• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My 2015 EcoDiesel with 33,000 mi caught fire this morning.

James E Andreasen

May 30, 2018
Truck Year
I was starting a 1200 mile trip from Mobile Al to Omaha NE pulling a TT this morning and made it a total of 3 miles when my engine lost power. I could hear a tapping sound right before it started losing power. I pulled over to the side of the interstate in morning rush hour traffic and at first though there was steam coming up from under the hood. I popped the hood and flames shot up about 2 feet from the rear of the engine compartment. I closed the hood and shouted for my wife to "Get out! It's on fire!". She ran without hesitation to the travel trailer which we never lock when traveling and brought me a fire extinguisher. I reopened the hood and this time the flames were high enough to wrap up to the windshield. I almost emptied the fire extinguisher but got the fire put out.

Truck Firep on the Interstate.jpg

Truck Fire.jpg

Fire Extinguisher.jpg

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Sorry to hear. Glad you had a fire extinguisher nearby as it could have got the travel trailer as well. As long as everyone is safe is all that matters.

I wonder how insurance will handle this one? Since it looks like it's pretty contained to one area.

Welcome to the site!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I removed all that foam within a week after purchase..I recommend removing all the sound foam.

Attachments

• Ecodiesel 3 0.jpg
    Ecodiesel 3 0.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Removed Sound insul 3.0 ecodiesel.jpg
    Removed Sound insul 3.0 ecodiesel.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 57

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
I removed all that foam within a week after purchase..I recommend removing all the sound foam.

Hey TC,

what’s the benefit of removing all the foam?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Lowers the fire chances, More importantly it will aid in lowering repairs costs and extend the life of Injectors and wiring. Regardless of what you hear Heat (extreme) is a enemy to HP/ pumps systems , another tip in hot summer months keep fuel tank full when convenient and try NOT to drop below 1/4 tank on hot summer trips.

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
Lowers the fire chances, More importantly it will aid in lowering repairs costs and extend the life of Injectors and wiring. Regardless of what you hear Heat (extreme) is a enemy to HP/ pumps systems , another tip in hot summer months keep fuel tank full when convenient and try NOT to drop below 1/4 tank on hot summer trips.

Thank you for the follow up, and clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z-Rider

Jun 28, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
How much work is involved in removing the foam? Is any of it glued into place or is it just remove the cover and pull out the foam?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
About 2 hrs to remove both sides and the pump cover. I'm going to cut that down to 15 Minutes on My next sound foam removal, its going to be knife/razor removal.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year

Their has been a steady increase of engine compartment fires with the increase use of Plastics and foam.

It happens to all makes, the more foam and plastics the greater the risk of fire.

The only reason Makers cover over the engine with plastics is to fool buyers form seeing the complexity of components and deaden sound to encourage snowflake buying.

Leave that ED outside in wooded areas and the animal life will build its new home with material furnished.

Your Truck, Your Money, Your Choices

Bgbdwlf2500

Jun 24, 2018
Truck Year
Totalled more than likely. Fire and flood usually no hesitation to total

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Last year when discussing another matter with GDE tuning they recommended removing the foam inserts. I did not do that because I was concerned about added noise. After more research and threads like this about foam and fires, I am going to remove the foam. For those that have removed their foam, was there an increase in noise?

Another advantage I see is it makes it easier to clean the engine which I do periodically.

Z-Rider

Jun 28, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Last year when discussing another matter with GDE tuning they recommended removing the foam inserts. I did not do that because I was concerned about added noise. After more research and threads like this about foam and fires, I am going to remove the foam. For those that have removed their foam, was there an increase in noise?

Another advantage I see is it makes it easier to clean the engine which I do periodically.
I’m with you in this. I think I’ll be removing mine next weekend when I spend a few days adding items to the truck.

Alexandr Got

Oct 22, 2018
Truck Year
Sorry to hear. Glad you had a fire extinguisher nearby as it could have got the travel trailer as well. As long as everyone is safe is all that matters.

I wonder how insurance will handle this one? Since it looks like it's pretty contained to one area.

Welcome to the site!
Can you please shear more information. Did you fixed ? What could couse a fire

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I beginning to wonder what fate is going to finish off the 3.0, the Fire's or the DOJ/EPA.