• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New to the forum! Where can I find a quality reman or complete new motor?

thanatos74

Apr 12, 2022
Truck Year
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. I bought a 2014 Laramie Longhorn back in October of last year. My hockey buddy takes it to his shop to clean it up and change the oil.
Bad news, metal shavings in the oil. LOTS of shavings. Looking at motor options, first we tried finding a donor, but can't find a donor motor with less miles than the one that is currently in the truck. So then we look at complete new replacement. Great idea, order one at a local dealer and it's been on backorder since Jan. 24. Called a couple of the places on the internet, MoparPartsGiant, MoparAccessoryGiant, Mopar Online Parts order, etc. I am unable to find a complete motor anywhere.
I then started trying reman sites, one of them, Jasper Engines, who is thought to be reputable, doesn't reman the EcoDiesel. I've called two other reman sites and they don't reman diesels either.
So, is there a source for complete engines, other than the one I've tried? I think there is a Jeep that used the same EcoDiesel, is that part number different from the Dodge RAM part number 5158048AF? Perhaps if the Jeep engine fits but has a different part number, I could search for that.
I did miss getting an engine by two hours today. They had one, the truck owner got tired of waiting and they transferred it before I called.
Is there a reliable, reputable source for remanned EcoDiesels?
Getting to my wit's end on this issue.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. I bought a 2014 Laramie Longhorn back in October of last year. My hockey buddy takes it to his shop to clean it up and change the oil.
Bad news, metal shavings in the oil. LOTS of shavings. Looking at motor options, first we tried finding a donor, but can't find a donor motor with less miles than the one that is currently in the truck. So then we look at complete new replacement. Great idea, order one at a local dealer and it's been on backorder since Jan. 24. Called a couple of the places on the internet, MoparPartsGiant, MoparAccessoryGiant, Mopar Online Parts order, etc. I am unable to find a complete motor anywhere.
I then started trying reman sites, one of them, Jasper Engines, who is thought to be reputable, doesn't reman the EcoDiesel. I've called two other reman sites and they don't reman diesels either.
So, is there a source for complete engines, other than the one I've tried? I think there is a Jeep that used the same EcoDiesel, is that part number different from the Dodge RAM part number 5158048AF? Perhaps if the Jeep engine fits but has a different part number, I could search for that.
I did miss getting an engine by two hours today. They had one, the truck owner got tired of waiting and they transferred it before I called.
Is there a reliable, reputable source for remanned EcoDiesels?
Getting to my wit's end on this issue.
The Jeep GC using the Eco is the same engine as the RAM with the exception of the oil pan and the oil filter housing. Other than that you have covered all the bases, I didn't see LKQ as one of your used engine sources.

Good Luck.

Pacifictime

Apr 18, 2022
Please let us know not only where you end up getting an engine but how the replacement works out. I would sure like to know the expenses involved too. This kind of stuff always interests me.

thanatos74

Apr 12, 2022
Truck Year
The Jeep GC using the Eco is the same engine as the RAM with the exception of the oil pan and the oil filter housing. Other than that you have covered all the bases, I didn't see LKQ as one of your used engine sources.

Good Luck.
GearHead,

I'm sorry I am just seeing your reply. I have been working a lot and the reply alert might have slipped under my radar?

Are you saying the Jeep Eco Diesel will fit in the RAM if you use the RAM oil pan and filter housing?

I think I tried LKQ after a suggestion from a friend locally. I think they quoted me 11.5K USD on a motor with 90K+ miles. I passed.

I am now trying to find the number of the place in Canada that supposedly offers rebuilt Eco's.

Thanks again for answer.

Be safe and stay well,

Rob

thanatos74

Apr 12, 2022
Truck Year
Please let us know not only where you end up getting an engine but how the replacement works out. I would sure like to know the expenses involved too. This kind of stuff always interests me.
Pacifictime,
Sure, will do. As far as I can tell, boneyards are starting to realize there aren't many complete ecodiesels coming into the states AND due to supply issues, rebuilt kits are not available. I was recently quoted 11.5K USD for a used 2014 Ecodiesel with 90K+ miles. I passed.

Anything I find I'll post it.

Regards all,

Rob