• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Light Speed Innovations Tuning review

Rmanf150

Feb 8, 2020
Truck Year
Hello Guys, and Gals

First I want to apologize for the novel up front, I’m a long winded talker/ type. If your looking for a tune soon for your Ecodiesel, please bear with me, as this company (Light Speed Innovations) deserves to be looked at for your business. 2 weeks ago, I helped my girlfriend buy a used and 2014 WK2 with the Ecodiesel. I was confident enough to buy the car in limp mode because of the deal I was able to acquire on the vehicle armed with the information from this and a few other forums. I didn’t find out until after I bought the thing and got it home, that I couldn’t get it tuned in the US any longer. That was a little bit of a panic moment until I researched further.

I am going to say this before I go on with this review. I am a paying customer of Light Speed Innovations, other than having a few great conversations with their tuner Cam, I have no other affiliation with these guys. I live in New Orleans Louisiana, and they are in Alberta Canada. I paid FULL PRICE for these services, and there has been no promise of a rebate, refund, or additional services at a free or reduced rate of any kind. The only thing I purchased from them for this build was the Tuning Services. In fact, my experience was so great, I regret that I didn’t find them earlier, as I would have purchased all of the parts for this build from them just to support their business. I am simply doing this as a thank you to Cam, and Light Speed Innovations. This is my way of trying to contribute to the community that helped me already with this vehicle purchase!

I’m going give a short background on myself and tuning experience. I run a technology consulting company in New Orleans. I like to call myself an IT guy who likes getting his hands dirty. I previously owned a 2002 Harley F150 from 2006-2015 with the Supercharged 5.4L. After going to a larger upper pully, I was lucky and only blew a head gasket instead of snapping a connecting rod which was very common when you started to turn up the boost on those trucks. Me, my dad, and a friend pulled and rebuilt the entire engine in a 2-car garage with all forged internals. Back then, tuning was canned or semi-custom. Canned tunes only worked with a few minor upgrades, and then there was custom tunes that you would send the tuner a list of all your upgrades and specs, and they would send out a tune. They could adjust and email the tune as needed. Based on my experience, I determined that it was worth the money for the Custom Tune.

I was quite surprised and nervous to learn that I had to send the entire ECU anywhere much less to another country to get tuned. I also noticed that most tuning companies specifically said “DONT SEND ECU WITH CHECK ENGIN LIGHT ON!” Which stuck me in a bad spot because I couldn’t get my code cleared unless I replaced an EGT sensor ($85, and a PITA to replace), and then I had to bring it to a dealer to have them do the force regen. (BTW, this is before I knew about AlfaODB). All the information I was getting, and even hearing from some of the other tuning companies, was that I had to go get this code cleared before I could send off my ECU to them, that is until I found and contacted Light Speed Innovations out of Alberta Canada.

When I called Light Speed Innovations, the first thing that stood out was how quickly they answered the phone, with a proper business greeting to top it off. I told the person on the phone what I had, and what I was looking to do, and I was told to hold for Cam, he was the guy who handled EcoDiesel Tuning. Cam answered the phone very promptly, and politely asked how he could help. As I started to describe my situation, he hesitated for a moment, and said man you seem like a nice guy, and I understand the situation your in, and id like to try and help. He said that due to the MIL Light he couldn’t guarantee anything, but he had a backup plan for if it didn’t take hold, and he could send me a hand held programmer that he could email the tunes to me to upload myself if need be. He offered to give me a full refund on the handheld programmer if I did need it at all, to take away any hesitation I had about the extra cost implied. He really went out of his way to answer questions and save me the time, money and effort of having to replace that EGT sensor, and then bring it back to the dealer to pay a service fee for them to do the forced regen.

At this point, I was comfortable with sending off the ECU, so I pulled the trigger. He told me to wait to pay until he received the unit and had a better idea of what he could do with it given it had that MIL Light on. He called me as soon as he received the ECU to let me know he got it, double check what I wanted done with it, and to assure me it would be sent out the very next morning first thing.

The news got even better though (mostly because I didn’t pay attention) their site has their prices listed in CAD. I didn’t think to do the conversion, but it turned out the service was almost $200 cheaper than what I thought it would be after the dollar conversion!!!!

Because of my MIL Light situation, I had to hold off doing the EGR Modifications and “Repairing” of the DPF system =) so I got the computer installed and tested the vehicle, and WOW was this a whole new vehicle. Remember up until this point I had only driven it in limp mode, so this thing gave me quite a shock with how much power it has. His Tune had worked perfectly, the MIL light was gone, Limp mode was off, and I was cleared to start getting my hands dirty =).

If you’re looking for any custom tuning for your Ecodiesel vehicle (it looks like they do a lot of other vehicles other then Ecodiesel as well), please check them out. They were great to work with; they were always available or returned calls promptly. Cam is definitely a master of his craft when it comes to tuning these EcoDiesel’s, but I called in with some follow up questions on a day he was busy helping another customer, and the person who was helping me ( sorry to say I don’t remember his name) was able to answer my questions very confidently as well.

From beginning to end, this was a great customer service experience. Ultimately this tune, and the information on these forums allowed me to get this vehicle bought and running reliably for under 14k, which is an amazing deal on a vehicle with this much capabilities, features, and economy. Thanks!

http://lightspeedinnovations.com/

Last edited:

My 12th DSL

Apr 26, 2018
Truck Year
I second your recommendation for Lightspeed. Great bunch there.

Last summer after being told be the dealer that I needed an EGR I started looking for a delete and came across Lightspeed nearby in Red Deer, AB. I dropped off my truck in August for the EGR/DEF delete and a few days later picked up a 'new' truck. What a difference it made in the performance. I recommend it for anyone with this diesel.

They have a dyno and work quite a lot on performance cars.

In October the truck developed an exhaust noise when I was pulling my RV. Stopped by on my way home from work a few days later. Cam had a quick look, grabbed a wrench and crawled under the truck in the snow to tighten a sensor in that had come loose. They would not take payment for his time.