• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

MAJOR Diesel-ema...

71Moparman

Jan 13, 2020
Good evening all! I am totally new here and am looking to upgrade this year, within the next 3-4 mos. to a new(er) Ram coming from an '05 Dakota. I have been trying to decide between a 2017 or newer 2500 with either the Cummins or HD 6.4 HEMI or an eco-Diesel...?? Most I would ever be towing is 9-10K or less which ALL the above are capable. I also enjoy the occasional off road journey--mild to moderate but nothing close to extreme mudding/rock crawling/Baja. Here are my "must haves" = Crew cab, 6.5' or 8' bed, 4x4, leather... So, engine wise, and I KNOW this is an "eco-Diesel" forum, but looking for open minds and helpful knowledge. Mileage is important but not "critical". Thanks in advance for your input!!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome, sounds like the 6.4 might be your best option. The fuel mileage will not be good.. but 10K on the EcoDiesel is topping it out for sure if you tow that much often... something bigger would not hurt.

The 6.7 is a great motor but you're going to pay that diesel premium up front.

71Moparman

Jan 13, 2020
Welcome, sounds like the 6.4 might be your best option. The fuel mileage will not be good.. but 10K on the EcoDiesel is topping it out for sure if you tow that much often... something bigger would not hurt.

The 6.7 is a great motor but you're going to pay that diesel premium up front.
Most of my towing (80-90%) is no more than about 6-7K, sooo...?

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Well that is a big change from 10,000 to 6-7K. 10000 would be at or over the max rated tow capacity.
I have a crew cab 5.7 foot 4 x 4 and the max is 9460.
I tow 5000 all the time with no issues.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
6.4L Power Wagon!