• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Major Electrical Issue or something else?

mikeh67

Jun 22, 2021
Truck Year
I'm new to the forum so hopefully I am posting at the correct location. I did an introduction message and highlighted my issue, but didn't want to continue that thread under that category, so I'll summarize here and hopefully can get some help. I'm hoping one day I can provide answers and not just ask questions but right now I new to the ecodiesel.

Just purchased a used 2016 RAM ecodiesel and had a check engine light with the following codes:
P242B - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1 Sensor 3
P2455 - Diesel Particulate Filter Pressure Sensor A Circuit High
P2453 - Diesel Particulate Filter Pressure Sensor A - Circuit Range/Performance
Short story is used car dealer said they would order a new Particulate Pressure Sensor and replace it when it came in. I should have know better but I really loved the truck and I went ahead and purchased.
Drove great for about 300 miles, then while driving on the highway I had a loss of power and the message "Service Electronic Throttle Control" came on the dashboard. Still drove ok but seemed like it was lacking power (maybe no turbo?)
Anyway I decided to start looking under the truck for any obvious issues and found the following electrical connection:
1624541088417.png
It was suggested that I check out this and other electrical connections. So that is what I did. Drove the truck onto ramps, turned it off and I was under the truck and made sure there was no loose wires, wiggled all the connectors I could find to make sure they were tight and I spent a fair amount of time on this connection including disconnecting and reconnecting.
Now I have MAJOR issues. The Truck will not start and I get the following messages on the dash board:
Still have the "Service Electronic Throttle Control" message plus the following:
"Service Electronic Braking System"
"Service Trailer Braking System"
"Service DEF System See Dealer"
"Exhaust Filter 80% Full Safely Drive at Highway Speed to Remedy"
"Service Transmission Continue in D. Do Not Shift or Turn Engine Off Until you Reach a Desired Location. You May Not Be Able to Shift Again Until Serviced"

The last one I'm assuming is why I can't start the truck. Also the truck was not running so not sure why it came up saying continue driving.

So I'm "guessing" I have some electrical issues, can't believe the transmission, DEF, trailer brake, etc. all went bad except if it was electrical (especially because I was looking at electrical stuff and disconnected and reconnect the wire connector in the picture.

Does that seem reasonable? At this point I am thinking of maybe looking to replace wire harness on the truck, I'm assuming I will need to replace the harness on both sides of the connector in question. Or am I looking at the wrong place? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
So to be clear, the codes got worse after you played with the wiring? It’s deffinately got to be something in the large plug pictured. If they knit picked wires out and spliced them, then it may be the plug is failing. Correct splicing wire to wire shouldn’t be an issue, but it’s most likely 110% electrical.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Wow!! Assume picture.
I have only witnessed this type of wiring "repair" when the gang plug has corrosion or bent connector pins. I would agree partially with Tremper126, You have additional electrical issues.
First: the first three codes if not corrected at the source, will result in a "Limp Home Mode" activation once they trip again while being an active code in the ECM memory.
Second: the "Service Electronic Throttle Control" also results in immediate "Limp Home Mode"
Third: once "Limp Home Mode" is engaged the DEF regeneration is stopped and your shift is limited to third gear, the turbo boost is limited, the fuel injectors timing is limited as well. If you continue to drive the vehicle your next list of codes will result, along with "Low Turbo Boost", "Fuel Inject capacity below expectation" and whatever issues the previous owner was trying to correct with the wiring jumpers.
There are numerous threads regarding the "Service Electronic Throttle Control" error message. My humble investigation has found at least 86 issues which trip this code. Some as mundane as a loose connection at the camshaft position sensor to exhaust temp sensor or EGT temps.

If you are considering wiring harness replacement, you are correct, you will need to replace both sides of this connection. At present I am not aware of any repair connectors available from FCA or the aftermarket. A technician familiar with this vehicle and it's systems is without a doubt indispensable.

Good luck.

mikeh67

Jun 22, 2021
Truck Year
Update - Had my local RAM dealer replace the connector (both sides) and all codes and issues were cleared. Cost around $900 but given the headache that a bad electrical connection could cause it seemed worth it. Had I been able to find an aftermarket connector with pigtails I would have done it myself.
Thanks for the info and advice. Looking forward to spending more time on this forum.

Jackpot

Nov 14, 2022
Truck Year
Update - Had my local RAM dealer replace the connector (both sides) and all codes and issues were cleared. Cost around $900 but given the headache that a bad electrical connection could cause it seemed worth it. Had I been able to find an aftermarket connector with pigtails I would have done it myself.
Thanks for the info and advice. Looking forward to spending more time on this forum.
Hi mikeh67, i have the same issue, got HPFP & lift pump change and then the garage tried to fix the fuel in water sensor and got all strange code after that.
By chance do you know the part number for the the connector they've replace,, can find it online?

Last edited:

lgjhn

Dec 9, 2022
Truck Year
I've had mine come loose a couple of times.
When it comes loose, all kinds of messages and codes come up. The last time it happened, I couldn't even shut the truck off. Had to call a service tech to tell me how to shut it off...LOL.
That last time, I accidentally went thru some pretty deep water way too fast and opened it up. The connector lock is pretty flimsy to start with as is the push-thru connectors that are supposed to hold it all to the frame rail.
I pulled it apart, spayed both sides with a good contact cleaner, a very light touch of dielectric grease, put it back together, then took the biggest tie wrap I could find; (the kind HVAC contractors use for ductwork), fished it up thru the frame rail and back down over the closed connector and tightened it as hard as I could. So far, no more issues with it.

Meatplow

Feb 10, 2024
Truck Year
Wow!! Assume picture.
I have only witnessed this type of wiring "repair" when the gang plug has corrosion or bent connector pins. I would agree partially with Tremper126, You have additional electrical issues.
First: the first three codes if not corrected at the source, will result in a "Limp Home Mode" activation once they trip again while being an active code in the ECM memory.
Second: the "Service Electronic Throttle Control" also results in immediate "Limp Home Mode"
Third: once "Limp Home Mode" is engaged the DEF regeneration is stopped and your shift is limited to third gear, the turbo boost is limited, the fuel injectors timing is limited as well. If you continue to drive the vehicle your next list of codes will result, along with "Low Turbo Boost", "Fuel Inject capacity below expectation" and whatever issues the previous owner was trying to correct with the wiring jumpers.
There are numerous threads regarding the "Service Electronic Throttle Control" error message. My humble investigation has found at least 86 issues which trip this code. Some as mundane as a loose connection at the camshaft position sensor to exhaust temp sensor or EGT temps.

If you are considering wiring harness replacement, you are correct, you will need to replace both sides of this connection. At present I am not aware of any repair connectors available from FCA or the aftermarket. A technician familiar with this vehicle and it's systems is without a doubt indispensable.

Good luck.
My 2015 had most of those issues as well. It ended up being corroded wires starting at the ecm and subsequent plugs thereafter. They charged me $1200 to replace four plugs and clean up the wires. Lasted almost a year and now another service def error communication error which will be more bad plug connections. I couldn't sell the truck like that and cant get into the dealer for a month. 90k miles. Lemon law on ram wiring 😳

SJK

Aug 19, 2018
Truck Year
Pull the connector back apart and look for a bent or broken pin before you go any deeper.

Meatplow

Feb 10, 2024
Truck Year
I'm new to the forum so hopefully I am posting at the correct location. I did an introduction message and highlighted my issue, but didn't want to continue that thread under that category, so I'll summarize here and hopefully can get some help. I'm hoping one day I can provide answers and not just ask questions but right now I new to the ecodiesel.

Just purchased a used 2016 RAM ecodiesel and had a check engine light with the following codes:
P242B - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1 Sensor 3
P2455 - Diesel Particulate Filter Pressure Sensor A Circuit High
P2453 - Diesel Particulate Filter Pressure Sensor A - Circuit Range/Performance
Short story is used car dealer said they would order a new Particulate Pressure Sensor and replace it when it came in. I should have know better but I really loved the truck and I went ahead and purchased.
Drove great for about 300 miles, then while driving on the highway I had a loss of power and the message "Service Electronic Throttle Control" came on the dashboard. Still drove ok but seemed like it was lacking power (maybe no turbo?)
Anyway I decided to start looking under the truck for any obvious issues and found the following electrical connection:
View attachment 3445
It was suggested that I check out this and other electrical connections. So that is what I did. Drove the truck onto ramps, turned it off and I was under the truck and made sure there was no loose wires, wiggled all the connectors I could find to make sure they were tight and I spent a fair amount of time on this connection including disconnecting and reconnecting.
Now I have MAJOR issues. The Truck will not start and I get the following messages on the dash board:
Still have the "Service Electronic Throttle Control" message plus the following:
"Service Electronic Braking System"
"Service Trailer Braking System"
"Service DEF System See Dealer"
"Exhaust Filter 80% Full Safely Drive at Highway Speed to Remedy"
"Service Transmission Continue in D. Do Not Shift or Turn Engine Off Until you Reach a Desired Location. You May Not Be Able to Shift Again Until Serviced"

The last one I'm assuming is why I can't start the truck. Also the truck was not running so not sure why it came up saying continue driving.

So I'm "guessing" I have some electrical issues, can't believe the transmission, DEF, trailer brake, etc. all went bad except if it was electrical (especially because I was looking at electrical stuff and disconnected and reconnect the wire connector in the picture.

Does that seem reasonable? At this point I am thinking of maybe looking to replace wire harness on the truck, I'm assuming I will need to replace the harness on both sides of the connector in question. Or am I looking at the wrong place? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Wiring harness from the ecm down, corroded plugs and connections.