the EcoDiesel is blowing up left and right and catching fire spontaneously.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
VM Motori is wholly owned by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles through its subsidiary Fiat Group Automobiles.

I'm aware of that...VM does NOT report to FCA, they report to the parent Company/Group...I have the FCA/VM Memo's 1300 pages of company communications, Names, Emails, Phone #s, Dates You name it, I have it. I believe in the future this info will become public....

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I like My bank Accounts just the way they are, and Breathing a good thing, Not to mention it would be unfair....I was the one that broke the actual failure Rates and post it Months before that became Public.....

Boostn would kick Me out of the forum and delete it anyways.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
I traded my Eco off Thursday for a 2019 Hemi. Loved my Eco but didn’t trust it. It took trips to a few different dealers to find one that gave a fair price for mine.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I just put another 320 miles on mine , 55/65 MPH Hwy 7 Stop&Go... 21.8MPG HC went to truck Pull in Hutch.

Boostn open forum for 2019 Please.....I like this place and want to stay....

John

Nov 13, 2015
I'm aware of that...VM does NOT report to FCA, they report to the parent Company/Group...I have the FCA/VM Memo's 1300 pages of company communications, Names, Emails, Phone #s, Dates You name it, I have it. I believe in the future this info will become public....
and please name the parent Company/Group as it can't be top secret

fxclm5

Mar 16, 2018
Truck Year
how dafooq do we not have a massive lawsuit about ecod catching on fire........ 1-2 years ago I was reporting this shit and ppl thought i was cray cray, now the forums are literally filled with different owners/threads of fires.......

wtf, makes me think my shit is going up in a ball of flames too :(