• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Left Rear Axle Replacement

PNWEasternWaEco

May 9, 2019
Truck Year
150k, 2016 ED 3.92 gear ratio. GDE Tune.

On 9/30/2020 I was pulling a light 1,000 lbs load down the highway at 65 mph. I looked out my side mirror and observed a giant cloud of smoke. I pulled over and witnessed gear oil covering left rear wheel and trailer. The smoke was from the gear oil hitting the brakes and almost igniting. Close call. Had it towed to mechanic. The axle shaft bearing was completely destroyed. Shaft needed replaced as well.

R59 recall only covers manufacture dates from 06/2015-09/2015, mine was manufactured 10/2015. Anyone else have similar issues? Worth contacting FCA to attempt reimbursement? I already submitted a complaint to NHTSA.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
How was your axle service status? Obviously there was oil in it if it was throwing it out but what condition was it in? If the axle bearing fails that it ruins the shaft, it most likely galled up and seized and spun on the shaft which creates tremendous heat and smokes the oil not the brakes