• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New member / new EcoDiesel

71_340

May 27, 2018
Truck Year
Last week I traded my Toyota Tundra for a new 2017 Laramie EcoDiesel and so far put about 650 miles on it and I am really impressed with the truck. I am not new to Ram and several Hemis and CTDs. And yes, I have read all the information about the engine problems some owners have experienced. I am not to worried about it since the truck comes with a great warranty and more importantly, I have been a customer at the same Dodge/Ram dealer for about 30 years and I know they will take care of me should the need arise.

I did make a few changes to my truck to suit my needs/taste. They include a Truxedo ProX15 cover, molded mud flaps, chrome step tubes (so the wife can get in easier), Osram Night Breaker bulbs for lows/highs/fogs, and Weathertech window visors. I also have the Mopar rubber slush mats and aluminum fuel and DEF caps in the mail.

I do have a question regarding regeneration. Like I said, I have about 650 miles on my truck (most of it highway) but no regeneration message yet (my owner's manual says there will be a message in the dash). How often does the regeneration happen and when it does will there be a percentage countdown in the dash?

71_340

May 27, 2018
Truck Year
I guess it makes a big difference on how you drive. I usually don't have a whole lot of short trips and drive the Interstate at least twice a month, that should keep things fairly clean.

LaraMeKY

Feb 24, 2018
Truck Year
I’ve had no messages in 10.5k miles. I just make sure to get my girl on the highway every now and then.

71_340

May 27, 2018
Truck Year
1shadowsabre / LaraMeKY,

If both of your trucks are stock you will only get a regen message in the EVIC when the DPF is almost full (I think at 90%). With the OEM tune your truck basically regenerates every 80 miles you drive but there is no message. Found all this out when I researched GDE, I installed their ECM at a little over 900 miles and have now 4400 miles on my truck.

On my truck (GDE tune with optional message) I get the 80% full message approximately every 750 miles driven and then it takes about 10 miles to clean the DPF (burn out the soot). Also, I have about 300 miles on a fresh oil change and the oil is still gold colored.....no more soot contamination for my engine.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
There is different types of regen. Normally it starts when the dpf reaches 65% full and it well just do it with out telling you. But if it gets interrupted and reaches 80% it well display an message on the evic.

71_340

May 27, 2018
Truck Year
Yes, my point was that in stock configuration the regens are rather constant because the engine produces much more soot which end up in the DPF. The soot accumulation in the DPF isn't a big deal, what gets deposited in the intake manifold will stay there and will just continue to accumulate because the EGR system routes exhaust fumes (with soot) into the intake tract which is known to cause all kinds of issues.

That was the main reason I went GDE, it keeps my intake tract and oil clean The improved drivability, slight and safe increase in torque, MPG improvement, better functioning cruise control and the exhaust brake option are just bonuses. GDE isn't cheap but it is well worth it to me.

71_340

May 27, 2018
Truck Year
What did you do.....go back to stock or did you go a different route?

7Milesup

Jun 14, 2018
Truck Year
Don't be cryptic. Which tuner. What did GDE do for you? Did they refund your money?

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Don't be cryptic. Which tuner. What did GDE do for you? Did they refund your money?

I ran the gde tune for 20k so I asked nothing of them, but did sell the ecm for $800 shipped. Switched to Ppei because I prefer there tune it has smother throttle maps and kept my stock cruise control.

7Milesup

Jun 14, 2018
Truck Year
Brokendownbutgood..... Thank you very much for the info. I really appreciate it.