• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

MPG DROP AFTER UPDATE

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
How many have noticed a drop in MPG after they got the computer update? I had the update done this past summer. My average MPG at that time was 23.6. I don't tow hardly anything. I don't live in the city. I drive to work roundtrip each day at about 25 miles, most of that is on the highway at a speed of 55 mph. I was happy with the 23.6 mph. The sticker when I bought it was 19 city, 26 highway with a combined 22 mpg.

After the reprogram I noticed fuel economy dropping. Today I am averaging 19.7 mpg. That's almost 4 mpg less than pre-program and a little over 2 mpg less than the advertised MPG when I bought the vehicle. I was also under the impression when I bought the truck that as the diesel motor got some miles on it, the fuel economy would likely increase.

I have not changed my driving habits at all since I bought the truck. Simply, after the reprograming of the software, the MPG has decreased significantly. Has anyone else experienced this? Also has anyone else experienced that at times when you get in the truck and shift it, it doesn't do anything? I then have to turn the knob to "P" and turn it back to "D" to get it to go. This probably happens 2-3 times a year and did it even before it was reprogrammed. I haven't seen much discussed about this issue.fullsizeoutput_67fc.jpeg

Dec 14, 2015
Truck Year
How many have noticed a drop in MPG after they got the computer update? I had the update done this past summer. My average MPG at that time was 23.6. I don't tow hardly anything. I don't live in the city. I drive to work roundtrip each day at about 25 miles, most of that is on the highway at a speed of 55 mph. I was happy with the 23.6 mph. The sticker when I bought it was 19 city, 26 highway with a combined 22 mpg.

After the reprogram I noticed fuel economy dropping. Today I am averaging 19.7 mpg. That's almost 4 mpg less than pre-program and a little over 2 mpg less than the advertised MPG when I bought the vehicle. I was also under the impression when I bought the truck that as the diesel motor got some miles on it, the fuel economy would likely increase.

I have not changed my driving habits at all since I bought the truck. Simply, after the reprograming of the software, the MPG has decreased significantly. Has anyone else experienced this? Also has anyone else experienced that at times when you get in the truck and shift it, it doesn't do anything? I then have to turn the knob to "P" and turn it back to "D" to get it to go. This probably happens 2-3 times a year and did it even before it was reprogrammed. I haven't seen much discussed about this issue.View attachment 2392
There are a lot of comments on the thread titled Unhappy with mileage after emissions update lots of interesting reading there.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
you r not alone with that complaint but their a few stating the same milage or aminute better they got the special tune

jrtepperary

Jul 23, 2018
Truck Year

I have not changed my driving habits at all since I bought the truck. Simply, after the reprograming of the software, the MPG has decreased significantly. Has anyone else experienced this? Also has anyone else experienced that at times when you get in the truck and shift it, it doesn't do anything? I then have to turn the knob to "P" and turn it back to "D" to get it to go. This probably happens 2-3 times a year and did it even before it was reprogrammed. I haven't seen much discussed about this issue.View attachment 2392
I had the recall done I think it was may or June,before the cutoff date for the rebate. I also lost about 8 to 10 miles a gallon. I just went on a 5800 mile vacation. my vacation to cape cod up the coast to Maine and back and it said my average miles per hour was 38 but yet I was going a lot faster on the interstate however anyway it said that my mileage was 15.3 gal per Mile. I should say that there was 15.3 miles per gallon. now I am finishing up the rebate forms got in my truck and the check engine light is on. Had it checked and found out that the EGR system is all burned up. Probably because of my trip I don't know but thank God I had the extended warranty.. also found out that there is now a recall November 1st 2019 on the EGR valve system

jrtepperary

Jul 23, 2018
Truck Year
I had the recall done I think it was may or June,before the cutoff date for the rebate. I also lost about 8 to 10 miles a gallon. I just went on a 5800 mile vacation. my vacation to cape cod up the coast to Maine and back and it said my average miles per hour was 38 but yet I was going a lot faster on the interstate however anyway it said that my mileage was 15.3 gal per Mile. I should say that there was 15.3 miles per gallon. now I am finishing up the rebate forms got in my truck and the check engine light is on. Had it checked and found out that the EGR system is all burned up. Probably because of my trip I don't know but thank God I had the extended warranty.. also found out that there is now a recall November 1st 2019 on the EGR valve system
By the way I only have just almost 50,000 miles on the truck. a lot of people talk about a tune and I was very close to buying one gde but found out it voids all your warranty stuff and they say that they can tell when one was put on there because it's real chorded

Tom Bailey

Dec 14, 2019
Truck Year
By the way I only have just almost 50,000 miles on the truck. a lot of people talk about a tune and I was very close to buying one gde but found out it voids all your warranty stuff and they say that they can tell when one was put on there because it's real chorded

Yeah I've had about a four mile per gallon drop in my 2014 ecodiesel after the update. I have been told by a Technician that a Banks Bullet would cure the issue. But it may also void the new warranty. Anyone have any input on the subject of after market modifications to restore fuel mileage and Horsepower ?