• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Newbie info

R3S

Nov 8, 2019
Truck Year
Just purchased my 2016 ecodiesel with 50000 miles and was wondering what I im
need to look out for in future mantainance and the dos and don'ts. Seems like a great truck and has plenty of power. I have a 27 foot 7200lb travel trailer I plan on pulling with this truck. Would air bags be a good choice?

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I would imagine with the tongue weight of your TT airbags wouldn't hurt. R U using a WDH?

Reactions: R3S

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
welcome 2 the group read some of the posts u r in for a lot of excirement

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Change your oil and filter every 10k, fuel filter every 20k, and rotate your tires at oil changes. Check your coolant level weekly and note it's level. Keep it at the seam (cold). There is a recall on the EGR coolers right now so if you are losing coolant it may be repaired for free. May check your axle fluids at 80k-100k. I think the transmission says it's 'lifetime' which means it's good to 150k. If I were just getting into a used EcoD first thing I would do is tune it. As far as I know there is only one company to contact stateside and that is SFT. There are Canadian options as well. A good tune will be your best investment. You want to eliminate the EGR. It is a nasty beast. Last piece of advice is if you are the worrying type, don't frequent the forums. You'll lose sleep at night. Good luck.

wayneva1

Nov 9, 2019
Truck Year
I purchased a new 2018 ram ecodiesel on sept 6 2019 it was a demo with 1995 miles on it I added 1000 to it and it said my exhaust filter was 100% full I just last week carried it back to the dealer to get it down to 0 I drive about 500 miles a month how often do I need to drive on interstate at 55 or more for 20 minutes to keep this from happening again this is my first ram truck and I don't know anything about a vehicle of any kind I wil be towing behind my motorhome it is a 4x4
Thanks for your help

Last edited:

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
I purchased a new 2018 ram ecodiesel on sept 6 2019 it was a demo with 1995 miles on it I added 1000 to it and it said my exhaust filter was 100% full I just last week carried it back to the dealer to get it down to 0 I drive about 500 miles a month how often do I need to drive on interstate at 55 or more for 20 minutes to keep this from happening again this is my first ram truck and I don't know anything about a vehicle of any kind I wil be towing behind my motorhome it is a 4x4
Thanks for your help
I don't post much on this Forum, but noticed you don"t drive it much and tow it behind your motorhome. Just to let you know that is what I also do, they tow great, I have owned a dozen diesels, currently have the 2017 Ram, also a X% BMW Diesel, I won't preach just a couple things, if you like the way it drives, as I did when I bought mine new 2 years ago, I added the SFT engine tune with their trans tune, it makes the truck run better than good. As for freeway driving, yes get it on the highway a couple of times a month and drive it at full temperature to get the regeneration process complete, change the oil once a year with your low miles. If your coach has air brakes, I strongly recommend the M&G brake system, hope this helps

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
No, no!! Visit the forums! :D

Users just need to form their own opinion. (y)

Ha you are correct. What I meant to say was stick around, be a contributing member, and spread the gospel of Jeff's awesome site.

R3S

Nov 8, 2019
Truck Year
Change your oil and filter every 10k, fuel filter every 20k, and rotate your tires at oil changes. Check your coolant level weekly and note it's level. Keep it at the seam (cold). There is a recall on the EGR coolers right now so if you are losing coolant it may be repaired for free. May check your axle fluids at 80k-100k. I think the transmission says it's 'lifetime' which means it's good to 150k. If I were just getting into a used EcoD first thing I would do is tune it. As far as I know there is only one company to contact stateside and that is SFT. There are Canadian options as well. A good tune will be your best investment. You want to eliminate the EGR. It is a nasty beast. Last piece of advice is if you are the worrying type, don't frequent the forums. You'll lose sleep at night. Good luck.
Yes I plan on changing the program and deleat the EGR. We have no emissions were I live and I dont plan on ever selling the truck. I just pass them down to my sons or grandchildren one day. When I first started reading the horror stories I was about ready to sell it. But it seems the engine is a good base motor but has crappy emissions and REALLY CRAPPY PROGRAMMING!! I'm actually excited to see what its potential can really become!! Thanks for the info!👍
WDH = Weight Distribution Hitch.

Welcome to the forum!
Of course that's what that means. Really I had no idea. I'm not good at Jeopardy. Yes I do have one of those on my rig. I'm looking at the Firestone air bags they seem to have the best reviews.

R3S

Nov 8, 2019
Truck Year
Does oil pressure fluctuate on your trucks? Mine goes from 17psi at idle to a high of 50 psi on passing someone on highway. Also tire pressure sensors. Are they a problem with these trucks. I have aftermarket tires and rims which came with the truck so I have no idea of the history of the sensors. My air pressure light is on and my tires are at proper inflation. I really dont give a damn about this stupid sensor but that light Bugs me knowing it's on all the time. Stupid little quirk of my OCD!!😫😫

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Does oil pressure fluctuate on your trucks? Mine goes from 17psi at idle to a high of 50 psi on passing someone on highway. Also tire pressure sensors. Are they a problem with these trucks. I have aftermarket tires and rims which came with the truck so I have no idea of the history of the sensors. My air pressure light is on and my tires are at proper inflation. I really dont give a damn about this stupid sensor but that light Bugs me knowing it's on all the time. Stupid little quirk of my OCD!!😫😫

yes oil pressure varies with engine speed!

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Yea I can't have a bad TPMS sensor either. Sounds like a trip to your local tire shop is in order...

hossman

Oct 3, 2019
Truck Year
Just purchased my 2016 ecodiesel with 50000 miles and was wondering what I im
need to look out for in future mantainance and the dos and don'ts. Seems like a great truck and has plenty of power. I have a 27 foot 7200lb travel trailer I plan on pulling with this truck. Would air bags be a good choice?
I agree with below, But I would change your oil every 5,000 miles that 50% of what is recommended unless you make modifications. The oil I run with delete and insane bypass filter I can go over 40,000.

R3S

Nov 8, 2019
Truck Year
I agree with below, But I would change your oil every 5,000 miles that 50% of what is recommended unless you make modifications. The oil I run with delete and insane bypass filter I can go over 40,000.
Are you running an Amsoil bypass filtration system? And doing oil dialysis.

R3S

Nov 8, 2019
Truck Year
I don't post much on this Forum, but noticed you don"t drive it much and tow it behind your motorhome. Just to let you know that is what I also do, they tow great, I have owned a dozen diesels, currently have the 2017 Ram, also a X% BMW Diesel, I won't preach just a couple things, if you like the way it drives, as I did when I bought mine new 2 years ago, I added the SFT engine tune with their trans tune, it makes the truck run better than good. As for freeway driving, yes get it on the highway a couple of times a month and drive it at full temperature to get the regeneration process complete, change the oil once a year with your low miles. If your coach has air brakes, I strongly recommend the M&G brake system, hope this helps
So you say that SFT system is really a good product? Are you running stage 1 or 2? I'm looking to get this next month and theres no emissions where I live so the stage 2 sounds like it's a good fit plus the OBD2 down load sounds more convenient and affordable then the other companies I've been reviewing.I spoke with GDE and there shut down rightnow but not out of the game just trying to get back in and be legal. HD Diesel Supply looks to be a simalar product as HDE. But the OBD2 and the convenience of flashing back and forth if need be for warranty work seems the logical choice. There performance numbers all look pretty close to me. I'm not looking for stump pulling torque just a dependable truck that will get me and the family down the road and back with our travel trailer without being sidelined by the all the problems FCA designed into the truck so dealers have job security.