• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Owner - general GDE tune and installation questions

HankED

Jul 9, 2019
Truck Year
I'm the proud new (bought it Saturday) owner of a stock 2015 Laramie Limited ED with 80K miles and i'm scared to death of the new factory tune. From my understanding, everything that can go wrong with these trucks are a direct result of a system (EGR/DPF) that doesn't NEED (unless you're a hopeless California resident) to be there in the first place. Thanks EPA...
It seems that most users here are huge fans of the GDE hot tune and I've seen no reason to believe that I wouldn't be either. I am curious to know what exactly I'd be doing if I ordered a hot tuned ECU from GDE and swapped it with the original. please forgive me if these seem like silly questions, I'm positive that my understanding of these trucks is elementary in comparison to the users of this site.

Does a GDE tune delete my EGR system completely or just change the parameters to something more efficient?
What are the effects on my DPF system with a GDE tune?
Is there anyway to delete my DPF system without pulling it out completely and straight piping from my turbo?

Also, I read the GDE ECU installation instructions to make sure it was something I was comfortable doing myself and the only red flag that pops up for me is in the post-installation notes. My truck is "push to start" so I don't have a key to control my electrical system. I'm either turning the engine over or nothing.

How do I properly complete an ECU power down sequence or trigger an oil life reset?

Finally, is there anything else I should do, other than the hot tune and possibly a trans tune, to better protect this vehicle? My goals are longevity, performance, and fuel economy. I'm not trying to beat anyone off the line, i'm trying to protect my investment and get the most out of it at the same time.

I'm excited to be a new member of this group of EcoDiesel owners. Sorry for the long post.
- Hank

John

Nov 13, 2015
EGR is turned off
DPF will take 10X longer to fill resulting in 10X less regens
Push the button twice with your foot OFF the brake and you are in run position without starting the truck.
The trans tune is an excellent compliment to the hot tune and can always be added at a later date.

HankED

Jul 9, 2019
Truck Year
EGR is turned off
DPF will take 10X longer to fill resulting in 10X less regens
Push the button twice with your foot OFF the brake and you are in run position without starting the truck.
The trans tune is an excellent compliment to the hot tune and can always be added at a later date.

looks like I should have ordered the GDE tune yesterday. Thanks John.

John

Nov 13, 2015
The tunes do a lot for the ecodiesel. Those in CA have the Sofa King option since GDE is not selling to CA residents.

Gunner

Sep 10, 2019
Truck Year
I have had the GDE hot tune on my 2016 since the truck was new. Well maybe had 1000 miles on truck. Almost 55k miles now. No problems with the GDE tune. I think you'll be very happy with it. I also bought an Edge insight monitor to keep an eye on the vitals. I'm getting 30+MPG on the highway 22-24 city.