• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New guy WTB eco,

M6Scout

May 19, 2019
Truck Year
Ive read a few post and liked the support from the members. So. I decided to join !

M6Scout

May 19, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks!
I haven’t bought this ‘16 w/ 40k miles yet but about ready to.

I’m reading a few more posts now and must ask... after reading about the past fires, is it a bad idea to leave or remove the foam? What are the realistic pro’s con’s

I don’t believe everything I hear/read, but I do take it into consideration. Then I do my homework and dissect the issue’s so I can find resolve in facts.
I don’t want to sound rude but how mechanically, safe and reliable are these eco’s, when cared for properly. How many built vs percentage of ones with serious issues not normal petty stuff.

I’ve spoke to 5 people that own one (or two), they all praise them and say I couldn’t ask for a better, more comfortable, Reliable truck!
But after reading a bit more on the forum I just want to be an educated consumer 👍

Sincerely

M6Scout

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The VM 3.0 is Hero/Zero Status.

The sound foam has one purpose to deaden sound.

Its damaging to all the components it smoother them to death, cover up fuel leaks until its to late and in the unlikely case it does catch fire it will add to the flames and any effort to extinguish.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Getting the ugly out of the way first - somewhere around 7% of these engines die from main bearing failure. The engines were, in these cases, defective. The good news is that this is the easiest risk to mitigate because warranties on the drivetrain abound.

These are great trucks if you use it the right way. They are not good for stop and go city traffic. The EGR valve sends exhaust back into the intake and this kind of driving maximizes that effect. The DPF will clog up quickly. You will have regular problems with the EGR, EGR cooler and DPF systems if you try to use it this way. Most complaints not related to engine failure are due to the wrong owners buying a diesel.

The EGR cooler is very poor. They fail and they are expensive (covered under settlement extended warranty now) to repair. When they fail they can send coolant into your engine and that does it no good at all.

All these kinds of troubles (not engine failure) can be avoided by buying an engine tune. Think of it as an improved operating system for your trucks computer. The EGR is put to sleep, the EGR cooler no longer gets heat-cycled so it does not fail, the mileage improves, the turbo lag is gone, and the truck is much better. The Sofa King or Green Diesel tunes are great tech that make this a great truck.

Unless you drive exclusively highway get a tune or get a different truck. And yes, take off the foam - who cares how quiet it is? There is no reason to put a flammable piece of foam on top of a truck engine.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
CS, You support tuning and I have No problem with your comments, I would like you to add that its a pay to play act.

This is My stand, I composed this years ago.

Factory warranty Voided emissions

Maybe I can clear this UP, GM All makers Must meet the certification REQUIRED by Federal Law. The instant YOU delete ON/OFF road use (The only exception to this law is Race or off road competition) GM or your Dealer cannot (legally) even repair the Vehicle if it has State Plates.

Enforcement is the issue, Many times action is NOT taken when the warranty is voided, This is the parties involved discretion, MAKE NO mistake YOUR warranty is voided the instant you make defeat or delete steps to any component that’s needed to meet the certification.

Enforcement is the major part of any Law, if No enforcement then it’s a statement, if the parties involved decided to enforce the law it is now binding and absolute.

Your warranty cannot be Voided on all component's that have NO bridge or connection, Example NEW radio cannot void suspension components, but it sure can void ALL electronic communications. Enforcement is the key Part of any law or warranty. When disagreements arise, they are generally decided by arbitration or Judge.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
TC, I do not support deleting except for those who understand the risks. I think the DPF and DEF SCR systems are good tech that help us all breath clean air. If someone wants to delete the emissions equipment on their truck they know that the warranty is done, finished, caput!