• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Losing fuel economy

Patriot_tech

Nov 12, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hi All,
I am a relatively new owner of my 2018 Laramie 4x4. I bought the truck back in July and overall I am pleased with it. It seems that as the weather has turned colder - Northeast Ohio, my fuel economy has dropped from 27ish to 22ish on average. I have about 14000 miles on the truck now.

This is my first diesel, so maybe this is normal. I don't know. Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

Thanks in advance for responses!

SimpleManRam

Mar 31, 2016
Truck Year
Hi All,
I am a relatively new owner of my 2018 Laramie 4x4. I bought the truck back in July and overall I am pleased with it. It seems that as the weather has turned colder - Northeast Ohio, my fuel economy has dropped from 27ish to 22ish on average. I have about 14000 miles on the truck now.

This is my first diesel, so maybe this is normal. I don't know. Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

Thanks in advance for responses!

Winter grade fuel and warm up idle time.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
8%-12% Fuel Loss is very common winter Months.

chum

Dec 15, 2018
Truck Year
Warm up idle was my problem

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JVF

Jan 5, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
I just bought a 2018 Laramie. 1200 miles. Was wondering about the fact I was only getting 19-20 mpg. Even though the first 1000 miles was on the road in two days. Came out of Kellogg, ID. Yes it was cold. Hope this is the reason. Will comment in the Spring under warmer conditions.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I just bought a 2018 Laramie. 1200 miles. Was wondering about the fact I was only getting 19-20 mpg. Even though the first 1000 miles was on the road in two days. Came out of Kellogg, ID. Yes it was cold. Hope this is the reason. Will comment in the Spring under warmer conditions.
Seems to me, even in winter, if I keep my truck 65mph or under I can pull 25+ mpg on the freeway. Anything over that and it drops like a rock. Couple high speed with a headwind and it’ll really knocks it down. 19-20 seems low, but then again these trucks are picky on conditions....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chum

Dec 15, 2018
Truck Year
I actually get better mileage in winter, 24-25 average. This past summer it was at 22-23.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BighornCraig

Feb 5, 2019
Truck Year
I was wondering guys, are there ideal driving setting for economy. For example, I am driving to Florida tomorrow, does keeping the truck in 2 wheel drive change anything?

Beeson

Feb 9, 2019
Truck Year
I was wondering guys, are there ideal driving setting for economy. For example, I am driving to Florida tomorrow, does keeping the truck in 2 wheel drive change anything?
Yes. 2wheel drive and use a light pedel. coast when you can and ease back into it. I have been able to get 31mpg on long trips trying to keep it under 70mph at 60-95deg outside.
bighorn crew 4x4 with minor upgrade,
measured from tank overfill to tank overfill

BighornCraig

Feb 5, 2019
Truck Year
Yes. 2wheel drive and use a light pedel. coast when you can and ease back into it. I have been able to get 31mpg on long trips trying to keep it under 70mph at 60-95deg outside.
bighorn crew 4x4 with minor upgrade,
measured from tank overfill to tank overfill

Just got back in from my trip, thanks for this reply. I kept it in 2wd, switched to 4wd when it got a bit Snakey and we hit Freezing rain in West Virginia.

Your milaage is awesome. I got an average of 9.9l per 100kms. I worked yours out to look like mine and its close to 7.5 per 100 kms. My truck is new to me, but used, 2015. There are a tone of small Mountains on my route so it's difficult to keep a nice easy pace, and with the rain and the traffic, even coasting was hard so I think there was room for a bit better performance.

Although it seems awesome I onder if it might need a good tune up. I doubt the Dealer did much more than just give it a Safety and an oil change. I put 2900 miles on it on this trip Driving from Toronto to Orlando after having it only a few days.

• Used Howes Diesel treat as it was -10 when I started. I think I used a little too much but all seemed ok, it was hard to work out all the conversions in my haed at the truck stop... I was tired.
  • got an engine light 200 miles in, turned out to be DEF because it went away when I refilled in Orlando, so that was a relief.
  • On the way back yesterday I saw decent milage however got another CEL in West Virginia so I stopped at an Advance Auto parts and the kid there hooked up the OBD and we pulled a P026C code. Injector issue I guess. I assumed there could be clogged injectors from using too much howes, or just generally being dirty from previous owners use. I was low in Fuel anyhow (this tank had no howes) and we ran Seafoam which I had planned anyhow. Cleared the code and Fueled up. Put another 380 miles on her and still clear of the CEL. Plan to got out an plug er in for a few hours then go for a drive and see how today is.

All in all I'm happy. I get a scared as it's my first Diesel truck, I am not in tune with proper engine noise, sounds etc so I get paranoid. i.e. when you put the key in to start up, it sounds like there is air blowing under the truck...wtf is that. hahahaha Odds knocks but not consistent knocks the ususaully tell a bad tale of a failing engine.... I'm sure I get comfortable soo enough.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
All additive do (Other than lower the cloud point) is mask problems in Diesels, if you continue to use additives you will increase your problems in the ED.

Call any refinery and ask for the chemist Dept, they will clearly indicate that additives can possibly cause separation of the additive already in the fuel when it left the refinery. Example MN has mandatory Bio-diesel, when correctly refined and scrubbed its the best fuel you can use in Diesels, Now you take and dump snake oil in the tank does what to the additives the refiner used to make it compatible.

My 1st warning to New ED owners is to beware of the 1500deisel.com some of the info on that site is misleading.

Put your ED on a steady Diet of OAs for trends, it will aid in future on whats happening to the rotating mass and fuel dilution info

BighornCraig

Feb 5, 2019
Truck Year
All additive do (Other than lower the cloud point) is mask problems in Diesels, if you continue to use additives you will increase your problems in the ED.

Call any refinery and ask for the chemist Dept, they will clearly indicate that additives can possibly cause separation of the additive already in the fuel when it left the refinery. Example MN has mandatory Bio-diesel, when correctly refined and scrubbed its the best fuel you can use in Diesels, Now you take and dump snake oil in the tank does what to the additives the refiner used to make it compatible.

My 1st warning to New ED owners is to beware of the 1500deisel.com some of the info on that site is misleading.

Put your ED on a steady Diet of OAs for trends, it will aid in future on whats happening to the rotating mass and fuel dilution info

So, Seafoam is bad?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
IMO, Yes, and it does NO good, save the $ for maintenance.

BighornCraig

Feb 5, 2019
Truck Year
Well, I will definitely keep that in mind, so far, the codes have stayed away. I've never been into additives and my vehicles have all run well, as I said, the Diesel world is new to me, I just want my truck running to it's absolute best capibility.

Godzuki

Mar 20, 2019
Truck Year

A steady diet of "OAs"?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Oil analysis.

Attachments

• 15 RAM 1500-180512.pdf
    29.3 KB · Views: 21

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
I can only give the best advice I know. You gotta turn off those EGR valves to maximize your mileage and engine longevity. I did it with a GDE tune when my truck had 5k miles on it. It has never averaged less than 26 MPG. I rarely tow. The soot in the intake, all over the swirl valves and in the bottom end of your engine does no good.

Patriot_tech

Nov 12, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Interesting info. I have seen mileage creeping back up as we get somewhat warmer weather. I am interested in the GDE tune, but need to see how it affects warranty. Just have not searched for the info yet.

Beeson

Feb 9, 2019
Truck Year
I recommend the GDE tune also, as that is what i have (4-mpg gain). Cold weather is a fuel mileage killer for the ED. #1 diesel provides lower mpg's, and the transmission needs to warm up to 190-deg in order to allow the high mpg #'s. it takes 15 miles to warm up to operating temps in nice weather. when cold weather hits the trans may take many miles to get into the sweet spot for mileage. look at your mpg when cold and running at a set speed on flat land, compare it to when the trans is warmed up at the same speed and flat land. 5-8 mpg difference is not uncommon. Spring, Summer and the start of Fall you will be more happy with the mileage. your 7.5 per L. (24-MPG) is within guidelines for your winter driving.
Have you had any freezing code issues with the Blue (UREA) system? i have heard the ED trouble codes will shut down the truck if the exhaust additive is not flowing.

Godzuki

Mar 20, 2019
Truck Year
What is a GDE tune?
What are EGR valves?
How does GDE effect EGR?

Sorry for all the questions.