• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New owner

04MachMan

Sep 1, 2019
Truck Year
Hello everyone,

Been lurking around the forum here for a couple of weeks doing some research and ended up purchasing a 2016 Ecodiesel on Friday. So far I am very pleased with the truck. One point of concern that I have is the engine coolant. It looks awfully dark compared to some of the other pictures that I have seen here. I am worried that I may have picked up a truck with an oil cooler leak. It sounds like there are plenty of horror stories on the various forums when it comes to getting this problem taken care of. I purchased the truck from CarMax so I have until Wednesday to return the truck to them and walk away from it. It only has 23k miles on it so still under warranty. Going to take it by the local dealership on tomorrow and see what they think. What do you all think? Do I have something to be concerned about?

Attachments

• IMG_5191.jpg
    IMG_5191.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 16

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome to the group just drain it and flush it fill it up if there was oil in it it would b stone black unless it is tuned

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
from the pic, the bottle looks pretty clean to me, the ones with oil cooler leaks look really oily and dirty, you're seems pretty normal, as carlhenry said, drain it and fill it, it's probably pretty old anyway.

04MachMan

Sep 1, 2019
Truck Year
Awesome. Thank you both for your response. I feel better about this now.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
One more vote for normal, but its a little low.

Last edited:

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
Doesn’t look like oil. But it should not be low at 23k. It may have an EGR cooler leak. Make them document & fill and if it gets low again in short order warranty replace the EGR cooler.

If you don’t care about being government compliant you can get and EGR cooler delete kit and permanently fix it. That involves having a check engine light unless you get something like a GDE something you should consider regardless.

Oh Being a 16 you need to check if the AEM has been done if not you may be able to do it & collect up to $3,075 from FCA. Afterwards you would want a GDE engine & trans tune to make it better than original and have cash left over.

04MachMan

Sep 1, 2019
Truck Year
The AEM was done back in May. Looks like the previous owner had it done then traded it in. I will be getting the GDE tune as soon as I can. It looks like I may have to wait until after I get my actual registration and plates. I sent them an email with a copy of the temp registration to see if they will take that instead. Waiting to hear back. Do you guys think it would be worth it to do an oil change now. I know CarMax just did one but I have no idea what oil and filter they used.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
Here's a pic of one that has a leaking oil cooler, doesn't look anything like yours.

C5557521-EBF6-4E14-A965-13AABFA8FD98.JPG