• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New to the ecodiesel!

Vmac2

Dec 25, 2020
Truck Year
Well my journey to the ecodiesel was odd. I left the dealership in my 16 hemi only to have one of my wheels break off my truck while driving down the hwy! They paid off my truck and ate the negative equity then gave me a solid deal on a 17 laramie ecodiesel. What should I or what should I not, do to this truck? I've read alot about deleting and going with ecodieselcanada or MRtuning or HD. What do you guys recommend with that as well as other aspects about these trucks that I may not be familiar with? So far I love it and it drives great!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
IMO ALFAOBD and emission changes are mandatory for all VM Products, But your going to lose all the powertrain Warranty if it has any, Still buy the ALFAOBD and run the warranty out before changes to emissions.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its the Ultimate Scan tool for FCA Products, its the next best tool to WITECH, and it probably will stop you from the dreaded 100% full message and the service electronic control that WILL leave you stranded, That's ALL avoided with ALFA if the need arises.

Vmac2

Dec 25, 2020
Truck Year
I'm not familiar with the 100% full issue. What exactly does that refer too and how would it leave me stranded? Thank you for explaining things! I'm new to diesels and have very little knowledge of them.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hey @Vmac2 -- if the DPF doesn't go through a full regeneration process at some point before it hits 100% , then the dealer has to force one. This is just a tool to help you in that situation.. if you drive it like you should, as in, take a nice highway drive and give the truck enough time to keep the DPF somewhat 'clean', then you should be ok! Drivers that do mostly city driving that never get on a nice stretch of road will have this issue.. this is with most diesels that have emissions now, not just the EcoDiesel.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Vmac2, I thank you for being so upfront and Honest I stop helping Some ED owners because that want someone just to fix their Problems leaving out pertinent info.

The 3.0VM is a Bluetech engine that mean its required to MEET Stick EPA/CAA emission laws, its equip with SCR Selective catalyst reduction, that consist of DPF Diesel particulate Filter, Catalyst Chamber and the DEF Diesel emissions fluid chamber, Diesel emission fluid is 67% Deionized Water and 33% Urea and is injected into the DEF Chamber by a DEF Injector.

Your 3.0VM when used in HWY will likely never see the 100% message because the DPF will passive regen and the soot content will not build up, when you DD Daily Use Stop & Go the filter will soot up and Need to Active Regen, this proceedure last about 10-12 Minutes at HWY Speeds if its NOT allow to finish it will Start at 70% Message than 80%-then BAM 100% your screwed the SEC message will appear and the countdown begins to Limp mode 30-20MPH, This is WHY YOU need ALFAOBD its capable of Putting the Engine in Stationary DE-Soot, When placed in this mode with conditions followed it will ramp Idle to 2200-2500 RPM and inject small amounts of Fuel at the exhaust stroke the Fuel will travel to the precious metals in the DPF and get 1000-1200F this will burn off the soot back to Normal and you can Drive , Some ALFA owners have been successful at removing the SEC message but in many cases it will need WITECH to remove that message, But as long as the DPF is de-sooted you can drive.

Vmac2

Dec 25, 2020
Truck Year
Makes sense! I still have 11k of factory warranty so I'm going to wait to hit 100k then purchase the ecodiseel Canada owners stage 2 setup for the truck. I need her to last me for several years! I'm just using it as a daily and really not towing anything so I hope I can keep her in good shape!

Vmac2

Dec 25, 2020
Truck Year
Vmac2, I thank you for being so upfront and Honest I stop helping Some ED owners because that want someone just to fix their Problems leaving out pertinent info.

The 3.0VM is a Bluetech engine that mean its required to MEET Stick EPA/CAA emission laws, its equip with SCR Selective catalyst reduction, that consist of DPF Diesel particulate Filter, Catalyst Chamber and the DEF Diesel emissions fluid chamber, Diesel emission fluid is 67% Deionized Water and 33% Urea and is injected into the DEF Chamber by a DEF Injector.

Your 3.0VM when used in HWY will likely never see the 100% message because the DPF will passive regen and the soot content will not build up, when you DD Daily Use Stop & Go the filter will soot up and Need to Active Regen, this proceedure last about 10-12 Minutes at HWY Speeds if its NOT allow to finish it will Start at 70% Message than 80%-then BAM 100% your screwed the SEC message will appear and the countdown begins to Limp mode 30-20MPH, This is WHY YOU need ALFAOBD its capable of Putting the Engine in Stationary DE-Soot, When placed in this mode with conditions followed it will ramp Idle to 2200-2500 RPM and inject small amounts of Fuel at the exhaust stroke the Fuel will travel to the precious metals in the DPF and get 1000-1200F this will burn off the soot back to Normal and you can Drive , Some ALFA owners have been successful at removing the SEC message but in many cases it will need WITECH to remove that message, But as long as the DPF is de-sooted you can drive.
Thank you that was very informative and helpful! Sounds like I definitely need to delete my truck, luckily in my area we don't require emissions for diesels! I do use it mostly as a DD however atlwast a few times a week im on the hwy for 30 mins at a time so hopefully this will help keep that from being an issue.

I do have another question for you, is their really a need to have your diesel warm up for prolong periods of time before you drive it? I've heard that and it would seem maybe thats the case unless you're going to be driving a good while which would allow the Temps to raise naturally anyhow. Just curious on the idea behind that and why it may or may not be correct.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Vamc2, Stay Here and Be patience, I will remember You or you can just PM, If you listen to the Seasoned owners and the experts that are Knowledgeable, Your 3.0VM long term ownership will be a happy one, the Ram Truck and trans is solid platform, I'm wanting to know how your wheel came off, Do I need Popcorn Heeeeheeee

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Vmac2, No, Idle time is Bank account withdrawal time, In temps above 30F Just start leave run for 1 minute or so and drive nicely until things warm up, Just add 1 minute for every 10F below 30F down to 0, at - 0 its up to You how long just don't make it regular 20 minutes+.

Vmac2

Dec 25, 2020
Truck Year
Vamc2, Stay Here and Be patience, I will remember You or you can just PM, If you listen to the Seasoned owners and the experts that are Knowledgeable, Your 3.0VM long term ownership will be a happy one, the Ram Truck and trans is solid platform, I'm wanting to know how your wheel came off, Do I need Popcorn Heeeeheeee

Well, I took my truck in for an oil change and tire rotation. On my way home I could hear a roaring noise in the front end. Pulled over, called dealer, they said they could fit me in first thing in the AM. 10 minutes later I notice cars slamming on breaks behind me and beside me on the HWY. Wheel breaks off from the truck, goes under the truck and I run it over. Long story short the mechanic didn't properly secure the lugs. Could of killed me. The dealer made it right and ate about 7k of negative equity on mine and put me in a 17 laramie with 89k on it. It's an unfortunate situation but fortunately I'm able to be in a fully loaded truck that I couldn't normally afford!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Stand Up Dealer Rare find, That must have been exciting.😁

Vmac2

Dec 25, 2020
Truck Year
Stand Up Dealer Rare find, That must have been exciting.😁
Luckily the gentleman that runs their used car sales is a long time friend from school. It worked out. They're also the largest diesel dealer on the east coast so I think they prefer to keep their reputation in tact, especially when they were at fault. Never can go wrong doing the right thing.

mad murdock

Sep 5, 2021
Truck Year
Can you expound for the noob, how AlfaOBD interfaces? Is it direct with a usb to OBD dongle? Or does it connect via Bluetooth to the truck? Thanks!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
file:///C:/Users/User/Pictures/OBD_%20MX+%20OBD2.html

1630955002498.png

mad murdock

Sep 5, 2021
Truck Year
Thanks TC Diesel! One quick follow up, does that link work with a peecee running windows? or Android only?

Augiedoggy

Aug 18, 2021
Truck Year
I just used one of these with alfaobd and no issues, it will work with windows or android

Augiedoggy

Aug 18, 2021
Truck Year
Does it have more functionality than the elm327 adapters? I used to just use it with torque pro but worked well with the alfaobd to program my new keys and I'm installing a lift and stepping up to 33" tires so ill be reprogramming the tire size with it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.